Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't decide on a wheel? Never really messed with scrub radius and trying not to mess up suspension? Crowdsource people that are smarter than you!

My stock tires are showing some wear and I need to get some new rubber... Why not add some wheels.

I have chatted @ProjectVeloN ( 馃挐 ) to get me heading in the right direction a while ago. After a few months of trolling around and seeing what I like, I have narrowed my search. What I would like to ask of the group is 2 fold...
1) Which setup will go WEEEEEE around corners better?
2) What is the consensus of the best looking option.

Tires are going to be Michelin pilot sport 4s. (40 series) Its a daily that gets daily highway and weekend backroad twisties.

Any other suggestions on wheel or tire is more than welcome!

(The matte grey and green is my car. The other photos are what I am considering.)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Mechanica
18x9
offset +30
weight is 21lbs

Clypse
18x8.5
offset +40
weight is 22lbs
TS-10
18x8.5
offset +50
weight 20.1lbs
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Automotive design
Kojin
18x8.5
Offset +50
Weight 20.6lbs

Registered
The TS10 or Kojin will keep scrub radius near stock. IMHO, a +30 or +40 is a bit too much for this platform unless your main concern is aesthetics.

Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
Can't decide on a wheel? Never really messed with scrub radius and trying not to mess up suspension? Crowdsource people that are smarter than you!

My stock tires are showing some wear and I need to get some new rubber... Why not add some wheels.

I have chatted @ProjectVeloN ( 馃挐 ) to get me heading in the right direction a while ago. After a few months of trolling around and seeing what I like, I have narrowed my search. What I would like to ask of the group is 2 fold...
1) Which setup will go WEEEEEE around corners better?
2) What is the consensus of the best looking option.

Tires are going to be Michelin pilot sport 4s. (40 series) Its a daily that gets daily highway and weekend backroad twisties.

Any other suggestions on wheel or tire is more than welcome!

(The matte grey and green is my car. The other photos are what I am considering.)
View attachment 6401

View attachment 6402
Mechanica
18x9
offset +30
weight is 21lbs

View attachment 6403
Clypse
18x8.5
offset +40
weight is 22lbs
View attachment 6408
TS-10
18x8.5
offset +50
weight 20.1lbs
View attachment 6409
Kojin
18x8.5
Offset +50
Weight 20.6lbs
I agree with @Chuckable . If you want looks and performance then make sure the wheel is 8.5 and above a +45. I wouldnt go with anything in an 8 in width below +45. In an 8.5 width you can go +40 but ideally +50/+45 is ideal.

And I think the TS10 would look the best and drive the best.

-JE

Registered
Personally, I would down size the diameter of the wheel and tire combination but that鈥檚 me. I believe your best handling performance will come from the 19鈥檚 with the ELSD and OEM suspension.

Does that mean it can鈥檛 do better with upgrades, no. Just that if your not planning to do more than daily and track occasional, it will provide the best performance in standard trim.

Once you start down the road of modifying the suspension you need to look into all of it. It鈥檚 a fairly well balanced and behaved car, without messing with it too much.

Registered
Personally, I would down size the diameter of the wheel and tire combination but that鈥檚 me. I believe your best handling performance will come from the 19鈥檚 with the ELSD and OEM suspension.

Does that mean it can鈥檛 do better with upgrades, no. Just that if your not planning to do more than daily and track occasional, it will provide the best performance in standard trim.

Once you start down the road of modifying the suspension you need to look into all of it. It鈥檚 a fairly well balanced and behaved car, without messing with it too much.
You nailed it here @RedVN. Totally agree. When I went from 18's back to 19's the car definitely came alive more. I also went with a more appropriate offset.

The comfort from downsizing 19's to 18's isnt that much in my opinion.

-JE

Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
Just bought wheels myself since I know the stock wheels won't fit with the BBK I just purchased. Went ahead and ordered O.Z. HyperGT HLT in 19 x 8.5 +45. Calculated out the brake fitment and it should be good. 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Comfort isnt at the forefront by any means. So, the team says 19x8.5 +45

How much of a difference do you gents think 19x8.5 +40 would make? That TSW Clypse is really growing on me.

Registered
I had +38 and I noticed it. It got a lot better after an alignment however. But honestly man some people arent sensitive to stuff like that and will never notice it.

In this order of importance:

19x8+55
19x8.5+50 / 19x8 +50
19x8.5 +45
19x8.5 +43
19x8.5 +40
19x8 +40

+40 isnt a long way off from +45 but it is a long way off from OE. You would never notice it if you drive +40/+45 back to back but you would notice it if you drove OE and then +50 and then OE +40.

I dont think you can go wrong w/ the clypse either but if you lower it you will need around -2 to camber for clearance.

The TS 10 will never give you an issue with lowering and I think will be on point and you will notice a considerable improvement w/ tire selection and weight reduction.

With all that being said get the one you want. I have friend with +35 and 2 of them say they never noticed a difference in steering!!!! I cant understand that. But - their wheels look damn good.

-JE

Registered
2019 smol PP
Personal preference but TS10s are played out a bit on this platform (no offense to anyone who has them). In that regard I think the Kojins are a more unique look.

Also, turn-in was noticeably less sharp when I went to 18x8.5 +47 but after a while I got used to it. Unless you're tracking, as long as you stay above +45 you'll be fine.

Registered
You nailed it here @RedVN. Totally agree. When I went from 18's back to 19's the car definitely came alive more. I also went with a more appropriate offset.

The comfort from downsizing 19's to 18's isnt that much in my opinion.

-JE
The only issue with running 19s vs. 18s IMO is tire cost and availability (especially with the whole tire scarcity dilemma). However, it's only an issue if you plan on tracking the car a bunch.

Registered
The only issue with running 19s vs. 18s IMO is tire cost and availability (especially with the whole tire scarcity dilemma). However, it's only an issue if you plan on tracking the car a bunch.
Well said. I鈥檓 a Yokohama man and they have their track and summer tires available in 19鈥檚. I havent shopped all other brands but pretty sure when I did look they had Michelin. It seems to be the lower end tries that aren鈥檛 made in that size.

You do make great points however!

-JE

Registered
Just throwing my opinion in. I just went through looking for wheels and I decided on Enkei TS-10's 18x8 +50. They look amazing! and saved 40 lbs of unsprung weight. the fitment is great although if I did it again I would have gone 8.5 as the 8 is basically the same as OE fitment, but 8.5's were on backorder so I went with 8's. As far as a comfort gain I would say there is little to no difference with large bumps and stuff but a quite noticeable difference with sharp bumps like potholes and certain speed bumps that are bolted to the road.

Registered
I'm running 18x8.5 Kojin's w/248/40R18's, One thing I really like regarding the Kojin is that with the 5 spoke design its much easier to clean the wheel barrel and brake calipers.

Super Moderator
I have the TS-10's and couldn't be happier. Acceleration is much better and the handling is about the same as the 19" OE rims. I can still take on and off ramps at 80 and still be fine. lol....

Best regards,

-Mike

Registered
What鈥檚 your tire sizing on an 8.5 wheel I鈥檓 thinking of going wider and for 8.5 you suggest a +45 or higher?

How are you guys not rubbing

Registered
You can go 235 or 245 on an 8.5鈥 wide wheel.
In general, the closer to +55 you can get the better.
People with wide wheels and lower offsets often run at least -2掳 camber.

Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
I would also throw in that 18's should be more resilient if you drive on third-world roads like I do in Pennsylvania. I have my 19's on now and will switch this Fall to my 18's with the PS AS. I found while I was breaking in the Michelin's they were a bit quieter and there was less harshness. I wanted a combination that I could use year around. Now I can swap wheels back and forth. I do not track and spend most of my time on back roads commuting. I am pretty happy with the Rials and Michelins.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts