Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving just a few minutes ago and was noticing there was weird noise coming from the engine area/ upper dash area possibly. Sounds like right where the turbo is actually. But almost sounds like a weird rattle that you can't feel, but hear past 3000 RPM's. Doesn't seems as bad in Normal Mode as it is in Sport, N, and Custom with the engine set too sport + and exhaust set to sport +. Also does it when just revving the engine and not moving. Looks like a dealer appointment. Ugh thought I was going to get lucky and not have any issues with mine. Whatever it is, it wasn't there yesterday.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Was it a buzzing sound? If it is it might be either the eyeglass holder or the rear view mirror rattling. It's a common problem.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was it a buzzing sound? If it is it might be either the eyeglass holder or the rear view mirror rattling. It's a common problem.
Kind of I think. Its weird. I'm going to investigate it more of course. Literally sounds like it's coming from under the hood right where the turbo sits.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yes sir, It's probably sound generator like, Nomad stated. It's loose or the internals are rattling. You can check it buy lifting the windshield and wiper cowl. It's located underneath. There is a connector you can pull or you can remover the entire unit. It's about the size of your palm. right in the middle.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe it starts by removing the wipers but I just removed a couple clips and was able to lift up the cowl enough to get a long screwdriver in there and slide the plug off. Padigree posted a vid showing the proper way to do it but you might be lucky and able to get it without removing the wipers.

https://youtu.be/knjo66Cxa_E
Thanks. I will definitely check it out. Just drove the car again, and now that sound isn't there. But I did tap my rear view mirror while in N mode and it was vibrating like a woman's fav toy! That could be the source, but I'm still going to remove that sound generator. It can't be making that much difference.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That dang sound generator, I unplugged mine. After a couple days you won't miss it one bit.
Thanks. I will definitely check it out. Just drove the car again, and now that sound isn't there. But I did tap my rear view mirror while in N mode and it was vibrating like a woman's fav toy! That could be the source, but I'm still going to remove that sound generator. It can't be making that much difference.

Love to hear how it goes...and also interested to see if I would miss it on my N.

In fact, in the last 10 minutes or so...done! I'll take it to the game and let you know what I think.

·
Registered
310 Posts
When mine started rattling it only happened once every 2 weeks or so, over time it increased. I was just unplugging it temporarily until i took it in but after a few days decided i didnt care to have it back.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Just take care of all three, they are none problems.:wink: The rear view mirror and the eyeglass holder are the easiest. Move the rear view mirror around and reposition it squeezing the top and bottom of the mirror. It's pretty tight as well in the swivel. You can also, tilt it upwards all the way and use a bit of vaseline or silicone grease on the swivel ball. Then simply, reposition it back in place. You can utilize velcro or adhesive backed felt to silence the eyeglass holder rattle.

By the way it make, a great taco holder.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When mine started rattling it only happened once every 2 weeks or so, over time it increased. I was just unplugging it temporarily until i took it in but after a few days decided i didnt care to have it back.

Fair enough reasoning. I gotta say after driving it around tonight in normal and custom, I like it better. While really paying attention to the exhaust over time there were instances where it seemed a little digitized so to speak, or just not what I would be anticipating. I like it sounding from the back more, instead of all in the cabin.

I just took off the 4 clips up front that hold the plastic guard in place and had plenty of room to disconnect the plug. Did not pull the wipers. There's also some vent slats that I'll be able to use to tie wrap the cable to. I'll take some pics if anyone wants to see it. The video sums it well...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was not even aware there was a sound generator. Does it come through the speakers or is it from the little device?

I get the glasses holder rattle and have been meaning to add felt to dampen it.

So it's been said the sound isn't missed, but you guy's CAN tell a difference?

·
Registered
310 Posts
It doesn't come through the speakers, it seems to just radiate from the windshield as that device operates. Unplugging it is noticeable at first but was much less of a difference than I expected and the next time i started the car it sounded natural to me.

Like mentioned above you lose a little of the sound from the "engine bay" area and instead it's all exhaust. To me at times the esg somewhat resembled the sound you can get from a cai but at other times sounded artificial.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Unplugged the sound generator, and wah la....sound fixed! I actually prefer it without the sound generator. There is a slight difference. Just like what was said about more sound coming from the rear and just exhaust. I now hear what everybody else hears. And she purrs so nice!

BTW...Thanks to everyone! No trip to the dealer now. I avoid them like the black plague! Now the Dealer where I bought it in another state, their awesome! Not my local though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just read this thread from beginning to end. There is a lot of great information here on this site. My N doesn't have a rattle, but it may in the future, and I too appreciate the help you gave "Vape".

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes's all the way down the line. Yes I like i better. During the first 20 minutes I wondered if I would miss it or not, but once the car was warm and in N mode it sounds better IMO...

I put a small piece of electrical tape on the end of the connector in case of water. Needs a tiny bit more work.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm convinced..I'm gonna try the quick way and pop up the plastic piece and disconnect with a screwdriver. Thanks for all the opinions boys!
Thats what I did. I took out the 4 plastic connectors and it was enough to get my skinny hand in there and take that connector off. Its really easy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I actually got a nasty ticking buzzing sound as we hit freezing this weekend. I've noticed it before when it was cold in the morning and never happened when warmer in the afternoons. It was oddly synthetic and I can tell it didn't match the engine output perfectly. Nasty tick/buzz. Almost like a busted speaker. Unplugged that sound turd and problem solved. I enjoy the lack of sound from the front. I was almost like a drone. I refused to use sport+ on the highway, but now it's tolerable.

I just popped the 4 tabs on the cowl by the windshield and squeezed my hand in and unplugged and tucked it away.

I did break a **** tab doing it. I'll have to order one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts