Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have done a great deal of research on new and used cars at the $30,000 price point and decided not long ago that a new Veloster N was the car for me. Finding one at a dealer near me in blue with the performance package was a challenge. Finally, a week ago, I checked the inventory on the Hyundai USA website and it showed one at a dealer in my area. I gave the dealer a call and found out that I knew about the car before they did! It wasn't there yet but was in transit, and they let me put a refundable $500 deposit on it so that when it arrived I could buy it. Now, I'm just waiting, and while I'm waiting, I'm learning as much as I can by reading the forums here, watching as many videos and reading as many articles about it as I can, and even downloading the owners' manual and looking through it.

I hope to learn a lot during my wait (they said it could arrive anytime between now and 4/25), so I will be visiting this forum every day to get all the tips and see how everyone else is enjoying their N. Looking forward to being an active part of this community.

Max

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just passed my break in period. Coming from a 2012 wrx hatch, I think the N is great. Kinda miss the AWD. If you get the N with the PP, you won’t be disappointed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Max, where did you find the owners manual on line? I am looking for the same. I have found an I30N manual as well as the standard 2019 Veloster...but no N!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Max, where did you find the owners manual on line? I am looking for the same. I have found an I30N manual as well as the standard 2019 Veloster...but no N!
So, I might have misled you. I went to this website, https://owners.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/resources/manuals-warranties.html and searched for the N manual and only found the Veloster manual. That's all I could find and that's what I've been paging through while I wait for my car. I don't understand why Hyundai doesn't make the N manual available, but they appear not to have done so.

Max

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is good stuff Max...thanks for your reply. It's a lot of material to learn and be aware of! Yes, still no N specific.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aaaaaand I'm still waiting. I put my deposit down over a week ago. The dealer says he won't know when it is coming until the truck pulls up with it.

I can track and Amazon delivery to the minute, but Hyundai can't track a car??

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
DCT coming soon ;) If you aren't into manuals like me who drive 30k+ miles a year, you may want to look into the dual clutch they are testing!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can't figure out why anyone would want this car with any kind of automatic transmission.
for figures: 1. people who drive a lot & don't wanna hassle with a manual
2. better gas economy
3. quicker shifting
4. traffic days in a dct aren't as bad as ones in a manual

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just passed my break in period. Coming from a 2012 wrx hatch, I think the N is great. Kinda miss the AWD. If you get the N with the PP, you won’t be disappointed.
How long is the break-in period? I'm at about 800 miles from new and wondering when I can take it to the track for the first time?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How long is the break-in period? I'm at about 800 miles from new and wondering when I can take it to the track for the first time?
The manual says to follow the break-in guidelines for the first 600 miles. You're safe for the track.

Max

·
Registered
75 Posts
Aaaaaand I'm still waiting. I put my deposit down over a week ago. The dealer says he won't know when it is coming until the truck pulls up with it.

I can track and Amazon delivery to the minute, but Hyundai can't track a car??
Max! The dealer has access to a "Shipment Tracker" which has your specific VIN number with detailed shipment information. Starts with shipment date from Korea, port arrival, shipment out of port of entry and dealer arrival date. The delay from port arrival to arrival at the dealership can be 3 weeks or more....

Dealers generally don't pay much attention to this information because they are more on a "they arrive when they arrive" mode. Unusual for them to have a customer with a deposit down on a car and can hardly wait for its arrival! This may be part of the reason dealerships do not want to order a car specifically for a customer..more admin checking on arrival status...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Max! The dealer has access to a "Shipment Tracker" which has your specific VIN number with detailed shipment information. Starts with shipment date from Korea, port arrival, shipment out of port of entry and dealer arrival date. The delay from port arrival to arrival at the dealership can be 3 weeks or more....

Dealers generally don't pay much attention to this information because they are more on a "they arrive when they arrive" mode. Unusual for them to have a customer with a deposit down on a car and can hardly wait for its arrival! This may be part of the reason dealerships do not want to order a car specifically for a customer..more admin checking on arrival status...
Great info! Do you mind if I ask how you know this, and where you got your information? Because if I go to the dealer with less than ample documentation to show that he is wrong, he might get a bit offended. Thanks!!

Max

·
Registered
75 Posts
Max, I am in the same wait mode as yourself. My dealer offered up the information. They may call it a "Delivery Log". At some point in the process of ordering and delivering the dealer can acquire the VIN number for vehicles coming their way. I believe using the vin as their guide they can access delivery log information. It does appear that delivery can be a bit of a moving target for them.....the delivery date for my car has changed 3 times....
If your dealer does not have this access, it may be in the hands of a regional factory guy or other Hyundai employee........

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Max, I am in the same wait mode as yourself. My dealer offered up the information. They may call it a "Delivery Log". At some point in the process of ordering and delivering the dealer can acquire the VIN number for vehicles coming their way. I believe using the vin as their guide they can access delivery log information. It does appear that delivery can be a bit of a moving target for them.....the delivery date for my car has changed 3 times....
If your dealer does not have this access, it may be in the hands of a regional factory guy or other Hyundai employee........
Maybe I'll ask him about it, but I won't press him is he insists he can't give me a delivery date. I do have the VIN of the car in question, though. He printed me a copy of the window sticker.

Thanks.

Max

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good start, Max! Looks like your car does exist out there somewhere!.................will be exciting when it comes in. I am currently scheduled for 8 May..not holding my breath but hopeful! The good news: you will be ready to pick it up immediately following PDI...before some mad man takes it on a test drive....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Max, any news from your dealership? The waiting is tough isn't it. My dealer is going to try for an update on the 22nd. Hoping for something solid! I am noticing that dealers have N's in stock with VIN numbers indicating they were built after my expected VIN. I'd like to think this is a good sign.........Cheers, xplorguy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for asking, xplor. No, I'm still waiting. I did ask the dealer about what you said, and basically he said he "wasn't concerned" about it and expressed no willingness to find out when the car was coming. I tried calling Hyundai USA corporate but got nowhere with that. At this point, I'll just be happy to get it on the due date, which is Thursday.

Max

1 - 20 of 28 Posts