Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Premium will never hurt, but it is a waste of money if you dont get anything extra out of it.
But, you are getting something extra out of it. Most Top Tier brands add extra detergents to their premium line (I know Chevron put twice as much Techron into Super as they did the regular and mid-grade). Same principle with the Nitro+ additives in the Shell line. So, it's not JUST about the octane rating. Now, does the engine/manufacturer require that? Of course not. But, I'm okay paying for it knowing I'm getting those extra additives AND knowing my ECU isn't going crazy adjusting everything to match which ever grade (octane rating) gasoline I decided to buy that week.

--JamesT

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is somewhat trudirect injected engines it makes pretty much no difference. Again, not 1990 with port injection just squirting fuel all over everything all the way from the throttle body, through the intake, through the heads, finally into the cylinder to ignite. Direct injection gives very precise control to the engine ECU for fuel management. This is the main reason premium is not required. When you consider the fuel atomizes and burns instantly after injected.... nothing gets dirty. Some people like to think top tier fuel will help with the carbon build up some manufacturers (looking at you VW) get in their DI engines. That is also false. Carbon is the bi product of burnt ethanol in the fuel. If you can find ethanol free fuel, that is actually beneficial for carbon prevention. But the highest power fuel out there is super high ethanol. E85 is the best performance fuel out there that is readily available. But at 85% ethanol, it can dirty up an engine pretty quick.

·
Registered
65 Posts
So I read through 6 pages of comments. So uh is 93 > 91? What's the optimal gas for our vn lol. Is 93 better for insurance? Is 91 optimal?

I found that Wawa's gas station offers 4 types of gas. 87 89 91 93

Also I keep hearing conflict in top tier gas. From it being legit to it being marketing. For example Some employees Swear that they all come from the same places

·
Registered
114 Posts
Some employees Swear that they all come from the same places
That is essentially true. There are only so many petroleum refineries in the US (and the world). Some brands have their own; others get supplied by the bigger brands. Crude goes to the refineries, petroleum products exit the other side ( VASTLY over-simplified, but you get the point ). Pipelines distribute out to the hubs where the brands each house their proprietary blend of 11 herbs and spices to be added as the local trucks fill up and deliver to the stations. (The privateer stations pull their supply from the same hubs, but likely no additives.)

To offer an opinion to your first question (which is optimal), I'd say, like most answers: it depends. Short answer: no. Long answer: ...sorta depends on your application. On the track or hooning around? 91-93 is probably a better bet. Daily driving in normal/eco (no hooning)? Any will do. It's when your application changes is likely where you need a consistent octane rating for the ECU adapt to (e.g. daily driving and having an AutoX day coming up: swap to 91/93 well before the AutoX event to establish new trends in the ECU). :shrugs:

·
Super Moderator
881 Posts
I NEVER use anything but the top tier fuel which is 93 here. I don't take any chances with a hot turbo. A cleaner engine & less timing pulled is a good thing.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
127 Posts
But, you are getting something extra out of it. Most Top Tier brands add extra detergents to their premium line (I know Chevron put twice as much Techron into Super as they did the regular and mid-grade). Same principle with the Nitro+ additives in the Shell line. So, it's not JUST about the octane rating. Now, does the engine/manufacturer require that? Of course not. But, I'm okay paying for it knowing I'm getting those extra additives AND knowing my ECU isn't going crazy adjusting everything to match which ever grade (octane rating) gasoline I decided to buy that week.

--JamesT
While premium doesn't give you "something extra" it does give you the horsepower/torque that you actually paid for.
While the anti-knock can detect lower octane gas and pull timing, you will lose power and efficiency. Enough to offset the extra cost of premium? Maybe, maybe not. But personally, it's a small price to pay for something to run as advertised.

Regarding 91 vs 93, I'd always put the best available gas in. In my area, none of the stations carries 93. I'm told "it's too expensive" while they charge a $0.40-60 over regular for premium already. I usually choose non-oxygenated Premium when available, and there's a couple of stations that have 92, but aren't close enough to my house to make it worth filling up there unless I'm in the area and need gas. Why burn a gallon of gas to fill up with one octane point higher?

Anyway, when I am traveling and 91 isn't available on my other turbo vehicles, I put the best I can in it. 91, 92, 93 all meet the minimum requirements. I do notice better performance on 93, generally better MPG at the very least.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts