Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N PP
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the Whiteline 24mm rear sway bar and noticed some creaking today. So the install instructions says no grease, but you go to their website and it says use grease. What gives? Any input and suggestions welcomed. I haven't checked it yet, so I might be out in the garage - seems like where I spend most of my time these days. :)

Reactions: Ghost

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
Did you use the supplied lateral locks? The bushings are self lubricating. It almost looks like they are fur lined. If it is creaking that is usually coming from the sway bar links. I would re-torque them and use some blue lock-tite on the threads. That's what I did since I reused the stock links and all was good. Hope this helps?

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: Chuckable

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yup, like Ghost said, check all of the fasteners. I have the Whiteline rear bar and endlinks and noticed after a track day that one of the nuts on the left endlink had worked loose by about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. I paint mark everything after tightening so it’s easy to check for things like that.

·
Registered
2020 VN PP Chalk White
149 Posts
Also make sure the bar is centered. If you used the lateral locks and the suggested couple mm of clearance and the bar isn't fully centered on install you could have a lateral lock making contact with a mounting bracket. I'd recheck clearance and torque on all the fasteners. You shouldn't need grease with the supplied bushings. 👍

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also make sure the bar is centered. If you used the lateral locks and the suggested couple mm of clearance and the bar isn't fully centered on install you could have a lateral lock making contact with a mounting bracket. I'd recheck clearance and torque on all the fasteners. You shouldn't need grease with the supplied bushings. 👍
I didn't position the lateral locks until I was sure the sway bar had found it's center by driving it a few miles over various road conditions and performance demands. I positioned the lateral locks after that. I also checked the end links which were good. Still creaking. I then greased the the bushings on the bar side (not the clamp side) as per the Whiteline website which directly conflicted with the instruction sheet I received in the shipment with the sway bar. Everything is good now and quiet. What is really frustrating is the contradiction/conflicting information found on the website vs. the instructions I received in the shipment. For the 24mm bar under the "Installation" tab it shows the "no grease" document. Then click over one tab to "Lubrication Guide" it gives the specs on what grease should be used. WTF. I'm so frustrated with the conflicting information that I've experienced with some of these aftermarket retailers. Anyway, I greased it and it is good. Bill

·
Registered
746 Posts
I didn't position the lateral locks until I was sure the sway bar had found it's center by driving it a few miles over various road conditions and performance demands. I positioned the lateral locks after that. I also checked the end links which were good. Still creaking. I then greased the the bushings on the bar side (not the clamp side) as per the Whiteline website which directly conflicted with the instruction sheet I received in the shipment with the sway bar. Everything is good now and quiet. What is really frustrating is the contradiction/conflicting information found on the website vs. the instructions I received in the shipment. For the 24mm bar under the "Installation" tab it shows the "no grease" document. Then click over one tab to "Lubrication Guide" it gives the specs on what grease should be used. WTF. I'm so frustrated with the conflicting information that I've experienced with some of these aftermarket retailers. Anyway, I greased it and it is good. Bill
I’m just guessing here, but I think that Whiteline somewhat recently changed to greaseless bushings and that hasn’t quite made it across all of their website content. In any case, glad to hear it’s fixed!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the same issue. I contacted their support group and they said that it was a marketing mistake. The bushings don’t require grease - unless you don’t want them to squeak. (Don’t shoot the messenger - it sounds ridiculous when I say it too. )
They said to pull the bushings and grease the sway bar side with silicone grease with PTFE - just like with any sway bar bushings.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the same issue. I contacted their support group and they said that it was a marketing mistake. The bushings don’t require grease - unless you don’t want them to squeak. (Don’t shoot the messenger - it sounds ridiculous when I say it too. )
They said to pull the bushings and grease the sway bar side with silicone grease with PTFE - just like with any sway bar bushings.
Ha...doesn't require grease...unless you don't want them to squeak. Priceless! :LOL:

Reactions: RedVN

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been trying to solve this for about a month now.
I've switched from the stock end links, to the whiteline endlinks on my 24mm sway bar.

Then I noticed the silver brackets (holding the sway bar) was walking up and down/sliding back and forth on the screws.

I bought the black universal sway bar brackets along with some toothed washers to put in to keep the brackets from sliding front/back.

Then today I learned that the sound is coming from the end links themself; the nut was not tightened. I straightened thr link out with a wrench (14-18mm should hold it) , and used a 17mm to tighten the nut itself.

This solved the problem for a a while as the sound was gone, but after some driving, some noise is coming back. A buddy of mine says that others are having issues with the nut coming loose even after tightening. Some say to use the stock end links.

I'll definitely try the lok-tite and maybe even a lock-nut? Any other ideas? Any success with lok-tite by itself?

·
Registered
12 Posts
My bar makes noise about every 3-4 months I spray the bushings with some liquid wrench and forget about it until it comes back... The felt non lube lining they have on there doesn't work. I've put the car in the air at work multiple times to check everything out and it's all ok.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If your noise settles out 👍. If not the universal stuff might have an effect on your suspension geometry causing creaking. Otherwise-after I tightened everything down I haven’t heard creaking since

1 - 16 of 16 Posts