Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure, I like the impressive handling, acceleration and the outstanding braking of my N, they go without saying.
However for me, I have driven and owned many sports cars over the years, and all of them had great handling, acceleration and braking.
So what sets apart my Veloster N is definitely the active exhaust.
I never realized how much a great sounding exhaust can add to the driving enjoyment.
I just can't get enough of the throaty growl and the pops and crackles of the exhaust in N mode.
What's your flavor?

·
Registered
85 Posts
For me, it’s the “variability”. The fact that I can chose between different characteristics, simply by adjusting settings in a menu. It’s a real daily when I need it to be, and when I’m in the mood to “drive” it can adapt to my mood at the selection of an option.
I don’t need to spend any extra $$$ on enhancements that will render it “fun to drive” but now I can’t pull up to the office in it.
For me, it’s a true “everything for every occasion” car.
Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Gas mileage. I know it sounds stupid, but every car I've been in since high school never got over 24 mpg. My Mazda6 averaged 23-24, my Speed3 was 24 on 93, 21 on E85/93 mix, my Challenger gets 22 on a good tank, 19 on a normal one, but I'm averaging 29 mpg with the N. I used to drive my Speed3 hard every time I got in it, but now that I'm older I very seldom even get on it in the N, maybe once a trip, if that even.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gas mileage. I know it sounds stupid, but every car I've been in since high school never got over 24 mpg. My Mazda6 averaged 23-24, my Speed3 was 24 on 93, 21 on E85/93 mix, my Challenger gets 22 on a good tank, 19 on a normal one, but I'm averaging 29 mpg with the N. I used to drive my Speed3 hard every time I got in it, but now that I'm older I very seldom even get on it in the N, maybe once a trip, if that even.
Oh boy have you opened a can of worms.
My experience has been the complete opposite to yours.
The first things I do when I get into my N is turn on the heated seats and heated steering wheel, then put the car in N custom mode, to sharpen up everything but the dampers (keep them in normal mode) and turn on the glorious active exhaust.
This is my first car with a heated steering wheel, and I must say it's a very nice feature.
I'm averaging maybe 19 mpg because I'm always on the "right pedal", both literally and figuratively.
I mean what's the point of buying the N if you only seldom "get on it" and even think of your gas mileage?
I hate to say it, but I think you might have been better off in a Toyota Prius.😉
My mindset is every time I get into my N is another automotive adventure.
To each his own I guess.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh boy have you opened a can of worms.
My experience has been the complete opposite to yours.
The first things I do when I get into my N is turn on the heated seats and heated steering wheel, then put the car in N custom mode, to sharpen up everything but the dampers (keep them in normal mode) and turn on the glorious active exhaust.
This is my first car with a heated steering wheel, and I must say it's a very nice feature.
I'm averaging maybe 19 mpg because I'm always on the "right pedal", both literally and figuratively.
I mean what's the point of buying the N if you only seldom "get on it" and even think of your gas mileage?
I hate to say it, but I think you might have been better off in a Toyota Prius.😉
My mindset is every time I get into my N is another automotive adventure.
To each his own I guess.
Because honestly the N is a slow car. I've never pictured this vehicle as "fast". I'd never drive a Prius. I wanted something I could have fun with occasionally. I'm not babying it to get to 28-29 so it's crazy to me that people have trouble breaking into the 20s. I stay on the throttle just like I would any other vehicle I've ever driven. When my Speed was running I'd hit 130+ every single day. I also got $5k worth of tickets, and almost getting arrested for running from a cop. That really toned down my driving. I'm 26, but I really don't care to drive fast anymore. This car was the best of all worlds. Some performance, decent gas mileage, and cheap. I considered a 6th gen SS but the backseat is too small for my daughter. Considered an SRT Jeep, but all of those in my price range had 90k+ miles. Pre-ordered a Bronco, but I just couldn't picture myself in one. Really thought about a Q50 RS, but I wanted a manual. I spent about 10 months looking at cars before I decided. I have no remorse with this car. Oh I forgot to mention I always drive in N Custom too. Same settings as you.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've never reset the accumulated mpg and after 20k miles it's at 30mpg overall. I'm in a similar boat with not really being able to get another speeding ticket for a while but I get on it as much as traffic allows, just never gets much beyond 3rd gear anymore. The only time I really notice mpg drop is after I have to leave the car at a shop, etc and it sees a lot of idle time. I think a big part of lower mpg might just be stop and go driving and more time idling as I'll be 15mpg on a commute like that.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because honestly the N is a slow car. I've never pictured this vehicle as "fast". I'd never drive a Prius. I wanted something I could have fun with occasionally. I'm not babying it to get to 28-29 so it's crazy to me that people have trouble breaking into the 20s. I stay on the throttle just like I would any other vehicle I've ever driven. When my Speed was running I'd hit 130+ every single day. I also got $5k worth of tickets, and almost getting arrested for running from a cop. That really toned down my driving. I'm 26, but I really don't care to drive fast anymore. This car was the best of all worlds. Some performance, decent gas mileage, and cheap. I considered a 6th gen SS but the backseat is too small for my daughter. Considered an SRT Jeep, but all of those in my price range had 90k+ miles. Pre-ordered a Bronco, but I just couldn't picture myself in one. Really thought about a Q50 RS, but I wanted a manual. I spent about 10 months looking at cars before I decided. I have no remorse with this car. Oh I forgot to mention I always drive in N Custom too. Same settings as you.
I disagree that the N is a slow car.
Any car that hits 60mph in the mid 5 second range is definitely not slow in my opinion.
I had a 2005 Porsche Boxster and my N is definitely quicker.
I figured out why my mileage is very low.
I currently own 2 cars, one VW TDI Sportwagen auto, and the N.
So when I need to just drive from A to B, I take the VW. When I feel like having fun, I drive the N.
Fun=low fuel economy.
Kind of like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
If the N was my only vehicle, I no doubt would get better fuel economy.
I just love been Mr Hyde. 😜

·
Registered
7 Posts
By and large, many performance cars have become so fast that there is no sane way of using half their capabilities on the street. Yeah, maybe I'm getting old, but today's cars are way beyond what most of us grew up with. Even for $30K you have cars that have well under 6 second 0-60 times. For not much more, you can dip into the fours. Golden days indeed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
By and large, many performance cars have become so fast that there is no sane way of using half their capabilities on the street. Yeah, maybe I'm getting old, but today's cars are way beyond what most of us grew up with. Even for $30K you have cars that have well under 6 second 0-60 times. For not much more, you can dip into the fours. Golden days indeed.
My favorite thing is it's a "Goldilocks car" meaning it does everything just right and is fun to boot. Even for mid level sport cars these days not only is there no sane way to use their capabilities on the street but even on the track it's only the talented track rats that can make them approach their full potential. I'm old too and for comparison see Motor Trend's article of one of the most beloved Sports Car through the years, the Toyota Supra:
The Quickest Toyota Supras We’ve Ever Tested (motortrend.com)
Car performance has certainly evolved as it's only the last model that has a better acceleration (stock) and lateral acceleration is identical. The Supra sold for $31K-$51K in 90's dollars. I may have to change my favorite thing to bang for the buck in hindsight.
Happy New Year all!

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
46 Posts
My favorite thing about the N PP is the value for buck hands down. You get handling, sound, performance, reliability (100K), great braking, great tires, and the ability to switch between modes in 2 paddles on the wheel. This is the most versatile and fun car I have ever had and I have had VW, HONDA, NISMO Z.

Is it perfect? Of course not. Is it the best car you can get for dollar? In my opinion, yes. If you never add a dollar into it in mods you are still left with an amazing car and experience. Adding to the car is just icing on the cake.

Happy new year and great thread idea to the OP.

-JE

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My favorite thing about the N PP is the value for buck hands down. You get handling, sound, performance, reliability (100K), great braking, great tires, and the ability to switch between modes in 2 paddles on the wheel. This is the most versatile and fun car I have ever had and I have had VW, HONDA, NISMO Z.

Is it perfect? Of course not. Is it the best car you can get for dollar? In my opinion, yes. If you never add a dollar into it in mods you are still left with an amazing car and experience. Adding to the car is just icing on the cake.

Happy new year and great thread idea to the OP.

-JE
I have to completely agree with you my friend.
After in depth contemplation, I think I'll change my answer to a tie. Great bang for your performance buck(especially if you can find a 2020 at dealer cost), and an awesome, active exhaust.
Happy New Year everyone. 🥳

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Veloster N DCT
12 Posts
+1 on that comment. High HP modifications can really kill the fun for street driving as well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I love talking to people who think muscle cars from the 60s are so much faster and safer than modern cars. Then you look at 1\4 mile times and 0-60- not even to mention cornering stats and you realize that most modern cars are very fast. The entire package is faster even if the engine got smaller and may not be putting down the same power. This may not be GT3 fast, but this car is fast. High end cars recently have just gone off the rails performance-wise and fast cars look slow in comparison.

As for safety- people are idiots in general.

My favorite part of the car is probably the stereo. I love the sub in the back, the infinity sound is awesome. It's the feature I spend the most time enjoying.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love talking to people who think muscle cars from the 60s are so much faster and safer than modern cars. Then you look at 1\4 mile times and 0-60- not even to mention cornering stats and you realize that most modern cars are very fast. The entire package is faster even if the engine got smaller and may not be putting down the same power. This may not be GT3 fast, but this car is fast. High end cars recently have just gone off the rails performance-wise and fast cars look slow in comparison.

As for safety- people are idiots in general.

My favorite part of the car is probably the stereo. I love the sub in the back, the infinity sound is awesome. It's the feature I spend the most time enjoying.
Stereo......what's that?
I'm way too busy listening to the awesome exhaust note.
I love making popcorn.
LMAO.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Favorite part hands down is the immediate power delivery. There's virtually no turbo lag and the car lays down the power exactly when you need it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts