Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very first oil change I did at 1500 miles it felt like the crush washer was welded onto the plug. So I went ahead and left it. Just did another change at 6000 and got after it with a flathead screwdriver and eventually felt like I was messing up some of the threads. Had to drive to a dealership and buy a new one. This N has been the only vehicle I've ever driven that uses washers instead of a plug with a built in gasket. Why did Hyundai choose to go this route? And does anyone make a reusable drain plug?

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
557 Posts
That looks like it was tightened too much at the factory. All my cars, including our Honda, use aluminum crush washers. I have never had a major problem....nothing like your picture. I usually turn them over so that I can use them twice and then I replace them. I don't think it is Hyundai, but that aluminum washer is really crushed. Thanks for the posting.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks like it was tightened too much at the factory. All my cars, including our Honda, use aluminum crush washers. I have never had a major problem....nothing like your picture. I usually turn them over so that I can use them twice and then I replace them. I don't think it is Hyundai, but that aluminum washer is really crushed. Thanks for the posting.
It looks like Hyundai had painted over it too. I tried to be careful but the thing just wouldn't budge any further. Thankfully I've got a dealer 20 minutes away that had one in stock. This is the reason I like to do my own stuff.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had the same exact problem. It was so flat I wasn't even sure I was looking at a crush washer. Plus it was painted black. But I kept trying and eventually got it off. I think I used a knife to wedge in between and it finally separated. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Metal putty knife or woodworking chisel works wonders for removing the crushed washer. Use a smaller SAE socket you have to force on. It will close any gaps on the bolt head flats. I install a Fumoto Valve in place of the bolt. Never have to do this again.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Metal putty knife works wonders for removing the crushed washer. Use a smaller SAE socket you have to force on. It will close any gaps on the bolt head flats. I install a Fumoto Valve in place of the bolt. Never have to do this again.
Just looked these valves up, had no idea they existed! Do you mind posting the link to the exact item you purchased?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
No problem here it is take your pick of valve and accessory;
I've utilized them on several of my previous cars and they work great.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks RedVN. I'm definitely going to get one of those before I do my next oil change. I also bought one of those Oil Udder things that magnetizes to the filter so you can drain all of the oil through a hose. Apparently I didn't loosen it enough because when I went to take the filter all the way off I got covered in oil. Oh well, live and learn. From what I saw it looks like it'll work perfectly once I figure out how much to loosen the filter.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The site claims an adapter may be needed in case the plug location is recessed. From what I remember, the plug is flush with the oil pan. Did you order the adapter as well or is it not needed for this application?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts

Either works well. Have one on the 2020 Soul GT-Line.

·
Registered
762 Posts

Either works well. Have one on the 2020 Soul GT-Line.
Thanks. I’ve used Fumoto before, but just wasn’t sure which would work best on the VN.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts