Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i just bought a 2020 veloster N 2 weeks ago and already had one of the pirelli p zeros blow out on me due to a pothole, i wanted to buy a thicker tire but not sure if i'm going to rub the fender. Can someone help? I'm not interested on buying smaller wheels either. Thanks!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
You mean you want a taller sidewall?

You can't do that without going down in wheel size. If you do this with factory 19s you'd change the speedometer reading to be inaccurate if the overall wheel/tire assembly changes diameter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

You can't do that without going down in wheel size. If you do this with factory 19s you'd change the speedometer reading to be inaccurate if the overall wheel/tire assembly changes diameter.
Hi, Yes taller sidewall because these low profiles are terrible to have in NJ with all the potholes and crap roads. So i would have to run 18 inch instead?

·
Registered
79 Posts

While the speedometer would become inaccurate, that difference is marginal. It would probably be less than a 1mph variance at 60mph. The following site helped me find and select a new set of wheels when I decided to go move away from OEM spec.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What size did you go with? 245/35/19?

Ultimately if he's not gonna downsize wheel diameter then it comes down to weighing how much you care about speedo/odometer accuracy over adding sidewall. 245/35 is a pretty negligible gain in sidewall (can you even feel a difference?) to make you gain nearly an extra 1 mile per 60 miles. That doesn't feel worth it to me but YMMV (no pun intended).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi, Yes taller sidewall because these low profiles are terrible to have in NJ with all the potholes and crap roads. So i would have to run 18 inch instead?
To make a significant difference to protect again potholes you need to add a good amount of sidewall. To do this on the 19s you're risking rubbing + making the speedo/odo pretty inaccurate.

The right way to do this is downsize to 18s. If you stay between 8-8.5" width go 235/40/18 - you get another ~0.5" in sidewall over the 19s and keep speedo/odo almost perfectly accurate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am using the Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate High Performance All Season. I really like them.. Roads tested on 129 the Tail of the Dragon and 226a the Diamondback. ConsumerReports top rated tire.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What size did you go with? 245/35/19?

Ultimately if he's not gonna downsize wheel diameter then it comes down to weighing how much you care about speedo/odometer accuracy over adding sidewall. 245/35 is a pretty negligible gain in sidewall (can you even feel a difference?) to make you gain nearly an extra 1 mile per 60 miles. That doesn't feel worth it to me but YMMV (no pun intended).
I think I misunderstood your original post; I meant that the variance at the speedo is negligible at an 18” wheel diameter with a larger sidewall. I agree that 18s are the way to go! I have 18x8.5 Enkei TS-10s on 245/40/18 Nitto NT-555s. No rubbing issues whatsoever, and I was able to shave some weight at each corner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts