Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

Which is more important, air flow or intake air temperature?

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Does anyone know which metric (air flow or intake air temperature) is more valuable in regards to creating power with an aftermarket intake? For this example, let's look at the OEM intake vs the Forge intake. The OEM intake is about 3" in diameter before tapering down to the turbo tube. The Forge is 4" in diameter and, when combined with the turbo tube, tapers down far less than the OEM intake. One must assume that the CFM is greater in the Forge unit. In regards to air temperature, the OEM intake is closed and the Forge is open. One must assume that the IAT of the Forge filter is either greater than or equal to the IAT of the OEM intake. Which metric makes a bigger difference on engine power and why?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I dont know any compassion IATs but i have a forge and recently got a JB4. I also have an intercooler and downpipe and all that taken into consideration, my IATs are about 130°F usually.
I have this feeling that the takeda momentum is the best intake available rn so im currently trying to get my hands on one and will compare IATs to see if it makes a difference at all.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At this point, the largest intake tube seems to be the Forge unit, especially when paired with the turbo tube. Do you have any idea what diameter piping is used on the Takeda? I could not find any specs on that unit or any others for that matter. Forge seemed to be the only company that revealed how large the intake tube was. If the Takeda intake tube is the same size as the OEM unit, then I do not see how it could be any better than the OEM unit because they are so similar in size and both utilize a closed box.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The size of the tube doesnt really dictate how good or bad an intake is though. I believe the takeda is about 3.5 inches im not exactly sure. The forge is for sure the biggest right now but it doesnt really matter all that much because its bottle necked by the 2 inch turbo tube. The forge turbo tube is 3 inches so regardless of how big your intake tube is, it all ends up 3 inchs best case scenario before the turbo. The takeda (and pretty much every other intake) has better airflow because of a high flow filter element.
Regardless of what intake you pick it will give you gains, but none to write home about. They all claim more or less 12hp. It basically depends on which one you think looks cooler and sounds better

·
Super Moderator
708 Posts
The Tekada starts at a 4" diameter at the filter and then tapers down to 3". A closed box is better for temps. This is the best compromise for both temp. and flow, especially with the Forge turbo inlet. I have that exact set-up. In the city traffic my IAT's never get over 110 degrees (f). On the highway the IAT's are about 5 to 10 degrees above ambient temps. I do have a Wagner inter-cooler on it too though. I think you'll love the Tekada Momentum intake. Hope this helped you?

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, assuming that all intakes are bottle-necked by the diameter of the turbo inlet, would there be an advantage to having larger diameter tubing leading up to the inlet? For instance, wouldn’t an intake that tapers from 4” to 2” create more pressure at the turbo inlet than an intake that tapers from 3” to 2”?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Its a bit of a trade off. The 4-2 might create more pressure but its a mess to drive. The car hated itself at low speeds and especially when it was cold. Might have lost a hair in my 0-60 with the 3" inlet but it made the driving experience alot better and smoother. It depends if youre looking for power at any expense or the best possible driving experience. Or something in-between. Theres many options for many different driving styles after all

Nothing we say has been proven either were just assuming alot because the odds of someone being able to compare all of these things under the proper circumstances is pretty much non existent.
That's why picking something as simple as an induction kit is annoying. No matter which one you get you'll be happy but none are going to blow you away or anything

·
Super Moderator
708 Posts
*****cough+++++ Tekada Momentum ++++cough++++++

Then get a Velossa Tech intake snorkel and the smile will NOT leave your face..... :)

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
708 Posts
Both intake temps and air flow are equally as important so it's hard for me to vote on it.

The Velossa Tech intake snorkel creates less waste gate duty cycles so this means that the turbo is running much more efficient. That coupled with the Tekada Momentum intake and in my opinion you have the best intake on the market thus far. And for even better performance get the Yames turbo inlet or the Forge one. I have the forge one attached to the Tekada Momentum and that is attached to a Velossa Tech intake snorkel. Best set-up I have tried so far and plan on keeping it. Hope this helps?

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
36 Posts
Both intake temps and air flow are equally as important so it's hard for me to vote on it.

The Velossa Tech intake snorkel creates less waste gate duty cycles so this means that the turbo is running much more efficient. That coupled with the Tekada Momentum intake and in my opinion you have the best intake on the market thus far. And for even better performance get the Yames turbo inlet or the Forge one. I have the forge one attached to the Tekada Momentum and that is attached to a Velossa Tech intake snorkel. Best set-up I have tried so far and plan on keeping it. Hope this helps?

Best regards,

-Mike
Thanks for the shout out Mike, appreciate it. Mike & Mike305 said it best, it is an upgrade that will keep you smiling and appreciate the car even more. I would group intakes in the category of rims, they all have similar characteristics, but in the end, pick the one that suits your taste. As for the turbo inlet section, I be more than happy to help you out if you end up with the Tekada (or AEM, Injen, Tork Motorsports, etc). Cheers.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
708 Posts
No, I do not have independent numbers. I was just going by what the owner told me. From using it for over a year it does work. It's up to the individual if they want to buy one or not. Most reviews are from personal experiences as mine is. If you believe me, great, if not, no skin off my back.

Best regards,

-Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts