Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be a bit of confusion out there as to what gas to use in the N.
The dealer told me regular was good, however the manual recommends 91 octane.
What are your thoughts and what are you using ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
There seems to be a bit of confusion out there as to what gas to use in the N.
The dealer told me regular was good, however the manual recommends 91 octane.
What are your thoughts and what are you using ?
91 ONLY !!! if your dealer told you regular thats a problem !

·
Banned
127 Posts
91 octane as read in the Owners Manual and do not use any octane boosters, they don't work anyway most are alcohol based and actually lower the octane rating of the fuel. If I could get higher thru the pumps in our state, I'd run higher. Do not use regular or mid grade in the N. The N has a 9:5.1 compression ratio and runs over 20 lbs. boost. A similar Theta 2.0 engine without a turbo can run regular. However ,with this kind of boost and it requires, premium top tier fuel. Regular grade fuels will cause pinging and detonation, which is very bad for any engine.

The salesman, nor your dealer has any idea or knows very little about the N. Read the manual and stick to what it recommends. May try some VP Racing fuel also..

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
36 Posts
#91andUp

·
Registered
37 Posts
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-hyundai-veloster-n-gets/

"it runs on good, old-fashioned 87-octane"

Even motortrend specifically reports regular 87 is ok.

Everything I have read as well as some words from Albert Bierman in interview stated regular 97 can be "safely" used but does so at a "reduced performance."

My dealer even made a point to specifically say I could run 87 if I wanted.

Again all that being said I only run 94 in mine.

·
Banned
127 Posts
They're goofy and Albert Bierman needs to read the N owners manual.:grin:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have just over 4000 miles on my N (non PP ) i have had on problems running 87 here in Alabama when i go on a trip i use mid or premium depending on how far i intend to go . the dealership told me I could run regular 87 with no problem . depending on price i probably run mid most of the time soooooo.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have just over 4000 miles on my N (non PP ) i have had on problems running 87 here in Alabama when i go on a trip i use mid or premium depending on how far i intend to go . the dealership told me I could run regular 87 with no problem . depending on price i probably run mid most of the time soooooo.....

How often do you push your car to the limit?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't know crap about fuels but a buddy of mine was a really good Dyno tuner for motorcycles and when he tuned my bike, he said to fill it with 89 octane, I know my GSXR had higher compression than this car does so is high octane really that necessary or does the computer pick up on it somehow and turn the juice up so to speak? When I had my Speed3, I swapped back and forth between 93 and 89 and I swore it ran better on 89, maybe it was the power of suggestion but it certainly ran no worse on it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you put anything other than 91 you're asking for trouble. The manual states 91 + octane.

Using 89 or 87 octane will cause detonation at higher rpm and boost. Plus don't tell your service manager you've been utilizing 89 or 87 octane. They will note it and then when you have problems, cite it as part of the possible cause to the problem.

Don't do it!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you put anything other than 91 you're asking for trouble. The manual states 91 + octane.

Using 89 or 87 octane will cause detonation at higher rpm and boost. Plus don't tell your service manager you've been utilizing 89 or 87 octane. They will note it and then when you have problems, cite it as part of the possible cause to the problem.

Don't do it!!
Agreed! I see it happen in our dealerships more often than you would think. If the service writer notates you using any other fuel than recommended, your power train warranty gets voided. I've seen it happen at my Hyundai, Mazda and Subaru stores.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Since this is a thread, clearly it's not clear. Heck Honda even puts the recommendation for Premium inside the gas door of the SI. High end performance cars used to say Premium only under the gas gauge and inside the fuel door. No offense, but I wanted to know for certain and not rely on 'some guy on the internet said'. The sport bikes I own have much higher compression and redline in the stratosphere compared to the N and I only run 87 octane unless I'm having ethanol issues (it sucks in bikes) and trying to clean it up. Then again they aren't turbo. So I called Hyundai, I got transferred around and no one could give me a straight answer. They forwarded to their engineering department and I'm waiting to hear back. Motor Trend reported that it runs on 87. The EPA lists it has regular for type of fuel (they list what the manufacturers tell them). Motor Trend says Hyundai told them it was designed to run on 87 (heresay I'll admit). The underwriter at the store I bought it told me that it will run fine on 87 but he recommends that it run on 91+ (which I am doing by the way) as it will perform to its peak that way. Hyundai would have a hard time voiding a warranty considering all of this.

What Hyundai and the service underwriter both told me was that they strongly encourage you to only use Top Tier fuel. Top Tier fuel is NOT like saying top shelf alcohol (as in the good stuff), it's a brand name. If you don't see the logo below on the pump or in the store, buy somewhere else.

·
Registered
310 Posts
How many other Hyundai models on the lot require 91 octane? I don't the answer but I'm guessing it's a low number (possibly even 0?) I hope my dealership put 91 octane in before I took delivery of it but something tells me chances are low, especially with a relatively new model that may have requirements dealerships are not accustomed to yet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It is in French, but you should have the same in the English as well...

Votre nouveau véhicule est conçu
pour fonctionner uniquement avec
une essence sans plomb à indice
d'octane ((R+M)/2) de 91 (indice
d'octane recherche de 95) ou plus.
(Ne pas utiliser d'essence-méthanol)

·
Registered
26 Posts
@guygeo: Yep, sure does. No one is arguing that. The issue is varying information that is coming from different sources (read earlier posts if you don't know what I'm referring to). It's curious that it doesn't say it on the fuel door if it's required. Very few drivers are nerds like us that actually read the owners manual. 1st thing I do with a new car is familiarize myself with maintenance schedule and confirmation of what I was told during delivery. If there is a discrepancy in the later I contact the manufacturer to find out what is correct.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts