Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it'd be a cool to hear about everyone's first experience with the N. Share your first sight/love experience with the car!

I've been working at Hyundai for about a year now. When I first heard about the N coming to the states, I started doing as much research as I could. I studied the diagrams, investigated the parts, and anxiously awaited the arrival of our first N. Once I seen everything I've read in person, I was blown away. I didn't think Hyundai was going to take this risk, but I was wrong, and they were oh so right!

·
Registered
3 Posts
There I was 15 mins before dealership closed to just sit in the back to know if it had room for my daughter. He insisted I test drive it and as soon as he turned it on and that rumble happened I knew I was getting it

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There I was 15 mins before dealership closed to just sit in the back to know if it had room for my daughter. He insisted I test drive it and as soon as he turned it on and that rumble happened I knew I was getting it
The rumbles and pops are an amazing "accident" from Hyundai and I am so glad they kept it!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I took the Spec-R for a drive and holy **** that is a great and fun handling car!. This is coming from a hard core autocrosser who owns a 2012 NC Miata and 2017 ND Miata setup setup in STR Trim (IHE, Tune, Suspension). So I had to track down an N with the PP of course :).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Meant to Be

My interest in the N was first caught from watching a video from the Straight Pipes of them driving a pre-production Veloster N to the CIAS early last year. I couldn't believe the way Hyundai had engineered the car and I absolutely loved the new design. Unfortunately, the car was still in development at the time so I knew it would be awhile before I got to see one in person.

Flash-forward to the summer of '18; I was in Europe studying abroad. One weekend, I decided to take a trip to Germany to go see the Nürburgring as it was a life-long dream of mine. I was lucky enough to visit on the day they were doing the "Trackwalk" on the Nordschleife. While we were walking down the track, the tour guide got a radio call telling all of us to move to the side of the road as some of the last testing cars were coming through (the track was closed at this point). As we move to the side, you could hear a rumble in the distance and sure enough, Hyundai was driving through with the i30N TCR, pre-production i30N Fastback, and the Veloster N. Seeing those cars pass by on the Nürburgring in person made me feel a special connection with them and I have been obsessed with the Veloster N ever since. I plan on getting one for myself in Fall of this year.

I also got some cool photos/videos! ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I keep my cars forever. My scion had 225,000 miles when someone pulled out in front of my son and totaled it. I knew I wanted a snappy little sport car. First look was WRX. Nice enough car, terrible reliability record (my biggest factor). GTI get's great reviews, avg reliability, and I didn't love the looks. Nicely built car though. Civic Type-R is wild but I hated the dash. They didn't want me to test drive it though. I drove the SI and it's an OK car, but the felt cheap for a Honda and didn't wow me. Nice, but no wow factor. Researching the Type-R more and I was getting close, but then I saw the Straight Pipes review for "Type-R Killer?" video and I had to check it out. Very few available in central Florida and most dealers were tacking on crazy mark ups. I even considered the R-Spec (loved the looks of the car, those orange seat stripe and dash accents are sweet!). Found 2 at dealership in Cocoa (less than 30 miles from my house).

Went to look at it, and had my wife drive first (I always have her drive first since she has the veto vote). She loved it!! I did as well. The car was absolutely everything I was looking for and hit all the right notes. The rumble and pop-pops just added to the experience. The OTD price was at the edge of what we had agreed to spend. I asked to drive the R-Spec to see what I was giving up (some articles say it is the better deal as it is 90% of the car at 75% of the price). After driving the N first, there was just no comparison (although the R Spec shifter felt a lot smoother, less 'slotty' or 'notchy', but the nob was a branding iron since it was mid-90s the day we drove it). My wife said, "If we are buying this car, we are getting the N." My wife set a number and asked if she could get them to that did I want it. Of course I did. I stepped back and let her do her magic. We actually drove away from the dealership, we almost always sleep on the numbers overnight. 20 minutes later we drove back and dropped a deposit to hold the car and picked her up the next day.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Great story mattblowers! I totally agree with you about the R Spec shifter vs. the N. The N isn't quite as slick but has a "heavier hand" to it...endearing in a way. The whole N seems like a robust and solid build.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great YouTube reviews, Albert Biermann leading the project (Chief engineer from BMW M?! no way!), rumbles and pops, phenomenal handling, Hyundai warranty, value price with everything, looks, being a small hatchback. I LOVE this car! I cant wait until they make all the aftermarket performance parts for it!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nothing, I don't love a car! :grin: I love my wife and family.:wink: I do have a distinctive like for the "N" though.:smile:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Great YouTube reviews, Albert Biermann leading the project (Chief engineer from BMW M?! no way!), rumbles and pops, phenomenal handling, Hyundai warranty, value price with everything, looks, being a small hatchback. I LOVE this car! I cant wait until they make all the aftermarket performance parts for it!
Yeah. This sums it up for me as well. I was looking for a car in the $30K price range, new or used, and did a ton of research. Used cars are often a great value, but the value of a brand new Veloster N rivals the value of used cars with similar performance specs. Why not get a new car, then? The Veloster N was it.

Nothing, I don't love a car! :grin: I love my wife and family.:wink: I do have a distinctive like for the "N" though.:smile:
Uhhh... I don't think anyone loves their car the same way they love people. You're one of those people who takes things literally, aren't you?

Max

·
Registered
128 Posts
No, I don't mix words or descriptions of my emotion. It's a material thing, I'm a realist and don't express deep emotions for worldly possessions or materialism. When I leave here, I most certainly can't take it with me.

It can't appreciate love. It doesn't think, have emotions, breath and incapable of returning love. It's simply a thing of ownership. I can let it go, as quickly as I bought it. There is no emotional attachment to it in anyway. Hence, I like the car for what it is and I bought if for, nothing more. I may get enjoyment out of it but that's all.

I was looking for a car in the $30K price range, new or used, and did a ton of research. Used cars are often a great value, but the value of a brand new Veloster N rivals the value of used cars with similar performance specs. Why not get a new car, then? The Veloster N was it.
To me, this is simply being practical, in-accordance with what you wanted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a Civic Si way way back and a Scirocco 16v even further back, this "N" sort of reminds me of them but much much better. ****, I'm old...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not to be taken literally.
Really, I beg to differ with you.

To me, it's simply a misuse and definition of the word. I take the word of "love" in it's formal and true context, as it is endearing to me.

There are 8 definable types of love;

1. “Eros” or Erotic Love
2. “Philia” or Affectionate Love
3. “Storge” or Familiar Love
4. “Ludus” or Playful Love
5. “Mania” or Obsessive Love
6. “Pragma” or Enduring Love
7. “Philautia” or Self Love
8. Agape” or Selfless Love

A car is does none of these things for me and has nothing to do with "Love." I simply accept "Love," as it was meant to be. It's truly a soulful word. This in fact is; my personal prerogative. You are exercising yours, allow me to do the same.

You can define and justify it as you like. I don't have to pervert the word, with innocuous colloquialisms. I know it's true origin and meaning. I simply choose to reject the use of the word "Love," in any other connotation or fashion. Enough said!

That being said, "I like the N for what I purchased it for." It serves a purpose, bought and paid for.

No one can buy true, "Love!" It's a beautiful word and its understanding is even more enlightening, as it is and holds the true meaning to life itself.

Thanks, for allowing me to say so.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Veloster N 62
Did your mother love you as a child?
This answer to this could explain a few things. ..lol
Frankly, that's none of your business, she's passed away many years ago. She was a stellar person, an RN for over 45 years.

I suppose I can ask the same of you, but it's rhetorical and I'll refrain with the pundit questions.:wink::grin:

It's way off topic here anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dear God man, the rest of us actually understood what the OP was asking. Every forum has a curmudgeon, you seem to be ours. I bet you are the life of the party.

Back on topic: I still can't get over the exhaust. I know I posted it before, but that exhaust is sooooo nice. It really hits the sweet spot and makes me smile. My wife tends to roll her eyes when I do it. It's the first performance vehicle of any sort that I have owned where I was completely happy with the stock exhaust. Maybe it's partly the pumped in notes, but I think it sounds fantastic standing outside the car when it's fired up in my garage.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts