Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

1st, you need to take the bumper off. I assume people know how to do that so I will not go into detail with it. Once removed, you will be able to see everything you need to remove to do the install. You can leave the bottom plate on for this install.

2nd, take off the lower plastic air guide. It is held on by two 10mm bolts and just pulls off.

3rd, remove the air temp sensor from the holder and Dremel cut the welds on the holder. When the welds are very thin you can break them with a thick screw driver placed in the middle of the holder. Once removed, grind/sand down till very smooth then paint and let dry. I used gloss black Krylon for metal because it only takes 10 minutes to dry between coats. I used 2 coats.

4th, get a pair of wire snips and wedge the caps off of the band clamps on the rubber hoses on the top side of each pipe. (Easiest way, worked great!) You can now loosen the wire band clamps and pull the rubber hoses off each pipe. (One on each engine side.)

5th, get a 10mm socket and take off the 4 bolts holding the stock IC on. You will then be able to wiggle it free.

6th, take the air curtains (I put mine in a wooden vise) and mark the bottom corner of each side to where there is about 1 1/4 inches left of metal towards the inner part of the curtain. ( See pics.) From the bottom of the curtain you want to measure about 2 inches up and then cut. (See pic.) After cutting the appropriate cuts grind/sand down till smooth and round out any rough edges. Paint with 2 coats and let dry. (You will NOT be able to use the factory plastic lower air guide.)

7th, mount the" brand spanking new Wagner Tuning front mounted inter-cooler" just like you took the stock one out. Now secure the new inter-cooler with the 4 bolts that held the stock IC on. Use some blue lock-tite on the threads.

8th, for the driver side you want to put some lubricant (WD-40) around the inter-cooler inlet. Just enough to slide the new silicone hose on. When putting on silicone hoses, always do the inter-cooler side first as the silicone hose is easier to put on the stock pipes. Then put the other end of the silicone hose on the pipe that holds the BOV. The BOV is actually right over where this silicone hose goes.

9th, now to do the passenger side. Unbolt the hot-side pipe from the bottom of the engine block. Again, put a little WD-40 around the inter-cooler inlet and slide the hose on. Slide the hot pipe end into the other end of the silicone hose. Now you can attach the hot-side pipe back under the engine and secure both hose clamps.

10th, is to apply the weather guard to the bottom back side of the air curtain and install using a #5 hex end. Remember to use blue lock-tite on the screws that attach the air curtains to the inter-cooler.

11th, is to re-check everything and re-install the front bumper. Total time if you follow this write-up... 3 to 3 1/2 hours doing it by yourself being careful and thorough. You are now done! Whoo-Hooo! Pics are below. Hope you all enjoy them. :)

Best regards

-Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Looks good man, So.... do you like it? Also what is with the stupid arse tamper resistant hose clamps? That was my most not favorite part of my Forge install. But great job man.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the kind words. :) For the clamps I just used a pair of snips and they popped right off. I love the inter-cooler. Car runs better and it just seems to breathe better. It was worth every penny. Very easy install too. And the price wasn't too bad either. 780 delivered to my front door....

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wagner seems to have one specifically for the VN now.
Veloster N: Item no.: 200001172
i30n
: Item no.: 200001129

Did some research and apparently "tube & fin" is high quality than "bar and plate" intercoolers. Wagner is tube & fin :)

Edit: Wagner told me itll be available in Jan 2021....

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet! I am very happy with mine. With the proper cuts it really fits like a glove. Very easy install. If I didn't have to cut a thing the install seriously would take about 1.5 to 2 hours total time. It's a GREAT inter-cooler!

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sweet! I am very happy with mine. With the proper cuts it really fits like a glove. Very easy install. If I didn't have to cut a thing the install seriously would take about 1.5 to 2 hours total time. It's a GREAT inter-cooler!

Best regards,

-Mike
Sweet !! :D

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'll love it! Extremely well made! Nice choice!

Bets regards,

-Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts