Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I had a 2020 Veloster Turbo for a year but it wasn't fast enough for me. Recently upgraded to the 2021 N DCT. My only complaint is the tires and rims. I live in an area were the roads are more pothole than road. Has anyone put 18 inch rims on their N? I just want to make sure they will fit since the brakes are pretty big.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I only have 200 miles on the car so I haven't really got on it yet. Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey everyone!

I had a 2020 Veloster Turbo for a year but it wasn't fast enough for me. Recently upgraded to the 2021 N DCT. My only complaint is the tires and rims. I live in an area were the roads are more pothole than road. Has anyone put 18 inch rims on their N? I just want to make sure they will fit since the brakes are pretty big.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I only have 200 miles on the car so I haven't really got on it yet. Looking forward to it!
Currently running 18s on my '21. You should have no issues!

·
Registered
230 Posts
There is even one forum member who has 17s on his, though he had to get creative with placement of the balancing weights.
I tried putting my 17" Enkei RPF1s on the N at the dealer today. No bueno.

18" R-spec wheels did fit. Dealer wants the 17" Enkeis over the 18" OEM rims for the trade. So I think I'll do it even though I spent a chunk on the RPF1s.

Look good too.

·
Registered
230 Posts
We'll see what happens when my 17" Weds arrive :p
Well my 17" RPF1s did not work. However, that may have been as much to do with the offset as the inner diameter of the wheel. The front caliper was rubbing on the spokes of the wheel before I could get it seated. The gap on the sides looked like 1mm or so.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well my 17" RPF1s did not work. However, that may have been as much to do with the offset as the inner diameter of the wheel. The front caliper was rubbing on the spokes of the wheel before I could get it seated. The gap on the sides looked like 1mm or so.
I took a bazillion (scientific, I know) measurements. I'm pretty sure I'm right on the money, but I picked up Weds TC105x 17x8.5 et43 and should >just< clear the caliper with enough room for flex.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
With the VN there were many detail production changes worked out during Nurburgring testing sessions for the VN. One in particularly; was a unique knuckle that along with the tire’s tread width and the wheel’s offset, to produced a zero scrub radius.

Changing these dimension can lead to and elimination of the zero scrub radius. As long as the zero scrub radius of the car isn't changed, it will remain neutral and won't provide excessive torque steer. This zero scrub radius is what give the VN a more darty feeling during corning.

Anyway, reasons for doing this ^ has to do with steering precision, quick response and direct on-center feel for the VN.

If the inside radius of the wheels are within 2 mm of the brake caliper there can be contact issues, especially under torque and corning loading. Such close clearances don't allow for any debris to pass thru cleanly, which can cause wheel locking or deflection. If one of the inside front wheels comes into contact with the caliper during corner loading, it will cause a momentary lock up, damaging the both wheel and brake caliper, sending the driver into panic steering to regain control f the car.

IMPO, 17's are far too close to allow for wheel flex and adequate caliper to inside wheel radius clearance. I don't personally don't recommend such use. This is one of the reasons why the automotive industry has adopted (caliper to inside wheel radius minimum); of 3mm - 4mm. There are also some minor annoyances to overcome as well. Speedometer and odometer accuracy will be compromised. As wheel and tire radius are smaller, there will be additional wear and tear on wheel bearings. There will also be excessive sidewall roll in corners, which translates to a reduction in tire contact patch with the road.

Wedsports are excellent wheels but I don't believe they possess the radial stiffness to preclude the reduction in wheel flex, required to maintain the proper inside wheel to caliper clearance under excessive corner loading.

·
Registered
113 Posts
What rims did you go with? Also, did you just have the dealer move the sensors to the new tires and rims?
Honestly I bought a set from a user on this forum - 18" Blizzaks with 'Sport Edition' wheels (I don't know the exact brand, that's all they say - they were originally purchased as a combination set from TireRack according to the seller). They told me up front they didn't have TPMS. I purchased OEM ones from TPMS.com and had them put in at a shop when I got the wheels/tires mounted because I didn't want to have to swap them every time I changed between my winter/summer sets. They synced up and were recognized by the car without issue after about ~5-10 miles.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I answered in the other thread too but those wheels will stick out an additional 1.68 inches over the stock wheels.

Centerline gets pushed out the difference in offset. ET55 vs ET25 which is 30mm. Plus the wheel is 1 inch wider, so half of that.

I don't think I would try.

Why don't you buy the wheels you want and have them powder coated? I'm going to take my stock 19" and my car to my wheel shop here in a couple weeks. $500 for the set.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts