Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So just bought a 2019 VN PP and I love the dam thing, BUT I noticed as an afterthought the low profile tires can become and issue with potholes and such. So get this one of the tires got a bubble like my second day owning it. Went to dealership, got it replaced and the same dam day I hit a pothole going on a roadtrip and its making me wonder am I just really unlucky or are these tires always going to be an issue? Anyways I bought some 18 inch rims with continentla purecontact LS all seasons with 225/40 width tire ratio instead of stock 235/35. Do you guys think these will help alleviate that issue?

Thank a bunch.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
So, what you did breaks down as so:
  • Smaller wheel
  • Tire with slightly smaller width but with a bigger aspect ratio, leading to an almost 10% increase in sidewall. (225 * .4) / (235 * .35) ~= 1.09422 ~= 9.4% increase
The key part is right there, the increase in sidewall. That will allow the tire to flex more when hitting bumps and potholes, which will prevent the bubbles and decrease the likelihood of a blowout, as well as damage to your rims. Low profile tires are great for looks and perhaps the track, but for daily driving they're absolutely horrible on anything but the smoothest roads. You'll notice better ride quality, too, as an added bonus.

If you want even more peace of mind, you can go up a tire width to 235/40 (popular size in these forums), which takes the sidewall increase to 14.2%. The added benefit of a 235/40 is its similarity in circumference to the stock tire, which means that the speedo and fuel economy monitors will be more accurate than with a tire more out-of-spec with relation to stock.

Code:
Specification  Sidewall  Radius  Diameter  Circumference  Revs/Mile  Difference
235/35-19         3.2in  12.7in    25.5in         80.0in        792        0.0%
225/40-18         3.5in  12.5in    25.1in         78.8in        804       -1.5%
235/40-18         3.7in  12.7in    25.4in         79.8in        794       -0.3%

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a sidewall blowout from a small lip during road construction and I approached it so the tire would hit it straight on. I also have the clearcoat issue on one stock wheel so I did the same. I'm on 235/40R18 continental DWS.

You want a 235/40R18 as shown, it is almost identical to stock. The 225/40R18 will throw off the speedo plus you lose some width and I guessing they will wear faster.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, what you did breaks down as so:
  • Smaller wheel
  • Tire with slightly smaller width but with a bigger aspect ratio, leading to an almost 10% increase in sidewall. (225 * .4) / (235 * .35) ~= 1.09422 ~= 9.4% increase
The key part is right there, the increase in sidewall. That will allow the tire to flex more when hitting bumps and potholes, which will prevent the bubbles and decrease the likelihood of a blowout, as well as damage to your rims. Low profile tires are great for looks and perhaps the track, but for daily driving they're absolutely horrible on anything but the smoothest roads. You'll notice better ride quality, too, as an added bonus.

If you want even more peace of mind, you can go up a tire width to 235/40 (popular size in these forums), which takes the sidewall increase to 14.2%. The added benefit of a 235/40 is its similarity in circumference to the stock tire, which means that the speedo and fuel economy monitors will be more accurate than with a tire more out-of-spec with relation to stock.

Code:
Specification  Sidewall  Radius  Diameter  Circumference  Revs/Mile  Difference
235/35-19         3.2in  12.7in    25.5in         80.0in        792        0.0%
225/40-18         3.5in  12.5in    25.1in         78.8in        804       -1.5%
235/40-18         3.7in  12.7in    25.4in         79.8in        794       -0.3%
Thank you for the info!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a sidewall blowout from a small lip during road construction and I approached it so the tire would hit it straight on. I also have the clearcoat issue on one stock wheel so I did the same. I'm on 235/40R18 continental DWS.

You want a 235/40R18 as shown, it is almost identical to stock. The 225/40R18 will throw off the speedo plus you lose some width and I guessing they will wear faster.
Thanks I might just stick with the 225/40 i bought for now see how they go then go for the 235 next go around to make sure im getting as much sidewall protection as possible.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
For what it's worth, I calculated the sidewall height on the Club and Grand Touring ND Miata (2016+). It's 3.6in stock, and I went to 3.8in when I got Michelin PS4S tires for it (they don't come in 205/45-17, and the 215 fit nicely while also offering some curb rash protection, which I now wish I had done before getting curb rash; doh!). I watch the Miata community closely and of any complaints, blowouts and bubbles and tire deformation are not really there all that much, if at all. So I would say the 235/40 that gets you to 3.7in sidewall is in the sweet spot for peace of mind, looks, and circumference nearly identical to OEM.

I know you've said you're going with the 225s since you ordered them already, and I'm not trying to discourage you or anything. I have a feeling you're going to be fine. Still, thought I'd add some more info from my Veloster's stable-mate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For what it's worth, I calculated the sidewall height on the Club and Grand Touring ND Miata (2016+). It's 3.6in stock, and I went to 3.8in when I got Michelin PS4S tires for it (they don't come in 205/45-17, and the 215 fit nicely while also offering some curb rash protection, which I now wish I had done before getting curb rash; doh!). I watch the Miata community closely and of any complaints, blowouts and bubbles and tire deformation are not really there all that much, if at all. So I would say the 235/40 that gets you to 3.7in sidewall is in the sweet spot for peace of mind, looks, and circumference nearly identical to OEM.

I know you've said you're going with the 225s since you ordered them already, and I'm not trying to discourage you or anything. I have a feeling you're going to be fine. Still, thought I'd add some more info from my Veloster's stable-mate.
Thank you for the reassurance haha it helps out, ill keep this forum updated once I get the 225/40s I just dont wanna pay tirerack another 200bucks to ship them back I rather take my chances for now!

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I can't see the photo you posted! Try again? What rims did you get? I have to wait for my Rial Lucca 18s to get here next month, and I'm dying to get them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't see the photo you posted! Try again? What rims did you get? I have to wait for my Rial Lucca 18s to get here next month, and I'm dying to get them.
They are just some cheap EDR9s but they look nice haha, post your rims when you get them!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts