Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
They were about to have fun trying to get 19" tires to seat on 18" wheels :devil:

I was told they only stopped because they didn't look the same and wanted me to have the original look............

·
Registered
874 Posts
Lmao!!:grin: Ah gee, I wonder how they could tell the difference!:devil: Just goes to show you how little knowledge dealerships have of the VN base or PP. :smile:

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I just purchased my VN PP today, and checked for this at the dealer. I honestly didnt notice anything until I got home and checked further. I have small rain droplet, and even smaller, marks randomly around the wheels. No use cleaning them off, and cant feel anything when running my finger over them. Is this how your guys wheels started to delaminate?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I figured I could add to this as well, since I've been having the same issue.
At first it was just one wheel with a section seemingly delaminating in about a nickle sized area. I took it to the dealer, they submitted a claim, and a few weeks later I had a new wheel installed.
Currently, after having parked the car for winter, I notice the other three wheels are having similar issues, I recently had the oil changed at the same dealer, and they've taken photos and submitted another claim for the other three wheels. The dealer didn't give me any issues getting the other one replaced, so I'm hoping there aren't any with these other three, and they did seem pretty receptive to the problem. Good to know others are having similar issues though.

Update: All four have been replaced under warranty, no compensation for the ceramic coating I had put on them though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I just purchased my VN PP today, and checked for this at the dealer. I honestly didnt notice anything until I got home and checked further. I have small rain droplet, and even smaller, marks randomly around the wheels. No use cleaning them off, and cant feel anything when running my finger over them. Is this how your guys wheels started to delaminate?
Hello Skilletor. I just noticed your post. I have a Veloster RSpec and wanted to share my experience with a similar problem on my painted wheels. Here is a picture of what I saw a few days after taking delivery of my 2019 Veloster. Does this look similar to what you are seeing on your wheels? If yes, you have a clearcoat problem. It will start peeling off after a while. Take pictures and take it to your dealer ASAP.

Note that the splotches will change in appearance and may fade back to to the normal black color after the wheel gets wet again or exposed to a temperature change. I believe this is happening because the clear coat is hydrolyzing (I.e., reacting with moisture and initiating a breakdown of the chemical bond with the wheel paint/powder coating below)......my semi-educated theory. This is obviously not suppose to happen and indicates a flaw in the composition/quality of the clearcoat.

I had a total of 5 wheels develop the clearcoat problem over a period of 14 months since I bought the car new the end of 2018. Hyundai reluctantly replaced all my original wheels when they developed the issue over the period. One of the replacement wheels also developed the problem and Hyundai offered to replace it for a last and final time with no further warranty thereafter. I did not want another replacement without some assurance that Hyundai found a root cause to what appears to me to be a widespread recurring quality problem and ad resolved the issue on the replacement wheel. They never provided that assurance. I elevated the issue to Hyundai Consumer Affairs (who were fantastic to work with and very helpful) and ended up taking a cash settlement which would cover the cost of 4 aftermarket replacement wheels. Be wary of the information you get from your dealer and Hyundai Regional Management. Don’t hesitate to contact Hyundai Consumer Affairs if you are not satisfied with how the dealer is handling your issue.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best of luck dealing with your issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello Skilletor. I just noticed your post. I have a Veloster RSpec and wanted to share my experience with a similar problem on my painted wheels. Here is a picture of what I saw a few days after taking delivery of my 2019 Veloster. Does this look similar to what you are seeing on your wheels? If yes, you have a clearcoat problem. It will start peeling off after a while. Take pictures and take it to your dealer ASAP.

Note that the splotches will change in appearance and may fade back to to the normal black color after the wheel gets wet again or exposed to a temperature change. I believe this is happening because the clear coat is hydrolyzing (I.e., reacting with moisture and initiating a breakdown of the chemical bond with the wheel paint/powder coating below)......my semi-educated theory. This is obviously not suppose to happen and indicates a flaw in the composition/quality of the clearcoat.

I had a total of 5 wheels develop the clearcoat problem over a period of 14 months since I bought the car new the end of 2018. Hyundai reluctantly replaced all my original wheels when they developed the issue over the period. One of the replacement wheels also developed the problem and Hyundai offered to replace it for a last and final time with no further warranty thereafter. I did not want another replacement without some assurance that Hyundai found a root cause to what appears to me to be a widespread recurring quality problem and ad resolved the issue on the replacement wheel. They never provided that assurance. I elevated the issue to Hyundai Consumer Affairs (who were fantastic to work with and very helpful) and ended up taking a cash settlement which would cover the cost of 4 aftermarket replacement wheels. Be wary of the information you get from your dealer and Hyundai Regional Management. Don’t hesitate to contact Hyundai Consumer Affairs if you are not satisfied with how the dealer is handling your issue.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best of luck dealing with your issue.

View attachment 2733
Thanks for the information. The spots on my wheels are actually completely different. They are literally rain drop sized, and you can barely see them without getting real up close. Only like 10 to 15 spots on each wheel. I took the car into a local dealer a couple days after buying it, just to get the issue on record. They had three people look it over, and they are pretty sure its hard water spotting. Unfortunatly, there detailing depart wasnt in because of the virus, so they couldn't try to polish them up. I can probaly take it back in the future. This would make sense since the car I purchased was literally sitting at the dealership for over 260 days. The wheels could have easily gotten wet, never dried off, and it just baked on in the sun. I will be keeping an eye on them though to see if they change shape or anything. I might get a polisher out and see if that helps or something. I think come next summer I am going to get new rims anyway, and just keep the stocks as my winter setup w/ all season tires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since it's been so warm over the Holidaze here in west TN, I hand washed the N so I could finally install the OEM rear bumper applique (P/N J3F28-AU001) I purchased back in November.

I always start with the wheels/calipers thanks to the OEM brake material coating everything liberally between washes. Sadly, here is what I found on the right front and rear left wheels. I'm shocked as we haven't had any snow/icy road conditions for TDOT to have applied anything on the roads this winter so far. Our 2019 N was purchased the first week of August in Marion, IL with 22 miles on it (now has 7,733) and its wheels are the first I've ever waxed in my life for any car I've owned.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and, if so, how was it rectified (i.e., replacement or refinish)? I've submitted this to Hyundai off of the "Contact Us" link and I've got our the direct contact info for our area's assigned District Parts and Service Manager.

Thanks!
Since it's been so warm over the Holidaze here in west TN, I hand washed the N so I could finally install the OEM rear bumper applique (P/N J3F28-AU001) I purchased back in November.

I always start with the wheels/calipers thanks to the OEM brake material coating everything liberally between washes. Sadly, here is what I found on the right front and rear left wheels. I'm shocked as we haven't had any snow/icy road conditions for TDOT to have applied anything on the roads this winter so far. Our 2019 N was purchased the first week of August in Marion, IL with 22 miles on it (now has 7,733) and its wheels are the first I've ever waxed in my life for any car I've owned.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and, if so, how was it rectified (i.e., replacement or refinish)? I've submitted this to Hyundai off of the "Contact Us" link and I've got our the direct contact info for our area's assigned District Parts and Service Manager.

Thanks!
I have the same issue just realized today. I live in sunny FL and have done nothing special for this to happen.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
28 Posts
My preferred dealer is 50 minutes West on the east side of Memphis. Just didn't feel like wasting the drive since they can't fix it while I wait. Sadly before swapping wheels/tires out, I have defective wheel #3 with four spots delaminating (none in the same triangle either) so I'll have to let the dealer know Monday but won't be able to bring them all the wheels until Friday. I'm using 3mm spacers (a first for me) behind each Kia wheel to have clearance between the caliper and backside of the wheel. I also really like these rim protectors over the CACAO or RimRingz I've used in the past.
I am glad to hear that you are happy with the Rimringz, I just ordered the same product in Red to match the red accents.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
FYI Update: I picked up my three new replacement wheels on 21 January 2020 with my original TPMS sensors and Pirellis mounted on them. Once home, I washed/waxed and stacked in my garage. I put the back on the car on 11 July 2020 @ 17,586 miles. On 23 August 2020 @ 19,335 miles one of the three replacements (not my sole remaining original wheel) had finish failure.

I've since had this defective wheel replaced but I will never mount these back on the car as they're ticking time bombs as far as I'm concerned. So now I'm curious to know what offset 19" × 8.5" aftermarket wheels and commensurate tire size will work without rubbing with the stock suspension.

At some point, I'm going to sell the original 19" PP wheels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not going to keep going back and forth with you on something you're set in your mind about. Right now, you're crying wolf without any concrete evidence.

You're commenting about other Hyundai models with painted wheels and you have no first hand experience with them. Your speculation is comical, as I've stated prior. You're touting a hand full of issues on other forums and drinking the Kool Aid you're feeding yourself. Forums are not a primary examples for the masses or to be taken as fact. There simply aren't.

In essence, you're attempting to justify your own speculation. I'm not in agreement with what you believe or are attempting to bolster here. You do not own a Veloster N and hence do not have the same wheels the VN is equipped with. I suggest you take it to a veloster forum and see what responses you get there. There has been two members with an issue reported here out of several thousands of forum members. Per capita, less than 1%.

I own a 2019 Veloster N PP with black painted wheels and there is NO delamination issue I also own a 2019 Hyundai Accent Limited with painted wheels. I've owned a 2017 Genesis G80 Ultimate 5.0 and a 2018 Kona Limited with painted wheels and there were no issue/s with wheel paint delamination.

I don't have a driving purpose. However you do, it's obvious and that's to bolster your own line of speculative thinking. You don't know about others and can only relate to your own experience. You're fixated on your own hypothesis and hoping others will go along with you. I don't really care your having issues with your wheels. It's not my problem or anyone else's here. You own it and have to deal with Hyundai. I don't have any problems with my wheels.

I've told you exactly what I think, you can't or don't want to accept it. It's is on you. Other people are simply not going to agree with you, because you've got the issue on a 2019 Veloster R-Spec. Keeping in mind you own a VN base or PP or the appropriate wheels mounted.

You're obviously concerned about being given additional warranted wheels if the problem persists. It also sounds like you've gotten your limit of replacement wheels thru Hyundai. Suggestion, go purchase some aftermarket wheels of your choice and be happy with what you purchase or not.

I'm simply not going to blow smoke up your arse or pat you on the back no matter what you, believe or comment too because you think your right. You've given nothing to indicate there is a mass problem with any Hyundai wheels, that requires a TSB or recall by Hyundai.
Do you think I’m going to have to ask for the dealer to replace my wheels or they’re gonna do it for me. In my experience I more or less had to beg them to replace things that were covered under warranty.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts