Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally turned 16 recently and received my first car, to my surprise it was a 2020 VN and learning to drive manual has been a blast but I have been wondering if modding my car would add to the experience. I was wondering If anybody had some recommendations as to what mods I should put on it since I'm not all to adept with modding.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You’re lucky this is your first car, it’s got great safety features like cross traffic alert.

Thad said it’s easy to go fast and has no trouble holding the road even at speed. Just be aware that it’s very easy to suddenly find yourself going over 100 and it would suck to get a ticket but otherwise have fun.

The car is small so merging through traffic is fun and parking is easy, I generally always reverse park since the turning radius on this car stinks.

Also I’d suggest you dont attempt to slide out the back the hand brake is weak and it’s not intended for aggressive slides.

Not what else to add, but have fun.

Sincerely an old man who’s double your age lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
Oh I forgot to answer your question

1. Jb4 and new plugs (upgraded ngk or hks)
2. Down pipe
3. Intercooler if you plan on driving hard on backroads you’re gonna need the car to stay cool it gets up to 220+ oil temps easily.

·
Registered
20 VN PP MT Perf. Blue, 22 KN Sonic Blue
112 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on the VN. If it is a 2020 then you will want to answer a major question first, is it a performance pack or not. If you don’t know then an easy way to check is to see what tire size it is (assuming it is on stock rims/tires), 235/35 R19 will be the performance pack. There are some other ways to tell too. Also in the US the 2020 didn’t come with some of the same safety features as newer ones do such as cross traffic alerts.

The next question is what do you want to get out of the car. There are a lot of avenues that you could go down. Do you want more noise, better looks, more performance? Considering this is presumably your first car then I would avoid performance mods to start off.

Get to know your car really well and look for ways to safely understand the limits of the car, just not on the street. I owned my 2020 VN for a good year and a half before equipping my first performance mods to it, so there is no need to rush on that. The stock car is plenty fun to start with. :)

I would recommend looking into getting your feet wet with some good longevity mods and some basic handiwork. Examples include catch cans (CCs) especially on the PCV side, e.x. Boomba stage II (Look on the forums for different CCs and see what calls your attention) and try changing your oil at regular intervals and after 10k miles or so try changing your transmission fluid (the break in on our cars’ transmissions is a little rough, so this is a good idea). After that you can see how much you enjoy working on the mechanical side of things. If you don’t enjoy it then maybe look at modding the looks of your car. Modding for performance will often have you spending long nights working on the car.

I hope this helps you. Remember to have fun and be safe. I love my VN and hope you enjoy yours too!

·
Registered
106 Posts
You gotta drive your VN around and see what you what about your N that needs modding. Modding your car is personal and everyone has different needs. Just don't be one of those people that throw every mod available just because... thats how you turn a great car to trash

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wheels and tires will by far be your best modification for the car and is something you will notice right away. The turn radius is awful on the Veloster N’s but I noticed a great upgrade once I switched to 18” wheels. GL with the car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’ll share this brief story that changed my perspective about modding vehicles. While working at a motorcycle shop I started to investigate an intake and ECU for my Husqvarna 701 Supermoto. An old motocross pro, Weymess Scott looked at me like a Jedi looking through me. Then looks slightly mockingly at me and says “ Len, do you really have the throttle like this ( gives wide open gesture )” For me a lightbulb went off that said I didn’t need it. Like that old motorcycle of mine and the Veloster N are plenty fast. I personally will only be making aero, aesthetic changes and adding catch cans to mine but to each there own.
Welcome to the forum and be safe out there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Your only 16 save your money and just enjoy the car, it's great straight off the lot. Your not only learning to drive stick but learning to drive period. Just my .02 take it for what it's worth. congrats to you as well.
^You ain't wrong on that. The VN is an awesome first car, don't get caught up in the modding game and just enjoy it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I finally turned 16 recently and received my first car, to my surprise it was a 2020 VN and learning to drive manual has been a blast but I have been wondering if modding my car would add to the experience. I was wondering If anybody had some recommendations as to what mods I should put on it since I'm not all to adept with modding.
I recommend no mods if you want the car last.

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N (PP) White
45 Posts
Congratulations, helluva first car. The car is more fun than most car's stock. If you want to mod for modding's sake or just get your hands dirty, focus on reliability like Pichu said
I would recommend looking into getting your feet wet with some good longevity mods and some basic handiwork. Examples include catch cans (CCs) especially on the PCV side, e.x. Boomba stage II (Look on the forums for different CCs and see what calls your attention) and try changing your oil at regular intervals and after 10k miles or so try changing your transmission fluid (the break in on our cars’ transmissions is a little rough, so this is a good idea). After that you can see how much you enjoy working on the mechanical side of things. If you don’t enjoy it then maybe look at modding the looks of your car. Modding for performance will often have you spending long nights working on the car.
Alternatively, if its your financial responsibility to maintain the car and not your guardian's, save up and just keep up with maintenance. It'll be more across the board than most other econoboxes most 16 year olds get. More expensive oil, tires, brake pads, etc.

The community for this car is small but very friendly. If you can find an N group in person at your local cars and coffee and stuff, you can go talk to them and get an in person feel for what CAN be done to the car.

Have fun, take care of it, be safe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts