Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to go down to 18s for summer. Ideally id go 18s for winter too, but the idea of buying two sets of wheels off the bat seems a bit much.

Has anyone used their PP 19s and put winter rubber on? I feel like with more sidewall it would do alright.

Let me know!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think it depends on where you live. I live in Chicago and I've been through three Pirelli PZ4 tires already in just 6,500 miles on my PP this summer, and I'm a very careful driver. There is very little sidewall between the tire and the rim, so if you hit pretty much any pothole, the sidewall will collapse into the rim and then blister, or the edge of the road hazzard will contact the rim, dig into it a little, and then the metal will cut the tire. Either way. This was never an issue on my cars with 18" or smaller rims.

In winter, potholes tend to be worse due to temperature changes between freezing and above freezing, and you can't see them if there's snow on the ground. So unless you live in a rural area with glass smooth roads, there's no way in [censored] I'd drive this car in winter with 19" tires unless you want to buy tires by the gross. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
557 Posts
On my Genesis Coupe I went down to 17" rims for my winter tires. That was specifically to deal with pot holes. They have worked out really well over the years. I am kind of thinking that when the P Zeros are spent I may go to an 18" rim with performance all-seasons. The all-season is really for tread wear.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you are going to be in any kind of snow or ice you should run mud/ snow tires. I recommend the Bridgestone Blizzak ws80 best snow tires I have ever had. I would go to an 18-in rim anyway much easier to find tires and you'll shave off 10 pounds per wheel, you will feel the difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts