Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

Winter Wheel Selection

34K views 43 replies 22 participants last post by  Maritimer_N 
#1 ·
Given the enormity of the brakes on the VN, we are left with having to utilize decent size rims for winter setups.

Who else is rocking winter rims/tires and what types?

I have Michelin X-Ice X13's mounted on Fast Switch 18x8.0+45 in satin black. These rims have a specific finish that is "winter approved" by fast wheels.

The tires so far have been phenomenal, had a huge snowfall over the last couple days and the car tractored through no problem. I am really digging the look of the wheels, just wish I could keep them clean in this crap.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I switched over to this thread for the winter wheels topic. Yours look better than the OEM wheels for sure. I actually like the X-Ice X13 tire so that is my choice, but now I have to decide on a wheel. I don't think Fast Wheels are sold here, at least not at the Tire Rack. Do you know what they mean by "Winter Approved"? Here they clear coat the wheels which I think would protect them.

And just out of curiosity, do you guys get heated seats and wheel and folding mirrors there? Before I retired, I went to Montreal a lot and had a co-worker who had a 2016 Veloster (as did I) and he had stuff that I couldn't get here in the US. It gets just as cold here as there and I really would like a heated steering wheel!

#3 ·
I switched over to this thread for the winter wheels topic. Yours look better than the OEM wheels for sure. I actually like the X-Ice X13 tire so that is my choice, but now I have to decide on a wheel. I don't think Fast Wheels are sold here, at least not at the Tire Rack. Do you know what they mean by "Winter Approved"? Here they clear coat the wheels which I think would protect them.

And just out of curiosity, do you guys get heated seats and wheel and folding mirrors there? Before I retired, I went to Montreal a lot and had a co-worker who had a 2016 Veloster (as did I) and he had stuff that I couldn't get here in the US. It gets just as cold here as there and I really would like a heated steering wheel!
They are a Canadian alloy wheel manufacturer and make really high quality stuff. The winter approved is from their winter catalogue. The wheels are guaranteed to hold up against weather related issues and road salt ect and maintain their finish with a 3 year warranty.

In Canada heated seats/wheel are standard. As far as I know the power folding mirrors are a Europe thing.

#5 ·
I already kinda figured this but wow I need winter tires ASAP. I get the car up to about 5000-6000RPM in 2nd or 3rd gear in the NY cold with just a little salt on the roads (no snow) and the tires spin and break free. Should I get purrelli winter tires? I noticed they were really exspensive.

#12 ·
I know this topic has been dead for awhile and it's now off-season (the best time to actually buy winter tires at discount).

I figured I would share my set up as I live in a place that gets -40 (c and f) and stays there for at least a month a year. For brake clearance I chose the cheapest 18x8 alloy wheels I could find (turns out to be Core racing black "impulse" wheels with a significant discount, steels didn't fit). Combine that with the best winter tires I could get, which are the Nokian 225/40R18 92T XL Hakkapeliitta R3's.

I have yet to own a set of wheels that have withstood a winter here without damage, that's why I buy whatever wheel is the most discounted. Then again, I am that guy who loves hooning it up on the ice after the street is plowed, which is monumentally bad for the wheels.

#15 ·
I recently ordered wheels and tires for the winter. I live in Virginia and our winters aren't as crazy as the northern states and Canada. But it does get pretty cold and every three to four years, we get some insane snow storms.

The setup I got is Drag DR-31 18x8 Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 225/45R18. Tire is pretty new. Apparently longer last than the previous version. Looking forward to driving the car on snow days 😁

Attachments

#41 ·
I recently ordered wheels and tires for the winter. I live in Virginia and our winters aren't as crazy as the northern states and Canada. But it does get pretty cold and every three to four years, we get some insane snow storms.

The setup I got is Drag DR-31 18x8 Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 225/45R18. Tire is pretty new. Apparently longer last than the previous version. Looking forward to driving the car on snow days 😁
I ended up with the exact same setup! Fitment and winter performance are great
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

#20 ·
After a few weeks of going back and forth about winter tires, I finally decided to get the 225/40R18 Vredestein Quatrac Pro XL on Moda MD14 18X8 wheels. We have the potential of bad weather here maybe 5-6 months of the year, but usually not extreme or often enough to dedicate to a true winter tire (I hope I just didn't jinx it). I don't drive all that much day to day, but I do take long trips to Montreal, Tuscon, and Naples at least once a year, and that would eat up a true winter tire pretty quick. My experience with Blizzaks in the past is that they really do extremely well in ice and snow, but the tread life is at best 2 seasons (20k to 25k miles), unless they have gotten better in the past few years, I don't know. Anyway, these tires have a 3 flake rating, so they won't be terrible in snow, but we'll see - I know they couldn't be worse then the OEM tire ;-)

Funny thing is that the Moda wheels look pretty close to the OEM wheels and that wasn't my intention HAHA And in my opinion, they still fill the wheel well pretty good too.

Attachments

#33 ·
So here in Duluth, MN we had close to 3 feet of snow over the last three days. I realized as I was driving to work this morning (I didn't drive at all during the snow storm, they didn't plow my street till yesterday so I couldn't get out) was the snow caked on the inside of my wheels drastically affecting wheel balance.

I run older Honda Accord wheels on my RSX for winter use, a seven spoke, 16" wheel. The problem is, it makes clearing the snow from the inside difficult if it gets packed in.

So, when picking your winter wheels, a five spoke design with lots of clearance to get a brush in and clear the snow out is a good idea if you want to not bounce down the road.

#34 ·
Base wheels on PP?

Hi all, we just picked up our 2020 VN PP two weeks ago, but don't drive it much because it does not have winter tires. I had purchased a set of winter wheels and tires from TireRack for our Speed3 years ago but they were never quite right, so eventually we got OE wheels for winter and now they are awesome.

I am wondering if anyone with the PP has tried using Base VN wheels for the winter set. Will they clear the brakes and calipers?

If possible, I would rather run 18's on the winter set just because there are more winter tire selections and the price is much cheaper.

Thanks for your help!

#35 ·
Hi all, we just picked up our 2020 VN PP two weeks ago, but don't drive it much because it does not have winter tires. I had purchased a set of winter wheels and tires from TireRack for our Speed3 years ago but they were never quite right, so eventually we got OE wheels for winter and now they are awesome.

I am wondering if anyone with the PP has tried using Base VN wheels for the winter set. Will they clear the brakes and calipers?

If possible, I would rather run 18's on the winter set just because there are more winter tire selections and the price is much cheaper.

Thanks for your help!
Low cost is why I went with 17's. I was able to get the set of wheels and tires out the door for $900 (actually $850 after rebate) at discount tire. I was worried that they might look too small on the car, but I think they turned out okay.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.