Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
The changes planned to iterate over Chuckable's kit

Trying to go all out on a track performance build
1. Aero6 caliper size increased to accommodate 20mm thick pads. The 20mm thick pads will last longer and absorb more heat. Pad costs more but will have less swaps over time.
2. Calipers are unpainted. Anodized Silver. This lowers cost. Yes the powder-coated red looks great but can discolor overtime from heat if you can actually get it that hot. Anodized also runs cooler since the powder coat traps heat. We are not pro's and will probably never reach this kind of heat. But why pay more for color if it's less performance.
3. Floating rotors. That is achieved with the dynamic hats. If the offsets are figured out we can push the larger caliper inward for more spoke and wheel weight clearance.
4. Cost is going way up. $2700+ without pads.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
The changes planned to iterate over Chuckable's kit

Trying to go all out on a track performance build
1. Aero6 caliper size increased to accommodate 20mm thick pads. The 20mm thick pads will last longer and absorb more heat. Pad costs more but will have less swaps over time.
2. Calipers are unpainted. Anodized Silver. This lowers cost. Yes the powder-coated red looks great but can discolor overtime from heat if you can actually get it that hot. Anodized also runs cooler since the powder coat traps heat. We are not pro's and will probably never reach this kind of heat. But why pay more for color if it's less performance.
3. Floating rotors. That is achieved with the dynamic hats. If the offsets are figured out we can push the larger caliper inward for more spoke and wheel weight clearance.
4. Cost is going way up. $2700+ without pads.
I like where this is headed. For me, that cost was just too great to justify, but if you have the money to devote to the brakes by all means it would be great to see!

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
236 Posts
For me it's borderline. We will see. I will wait on this for a little. I just got Pagid RSL2 for HPDEs. Going to wear my existing equipment. We will see how finances go for the end of the year.

I will do some more research on this.

Also the PhD guys are going to probably have Centric build a stoptech kit. For their 6 piston race kit, it will be $3k or more based on my initial research. Obviously stoptech will have more pad options. Although similar compound gloc costs more for the ST60. Their trophy kits will cost more.

We will see..

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
For me it's borderline. We will see. I will wait on this for a little. I just got Pagid RSL2 for HPDEs. Going to wear my existing equipment. We will see how finances go for the end of the year.

I will do some more research on this.

Also the PhD guys are going to probably have Centric build a stoptech kit. For their 6 piston race kit, it will be $3k or more based on my initial research. Obviously stoptech will have more pad options. Although similar compound gloc costs more for the ST60. Their trophy kits will cost more.

We will see..
Makes sense to get your use and money out of the RSL2 pads. The StopTech kit will be a professional quality unit for sure, and the greater the pad choice the better. PhD probably has the connections to get that done. But when I called they had no real plans for a kit.

In any case, hope you get what you want out of your brake setup.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was on the Wilwood website browsing and I found some very interesting stuff. I found Dynamic Hat with snap ring that is designed for the Veloster specifically. I am assuming this is what is used on the TCA Veloster Turbo race cars. Compared to Chuckable's kit it is a floating rotor with no screws. It uses Wilwood's new snap ring mounting system so there is less noise and more room for the rotor to expand. Costs go up for Rotor swaps too. About $350 for a rotor ring.

I then found a Wilwood bracket for the Veloster. Again this lines up with the TCA specs. So its using a 13.06x1.25 rotor with a Narrow Superlite 6piston caliper. This is a good option because the Narrow Superlite was too small for a 14" rotor so if you are looking to go down to 17" wheels this can work. I would still recommend talking about this one to Todd and making sure it all works.

I took Chuckable's kit and made the upgrades in the table below. We have the new rotor and hat. The new hat pushes the rotor inward by 2mm.
Caliper is changed to FSL-ST, with thermlock pistons. I have not measured the size difference between Chuckable's Aero6 17mm and FSL calipers. FSL looks smaller so I think it should be ok. FSL caliper is larger than OEM but the pad's contact patch on rotor is smaller. FSL has a thicker pad.
FSL will make it easier to swap brakes for street and track. Aero6 is good but I am leaning towards FSL for ease of use and more readily available brake pad options. If you want Aero6 17mm or 20mm you can just swap the caliper out in the build below. Again this needs to be checked by Todd, I am just doing my own research before talking to him.

Cost for both kits is near $2700 just by going with Wilwood's listed MSRP prices.

FSL ultimate track setupP/N #
Hat170-15977
Rotor - 14x1.25160-15873
160-15874
Snapring300-14913
Caliper (Ano, Thermlock)120-13267
120-13268
BracketCustom Todd
Brake linesCustom Todd
TCA Narrow Superlite
Hat170-15977
Rotor - 13.06x1.25160-15871
160-15872
Snapring300-14913
Caliper (Ano, SS)120-11778
120-11779
Bracket250-15993
Thermlock pistons200-11342 (2x)
200-9615
Brake lines220-15994

·
Registered
123 Posts
Veloster rotor hat - 170-15977
Look at the application note on the page

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
It’s great to see that @Flatout and @brzgw are taking the kit and running with it!

A few thoughts:
1) The floating rotor is a nice upgrade with definite benefits. Whether the cost is worth the benefits is obviously an individual choice. With that’s said, I’ve not had any issues with my 2-piece non-floating rotor.
2) The 13” rotor would be a downgrade in comparison to stock specs in terms of diameter. Like @Flatout said, it would be good if you want to downsize to a 17” wheel.
3) Thr Aero6 caliper is a better and newer design and I’ve had no trouble with a good pad selection. However, it does make pad changes a more lengthy process. Instead of just pulling the bridge bolt you have to remove the caliper by removing 2 nuts. It takes about 15 minutes per side versus less than 5 minutes. For me it’s worth it because I check the boots (I got the caliper version with dust boots) and pistons. But if you could have the stiffness of the Aero6 with the convenience of a bridge bolt that would be ideal.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I sent the FSL kit I made above to Todd and it will work on our car.

Yes the Aero6 is larger and stiffer but I'm not sure if we need that. I prefer the benefits of the FSL over the benefits of the Aero6.
For people reading this, both will work. Just depends on what you want.
  1. Barrel/wheel weight clearance will be better since FSL is smaller. Estimating about 0.5mm inward.
  2. Hat pushes brakes inward 2mm
Total = 2.5mm more spoke clearance than Chuckable V1. This is an estimate. Barrel clearance I don't have a way of measuring but I think it should be safe with any 18" wheel and no wheel weight issues.

Cost is near $2800-$2900. You could go with SS pistons instead of Thermlock and save around $240 or more to lower the cost.
This is the kit I would prefer to get for myself.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
The mount height of the FSL is nearly 12mm less than the Aero6 (Wilwood schematics don’t provide total height, just mount height) so as @Flatout said, the FSL is likely to be much more wheel friendly in terms of barrel clearance.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
On a related note, I just test fit an Enkei TSV in 18x8.5+45 and both barrel and spoke clearance are more than adequate. The wheel weights look like they’re almost all outboard of the caliper so no barrel clearance issues, and the spoke clearance is about 7-8mm. With this wheel you might even have room for the Aero6 ST/Thermolock caliper, but it would require a test-fit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
@Jswick you could probably do the FSL kit above with these alterations to lower the cost since you don't track.
  • use SS pistons
  • use rotor and hat from Chuckable's build
  • a new bracket is needed from Todd
  • no wheel fitment issues
Estimating around $2200

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
236 Posts
On a related note, I just test fit an Enkei TSV in 18x8.5+45 and both barrel and spoke clearance are more than adequate. The wheel weights look like they’re almost all outboard of the caliper so no barrel clearance issues, and the spoke clearance is about 7-8mm. With this wheel you might even have room for the Aero6 ST/Thermolock caliper, but it would require a test-fit.
Were you able to take any photos? That's 7-8mm from narrowest?

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
236 Posts
@Chuckable you would need to do like a whole season's worth of events to be able to reap the benefits of floating rotors. They will last longer than fixed. You won't have problems yet. It depends on how much heat shock rotors get. As you do more events, you will start heat checking the rotors. If the rotor surface has no micro cracks, you will be fine.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Were you able to take any photos? That's 7-8mm from narrowest?
I didn’t but if you’re interested I will in the next few days and will try to do a more accurate measurement if it’s something you might want to really pursue. I don’t want you to buy an expensive setup based on my eyeball measurements and have it not clear.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I didn’t but if you’re interested I will in the next few days and will try to do a more accurate measurement if it’s something you might want to really pursue. I don’t want you to buy an expensive setup based on my eyeball measurements and have it not clear.
thank you!!!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
@Chuckable you would need to do like a whole season's worth of events to be able to reap the benefits of floating rotors. They will last longer than fixed. You won't have problems yet. It depends on how much heat shock rotors get. As you do more events, you will start heat checking the rotors. If the rotor surface has no micro cracks, you will be fine.
I doubt I’ll ever do a full season of track days. Rather, I’d be happy with doing 1-2 events per quarter, and even that’s more than I really have the time and money for right now.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Summary of the discussion from the past week:

Chuckable kit v1:
Hat170-14683
Rotor - 14x1.25 (fixed rotor)160-8398
160-8399
Caliper (Red or Black, Stainless Steel Pistons, Dust Seal) - Aero6 caliper with 17mm pads120-14442-RD
120-14443-RD
BracketCustom Todd
Brake linesCustom Todd

If you want a fixed rotor for lower costs you can take the above kit. And choose any caliper from the Aero6 17mm or FSL lineup. Make sure the piston area is 4.04. Todd will have to make a new bracket design if you pick something else besides the Aero6 caliper with 17mm pads. Around $2200. There is 8.5mm of space between the rotor and dust shield.

brzgw Flatout kit v2:
Hat170-15977
Rotor - 14x1.25 (floating rotor)160-15873
160-15874
Snap-ring300-14913
Caliper (Anodized, Stainless Steel Pistons, no Dust Seal) - Aero6 caliper with 17mm pads120-13289
120-13290
BracketCustom Todd
Brake linesCustom Todd

Floating rotor with no t-bolts. Uses the new snap-ring system. Hat moves the kit 2mm inward for more spoke clearance compared to v1. Cost is near $2700 or more depending on caliper choices.
There is 6.5mm of space between the rotor and dust shield. Its about a $120 upgrade per caliper if you want Thermlock pistons.

Essentially both these kits are the same. Difference is that one is a fixed rotor and the other floating.
You can take either version and pick a different caliper.

Todd always repeats that he recommends Aero6 for a 14" rotor. FSL will work and it's up to you if you want that. Aero6's larger pad helps it be less harsh on the rotor.
brzgw badly wants the Aero6 caliper with 20mm pads. Its a wider caliper therefore spoke clearance will be worse. He is trying to figure it out. Possibly a different hat to push the brakes more inward.
This different hat will be using t-bolts instead of snap-ring if he can make it work.

121 - 140 of 163 Posts