Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know If I'm unlucky or if others are experiencing anything similar: I've had the car for roughly 20 days/ 1k miles driven and have already caught two rock chips in the front windshield of the N. Got them both patched/replaced immediately without needing to get the whole windshield replaced thankfully but now wondering how common this is.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had my N since 1/2/19 and havent had a single problem yet. Have you been on a track or had this problem with other cars? other than that i would say its just a spurt of bad luck . Oh and stay away from dump trucks heavy equipment haulers and large truck in general they have a history of small stuff being thrown by the tires and it is generally a good idea not to follow closely stay beside (incase of tires blowing) i drove big trucks for a while in my youth and have seen this up close and personal .

be safe out there

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've only had mine two weeks and I have pits in my windshield from a twin hopper dump truck. Yeah, I tried to avoid it by staying far left and far, far behind on a six land highway and still got sprayed from debris getting kicked up by cars in front of me.

They make film specifically for windshield protection. I'm thinking about getting it installed. 150~250 for the install. Or, just wait for more damage and get a new windshield for 450.

·
Registered
876 Posts
A lot of damage to windshields, has to do with the conditions you are driving the under. It's the same with any other vehicle.

If you're driving on highways regularly at higher speeds, you'll see more pitting, especially with certain road conditions. If the highway has I high degree of debris and surrounding vehicles are throwing up this degris, there will be more pitting. I'm not talking about the kind you can see, it's the smaller debris which causes the damage. Debris similar to; little micro stones coming off the tires of other vehicles in front of you,. They're like little bullets hitting the windshield constantly. They cause pitting at higher speeds. If they're bigger, they generally break a windshield.

If you have a tendency to follow to closely to other vehicles at higher speeds, you'll notice more damage.

Areas where there is a lot of dirt or debris being carried on to the highway road surfaces by; aggregate, concrete, 4WD and construction vehicles, combined with higher speeds, will cause noticeably more pitting damage, much quicker.

If you live in areas where there are is sand, dusty and high wind conditions, combined with higher speeds, will deteriorate windshields quicker. Silica powders are used to polish windshields and dust or sand has silica in it. You're not polishing it, it's being bombarded by it.

It's not the fault in the windshield, it's the way it being utilized, the care that's being taken and the conditions it's being utilized in.

There are remedies as well; You can utilize a glass polishing kit to remove such irregularities. Have the windshield laminated, just like you would the body with PPF. Yes it is available, you just have to take extra care, make sure it stays clean and don't utilize the windshield wipers dry. Lasts for about a year or two. It's a plus, if you live in an area where there are dirt and poorly maintained roads. It's not inexpensive either and will cost between $300-$500. However, you can eat this amount up and much more, with one windshield replacement.

Again, actual glass polishing and waxing the windshield will help immensely. We simply do not take care of our windshields, like we do the paint and body. They require equal care for them to be protected and last.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Also cracked my whole windshield in the first 1500 miles. Need to get it fully replaced just haven’t had time because all the places around me close at 3 due to quarantine and I was on the road for a week. Should be getting replacement tomorrow

1 - 8 of 8 Posts