Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
141 - 160 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Do we see a potential benefit to either of these as compared to either the Tarox or Forge kits?
Potential benefits? As in what brake system is better? No idea, someone would have to buy them and compare.

Now the obvious benefits are that Wilwood brakes are made in the US. If you ever need replacement parts they are cheaper and easier to buy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is the highest offset dynamic hat I found that would fit. Probably what brzgw is looking at.
170-14869

With this hat you would gain 3.3mm of spoke clearance compared to Chuckable's v1 kit. There is now 5.2mm between the rotor and the dust shield.
It uses a t-bolt mounting system. Sadly there is no other snap ring hats we can use besides the one I included in my v2 kit above.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
236 Posts
Do we see a potential benefit to either of these as compared to either the Tarox or Forge kits?
Without knowing the piston sizes of tarox, hard to tell if they are any better. I would go with Wilwood over tarox. Same for forge.

Biggest benefit is easier time getting spares. Plus the aero 6 is stiffer than any of them.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Good point. I had a Vmaxx kit and getting parts from the Netherlands was extremely cost prohibitive.

Perhaps I should give Wilwood another chance, I didn't have a "bad" experience with them on my Fiesta, they just didn't seem to be made of the best quality to me. (the rotors and pads).

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Good point. I had a Vmaxx kit and getting parts from the Netherlands was extremely cost prohibitive.

Perhaps I should give Wilwood another chance, I didn't have a "bad" experience with them on my Fiesta, they just didn't seem to be made of the best quality to me. (the rotors and pads).
The pads can be purchased from multiple different manufacturers. As to the rotors, I’m not a brake engineer so don’t know how to judge them other than by appearance and longevity. They look well-made to me, but I haven’t had them nearly long enough to judge longevity.

I had a StopTech BBK on my Toyota 86 and thought the hats looked better than the Wilwood, but the rotors were the same perceived quality.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have completely removed the FSL caliper as an option. Why? It's brake pad is smaller than the OEM pads. Not right spending this much and getting smaller pads.
I am done doing research on the Wilwood catalog. I am saving my previous V2 parts config as the final build.
Personally, I would get the same Aero6 caliper with 17mm pads that @Chuckable got.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Final V2 kit with Aero6 17mm caliper

Aero6 kit V2, floating rotorP/N #
Hat170-15977
Rotor - 14x1.25160-15873
160-15874
Snapring300-14913
Aero6 Caliper 17mm
(Anodized, Stainless Steel Pistons, No Dust Seal)
120-13289
120-13290
BracketCustom Todd
Brake linesCustom Todd

Total estimation $2700

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
236 Posts
That should be a perfect setup. When are you ordering it 😝

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
@Chuckable would love to get some pictures of your new TS-V wheels on the brakes
Happy to take some, but it doesn’t look much different since they’re just 0.5” wider than the last set. It fills out the fender a bit more but otherwise looks nearly exactly like this, which I’ve posted before:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Happy to take some, but it doesn’t look much different since they’re just 0.5” wider than the last set. It fills out the fender a bit more but otherwise looks nearly exactly like this, which I’ve posted before:
View attachment 6388
Ya you are right. Ok how about this. One picture showing the wheel weights perpendicular to the caliper. And the same for the wheel spokes. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
236 Posts
Did you need a spacer to fit the wheels? Looking at doing these and selling the CTS-V brakes. (plus I want a set of ampliforms and I know they wont fit at all with the CTS brakes)
No spacers to fit any of the wheels.

First one is Drag DR-31 +48 18x8
Second one is Ampliform +35 18x8.5.

Ampliforms have lots of space. I could probably fit the 20mm version with a slightly higher offset hat.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I wonder if my brakes will fit then. I'll see this weekend, I have a friend with the ampliforms and he wants to trade for my SuperSpeed wheels.

141 - 160 of 163 Posts