Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
161 - 180 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
257 Posts
It might. So bigger the rotor, the easier it is to fit calipers on wheels. It will push the caliper closer to the barrel and have less risk to hit the spokes.

Reference:

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
257 Posts
Guitar accessory Bicycle part Bicycle saddle String instrument accessory Font

I put R12s and R8s.
I put the titanium plates on the R12s.
I put loctite on the bracket to spindle bolts.
I need to bed the pads to the rotors.
I'm ready for this Saturdays track cross

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
257 Posts
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Small update from the Track Cross. Brakes did pretty well. R12s are a bit too mild as far as cold friction. After couple of turns, they did start performing well.

Even during the lunch laps, I couldn't get the brakes hot enough to register anything on the temp stickers. I definitely enjoyed the pedal feel. Lots of confidence in the brakes.

Since the piston volume is less than stock, you can use more pedal pressure. It was easier to modulate and trail the brakes. This was very limited testing, though! Track cross doesn't provide a ton of seat time.

This upcoming weekend, I will be at VIR for two day HPDE for Hyperfest with NASA. My buddy with his Red VN will be there too. He will use my RSL2s. So it will be a good comparison.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
257 Posts
Finally did a proper test of the braking system at VIR! Some stats on my run: 86mph avg. Top speed 129.7mph.
Ecoregion Vertebrate Map World Green

Attached the track addict laptime. The graph is the longitudinal g-forces. Accel and decel. I was near 1G of braking 5-7 times a lap.

I was really trying push the brake system. R12s aren't aggressive enough to generate a excessive heat. Pad didn't fade. I did use a decent amount of the pads. I have about 14mm left.

Vehicle Hood Car Automotive lighting Automotive design
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle wheel

Rotors are heat checked. Totally expected it to happen. We will see how the cracks expand as I do more event and heat cycle them more.

Pedal pressure was great. Towards the end of the weekend, I did feel the pedal get a little softer. I thought it was the fluid. When I switched back to GS-1, pedal pressure was as stiff as before. This is likely due to R12 compound. Plus it's worn way more than the GS-1s. It could also be pad knock back. I was taking all the curbs at VIR. Aero6 pistons have anti-knockback springs. So they push the pads back to the rotor, but it could be that it wasn't fast enough (e.g. turn 3-4 when I go wide, I take the curbing on the right and brake right after it almost). In the future, I might try tapping the brakes with my left foot.

Even with that, I still didn't have any braking issues. I got in a ABS multiple times this weekend and car handled it fine.

I had an interesting experience with R8s in the rear. By session 3, they were "bedded in". Rear brakes do so little that they barely get hot. After the third sessions, I had the car go sideways when I trailed the brakes or brakes with a slight steering angle. It felt like the rear pads started to bite harder. It was an interesting experience. I ended up using that to my advantage to trial the brakes and get the back to rotate much easier.

Overall: great experience. I wasn't worrying about brake at all and continued pushing.

Tire Cloud Wheel Car Sky
Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I was going to say heat checking for sure. You can have that lathe turned out though. Don’t chuck them the rotor grove is deep enough for one turn.

Just find a good brake shop that has a regularly used brake lathe.😃👍🇺🇸

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
257 Posts
Yeah I could do that. I think by the end of the next season, the rotors will be properly cracked and will need to be replaced. Stepping up to the higher torque G-Loc R16 or Carbotech XP20 pads. Those will put more wear on the rotors as the temperatures the discs will hit will be higher. But so far, these discs are doing farrrr better than cheapo blanks.

I will update when I put those pads. Probably April or March 2021.

·
Registered
184 Posts
WILWOOD BBK V2 KIT (RACE)

I have placed my order with Todd @ TCE. This is an improvement over the V1 kit made by @Chuckable.
Estimated fabrication time is 6 weeks.
Cost - $3050
No brake pads included.

Upgrades over V1:
Floating rotors, snap-ring system that involves no T-bolts.

Brake pad thickness increased by 3mm. Now is 20mm thick. Brake pad shape is Wilwood 6620.
The caliper size is now increased by 3mm inward and outward. It's not a major problem since the rotor hat is 2mm inward compared to the V1 kit.
Therefore if using Enkei TS-V 18x8.5 +45 wheels, there is still about 7mm of wheel spoke clearance.

Pistons upgraded to the racing Thermlock model.

Rotor hats are designed for the Veloster specifically. 2 holes for the screws and no extra wheel stud holes and appropriate hubring size in the middle.

Parts:

P/N #
Hat170-15977 (x2)
Rotor - 14x1.25160-15873 160-15874
Aero 6Caliper 20mm racing version (thermlock)120-13299 120-13300
BracketCustom Todd
Brake linesCustom Todd

Special thanks to @brzgw

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
257 Posts
Happy for @Flatout. He will have the best braking kit for the Veloster N. GenRacer with their $5200 AP racing kit doesn't count. 😂

·
Registered
184 Posts
My Wilwood parts came in. I put the rotors together, here are some pictures. Still gotta wait about 1 month for the brackets from TCE before I can install.
Wheel Automotive tire Product Tire Motor vehicle

Shipping box Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior Carton

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Automotive design

Automotive tire Window Floor Audio equipment Rim

Automotive tire Composite material Rim Engineering Auto part

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
257 Posts
No dust boots on the calipers?
Dust boots cook on track anyway. I removed them on the stock calipers. The dust boots on the red wilwoods is slowly getting destroyed. Once I go to R16s, they will definitely be messed up.

·
Registered
580 Posts
They don't make the racing calipers with dust boots. I would rather not have them anyway.
I had the standard ones and they didn't have any either. I didn't have an issue but I know some people love to ***** about their calipers seizing up due to them not having boots.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
257 Posts
I had the standard ones and they didn't have any either. I didn't have an issue but I know some people love to * about their calipers seizing up due to them not having boots.
Yeah gotta rebuild them after some time.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I got the brackets from Todd for kit V2.
Test fitting then sending them back to be anodized if its all good.
Probably not going to be able to test fit until Christmas break.

Automotive exterior Rectangle Bumper Auto part Metal

Hood Rectangle Sleeve Material property Silver

Composite material Personal protective equipment Mouse Automotive design Fashion accessory

·
Registered
21 DCT Veloster N
4 Posts
I understand TCE makes the brackets, upon going to the website I can’t find the brackets anywhere could someone help me find this, I am looking to get this done while I’m deployed later this year for my wife actually works for willwood and would like to take advantage of that while I can

·
Registered
184 Posts
I understand TCE makes the brackets, upon going to the website I can’t find the brackets anywhere could someone help me find this, I am looking to get this done while I’m deployed later this year for my wife actually works for willwood and would like to take advantage of that while I can
You have to call or email him. Nothing is on the website.

161 - 180 of 189 Posts