Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealership where I bought my VN PP said that these cars are being stolen, he did not mention whether for joy riding, parts or to keep for themselves. Not sure if they were going to try and sell additional security equipment or what he was trying too do.
I could understand why people would like to get their hands on these cars, but is it a big problem. Mine is locked away at night, but do I need to be careful where I park it when I just go out any where.
I do not live in a major city, I live in a group of towns with 250,000 people and is pretty safe.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
790 Posts
It's pretty sad that jealousy leads to thievery. If I ever caught someone trying to steal my car they would be in a world of hurtin'!!! Honestly, society these days is getting ridiculous. I miss the 90's! lol....

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think they just say that to try and sell you the added stuff, I live in a neighborhood where old Honda’s would get stolen a lot, idk if I have good luck but I had a ‘99 integra and never got it stolen, all I had was an alarm and a club steering wheel lock. Also had an s2000 and never got broken into or nothing, it also helps that the cars are stick shift because the cars that were stolen near me were all automatics. Just be cautious of where you park it and make sure it’s locked and I think you should be good :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Haven’t heard anything on this but I know that if your car alarm goes off I believe the app should notify you as well

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’m not 100% positive though

·
Registered
14 Posts
In general, a manual transmission is the best anti-theft device around. Mine is now in my locked garage. My poor Genesis Coupe is outside in the driveway. I think I might buy her a cover. I stay out of the Philly, so I am not too worried.

Reactions: SD VeloN

·
Registered
121 Posts
Did the dealership follow up by trying to sell you something? Did they have figures or did they base it on assumption\anecdotes?

·
Registered
13 Posts
These cars are susceptible to theft via the "smart" key. Hackers can amplify the signal of your smart key (even if it's in your house) and can unlock the door because the car thinks the key is close in proximity. You can avoid this by using a smart-key cover/jacket.

I live in NY and this happens all the time, especially in the city.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You missed my point. Most thieves (punks) cannot drive a stick. A professional with a flatbed can and will take anything they desire. My car is garaged so I am not at all worried.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I doubt that. Might have been a one off situation that the dealer was referring to. On the other hand the wheels on my Si were gone 2 mos after I got the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A retired police officer's perspective (Baltimore area); Most car thefts are targets of opportunity. Keys left in the car, vehicles left running at home or convenience stores. You have those rare cases where people burglarize homes and steal cars from the garages or out front. It's rare, at least around Baltimore (The City that Bleeds), that you'd hear about elaborate car thefts involving flat beds or tow trucks. Motorcycles are a different animal all together though. They'll throw multiple in trucks, U-Hauls and vans... you name it. I definitely have dealt with and seen the thefts of wheels from dealerships as well has truck tailgates. LOCK EVERYTHING!

·
Super Moderator
790 Posts
Well Sir, thank you for your service and if you are a veteran a double Thank You. Salute!

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The dealer never tried to sell me any other electrical anti-theft equipment after that comment, but he did say that they usually put some stickers on all the main body panels with a number which can be tracked if stolen. He said these stickers, some extra tall drink holders and they add some clear protection film on the paint near the door handles can be fitted. The special price was $650, I told him to forget it and he said not a problem because they have not fit them yet.
Anyway when I got home I noticed that they had already put the protection film on and some of the numbered stickers (I guess they are not register with the company who tracks the parts). I guess it just a way for them to make some extra money on the deal, not sure if people just say great and pay the extra $650.
My VN is locked in the garage every night and I am retired, so the car is not left in a car part for hours each day. Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts