Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
The manual says 91 for a reason. The salesman hasn't read the manual and ONLY wants to sell cars. If he feels that telling you saving $.93 per fill up on 87 will help sell a car, that's what he'll do. Plus when the engine has issues in 3 years and you have to trade the car in.... He gets another sale!

Turbo engines require better fuel. But the bigger concern is that this has a GDI engine.

Direct injection engines require not only high octane, but also Top Tier fuels. If you want to save money on gas, you bought the wrong car. Get an Ioniq.

Top Tier fuel is probably more important than high octane. Carbon build up on the intake valves is a big direct injection issue. There's no additive to help with this carbon build up so the only way (other than a valve job or walnut shells) to to take care of it is to prevent it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
$0.93. I Wish !!!

The manual says 91 for a reason. The salesman hasn't read the manual and ONLY wants to sell cars. If he feels that telling you saving $.93 per fill up on 87 will help sell a car, that's what he'll do. Plus when the engine has issues in 3 years and you have to trade the car in.... He gets another sale!

Turbo engines require better fuel. But the bigger concern is that this has a GDI engine.

Direct injection engines require not only high octane, but also Top Tier fuels. If you want to save money on gas, you bought the wrong car. Get an Ioniq.

Top Tier fuel is probably more important than high octane. Carbon build up on the intake valves is a big direct injection issue. There's no additive to help with this carbon build up so the only way (other than a valve job or walnut shells) to to take care of it is to prevent it.
Here in Ontario Canada 91is between 15 and 20 cents per liter more than 87.

·
Registered
876 Posts

This is why it needs to be hammered regularly. I'm not advocating breaking speed laws but up to the speed limit. What you do beyond this, is your decision.

Actually there are ways to circumvent carbon buildup on intake valves. It's called BG GDI service. Performed at 15K intervals, the valves will stay clean and free from carbon deposit formation. You can also run Archoil (I believe I spelled that right) and Cerma Additive. Both will protect the valves.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Gas additives won't protect or clean the valves at all. The gas does not ever contact the back sides of the intake valves and that's the problem.

I could see a BG service helping though.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Fuel/Air/Water vapor from the crankcase and blowby are recirculated over the Intake valves to the cylinder to be burnt during combustion. The amount of blowby from the rings and PCV system will determine the amount of carbon deposit that will form on intake valves & piston heads during this process. The BG system will remove all such deposits from the valves. FI is also affected by the clogging which reduces performance in as little as 1500 miles. The use of top tier fuel and FI cleaner like Chevron Techron will keep FI system clean as well as exhaust valves.

It's the only service that will keep the entire system clean and free of performance robbing carbon deposits.

·
Super Moderator
881 Posts
I found that Mobil 93 makes my VN run the best. I have tried them all and the Mobil brand is all I use now. Their additives are great in the gas. Makes it seem like there is octane boost in it.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
As stated previously (but apparently unnoticed by many of the posts), modern engines use knock sensors that detect the onset of detonation, where they retard the spark to eliminate knock. So if you use a low octane fuel, you won’t be making the horsepower as advertised by the manufacturer - as well, you won’t bet getting the fuel mileage as advertised.
Recommending a higher octane fuel provides coverage for any potential liability.
In short, you won’t destroy your engine: period! But you will experience reduced performance.

Too much ignorance on one side, propaganda on the other side, and in the middle a litigious Population looking to win the lotto via the courts.

And yes, I use the highest octane fuel I can get because I wring this little car’s neck every time I get in;) sooo much fun driving the wheels off it!!! And at such a reasonable price!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Come on now!!! You make too much sense. Quit being so obvious!!!!!

As stated previously (but apparently unnoticed by many of the posts), modern engines use knock sensors that detect the onset of detonation, where they retard the spark to eliminate knock. So if you use a low octane fuel, you won’t be making the horsepower as advertised by the manufacturer - as well, you won’t bet getting the fuel mileage as advertised.
Recommending a higher octane fuel provides coverage for any potential liability.
In short, you won’t destroy your engine: period! But you will experience reduced performance.

Too much ignorance on one side, propaganda on the other side, and in the middle a litigious Population looking to win the lotto via the courts.

And yes, I use the highest octane fuel I can get because I wring this little car’s neck every time I get in/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif sooo much fun driving the wheels off it!!! And at such a reasonable price!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
91 from Canadian Tire

I've been using 91 premium from Canadian Tire 0 alcohol.
Th N seems to like it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've been using 93 since the first drop I put in it. To be honest I'm scared to put 87 in it just to see what it does and if I can tell the hp drop or not. Naw not gonna do it.

·
Super Moderator
881 Posts
I've been using 93 since the first drop I put in it. To be honest I'm scared to put 87 in it just to see what it does and if I can tell the hp drop or not. Naw not gonna do it.
Me too. Won't use anything but the highest octane possible.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
This thread is older but I figured I would post my experience with gas since it just happened. When my car was delivered it had a full tank of 87. I didn't get any knock or adverse symptoms. However, when I put a half tank of 93 I definitely noticed a big difference in performance.

I must have been really lucky because I got to go on an extended test drive through some twisties.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought mine a few days ago and the dealership filled it up with 87 before I left. While we were out test driving, the salesman told me specifically that 87 is fine.

I'm a little over 200 miles in the tank and once I get near empty I'll fill it with the best we have around here, 91. I'm not expecting any real performance difference, but hopefully the 91 will give it a bit more pop. The car is great, but I am slightly underwhelmed by the acceleration... but that could be because my last car had over 500rwhp. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
From what i understand, the car adjusts to accept 87 but is engineered to run best on 91 or above. Technically 87 is fine, i used to run it myself, but i determined 93 is the best for longevity especially with my mods. Car just feels better running on 93. It did bog a bit when i changed, like the car didnt like the mixture at first but after 3 or so tanks of 93 shes been running great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There seems to be a bit of confusion out there as to what gas to use in the N.
The dealer told me regular was good, however the manual recommends 91 octane.
What are your thoughts and what are you using ?
I ONLY use 91 octane from Chevron.. Yes its .30 cents more than most gas stations, but the quality is worth it. People pinch pennies at the gas pump, but .30 cents on say 10 gallons is only $3.00 compared to cheap gas stations. No ARCO!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I ONLY use 91 octane from Chevron.. Yes its .30 cents more than most gas stations, but the quality is worth it. People pinch pennies at the gas pump, but .30 cents on say 10 gallons is only $3.00 compared to cheap gas stations. No ARCO!!
Same here only chevron is the cheepest in my area. Exept for BJs or costco but i swear that gas is made of dirt because any car i put it in runs like ass for weeks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I understand that Hyundai is new to the sporty car scene, but there is a whole lot of bad information in this thread. Let me start by saying this isnt the 90s anymore. Turbocharged cars are not some crazy exotic thing that only supercars and midnight racers get. They are on everything now. Straight up econobox civics get a turbo. The old belief that premium is required for boost is 100% not true. Technology, engine component materials, and tuning have come a long way. There is a very VERY simple way to know what type of fuel your car can use. Open the gas door and see what it says. If it says premium 91+ octane REQUIRED, it means just that. YOU MUST use at least 91. If it says 91+ octane RECOMMEND..... its a suggestion. you do not have to. In some cases there may be a slight loss of peak horsepower (but not torque) with lower octane, but not in all cases. This has been the case for many years. All the Ford ecoboost engines are this way, Mazda turbo vehicles, Hondas.... etc. Premium will never hurt, but it is a waste of money if you dont get anything extra out of it.

81 - 100 of 106 Posts