Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is anyone familiar with alternate weight placement for dynamic balancing?

I test fit an 18x8.5+48 Enkei PF01 wheel and it clears radially and laterallly.

However, there is only 3mm clearance between the caliper and barrel, preventing placement of a wheel weight there.

Does anyone know if the weight could be placed in the position of the blue arrow?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I managed to have my Motegi MR145 17x8.5 et42 wheels, which have around 1mm clearance on the stock brakes, balanced with even less space around the calipers. The place that balanced them was a little confused by what I was asking for, and told me he couldn't quite get it as balanced as he would normally. If you go to a performance wheel shop they'll probably get it, if you go to a big chain tire shop they may not get it.

Your blue arrow doesn't look too inboard to me. If you're tracking these wheels however, be prepared for the weights to fall off in the pits when close to the caliper. The heat melts the glue. If you have weights over the calipers or rotor areas, they can fall into the brakes and jam the wheel as you drive away. I got lucky and the only thing that broke was one of my pad springs, but it could be worse.

By now most of my track wheel weights have fallen off. To be honest you hardly notice on track because you're never consistently travelling at the worst speed. I've heard aluminum tape over the weights can help but I haven't had a chance to try.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I managed to have my Motegi MR145 17x8.5 et42 wheels, which have around 1mm clearance on the stock brakes, balanced with even less space around the calipers. The place that balanced them was a little confused by what I was asking for, and told me he couldn't quite get it as balanced as he would normally. If you go to a performance wheel shop they'll probably get it, if you go to a big chain tire shop they may not get it.

Your blue arrow doesn't look too inboard to me. If you're tracking these wheels however, be prepared for the weights to fall off in the pits when close to the caliper. The heat melts the glue. If you have weights over the calipers or rotor areas, they can fall into the brakes and jam the wheel as you drive away. I got lucky and the only thing that broke was one of my pad springs, but it could be worse.

By now most of my track wheel weights have fallen off. To be honest you hardly notice on track because you're never consistently travelling at the worst speed. I've heard aluminum tape over the weights can help but I haven't had a chance to try.
Appreciate the detailed response 👍
The blue arrow isn’t too far inboard, but it is slightly angled rather than flat, which has me a bit concerned.
I’ve seen many people use the foil tape over the weights to prevent the adhesive from failing, so I bet it works.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I did notice the slope, and if you're tracking with those wheels without aluminum tape, I suspect the weights will work their way inboard. Hard to say if they'll actually come off and find their way out the sides of the wheel, I'm not sure how much the adhesive can flow when hot. Foil tape may just be enough. If I were you I'd try to put them on the flatter region just inboard of the slope.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did notice the slope, and if you're tracking with those wheels without aluminum tape, I suspect the weights will work their way inboard. Hard to say if they'll actually come off and find their way out the sides of the wheel, I'm not sure how much the adhesive can flow when hot. Foil tape may just be enough. If I were you I'd try to put them on the flatter region just inboard of the slope.
Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
236 Posts
I don't run the dust shield. So I had to buy heat reflectively film to protect some stuff. I used the same thing to cover the wheel weights just in case. Pagid RST1s are very high friction and generate a lot of heat. This is one of my wheels after one day of HPDE. You can see the tape. This is the only photo I found with the tape 😂

Attachments

·
Registered
2,905 Posts

Silver or aluminum tape over the weight stack works but the rim has to be really clean. Any brake dust or film will keep it from sealing on the inside of the rim.

Here’s a small diagram for those who don’t know the proper placement for dynamic balancing. There are several locations the weights can be placed.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Based on that diagram it doesn’t look like placing the weights where I need to will work. Appreciate you sharing it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts