Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
I'm currently DD / ocasional track my 2019 Audi RS3 . I'm considering getting a VN as a fun light weekend/track (road course) car.
I'm an advance group driver that usually drive at 8/10 at the track as was wondering what are the must upgrades I need to do before taking the VN to the track and not feeling disappointed?
Besides the obvious upgrades of pads , brake fluid and tires what else is needed?

As a reference- The Audi really needed pads , brake fluid, tires, better cooling rotors , larger intercooler ( with stock the car was pulling timing after 3 laps) , rear sway bar upgrade to reduce horrible understeer.

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've tracked the N several times and can say the stock brake pads are phenomenal. Have done 20 minute sessions all out with zero brake fade. The car stock is an amazing car for track but there is always room for improvement. The biggest thing I can say is ditch the anchor of wheels that we have and ditch those stock tires, they aren't all that great. Get yourself some lightweight 18s with some sticky tires. Next get some camber bolts for the front and get yourself a proper alignment and add camber to the front (I run -1.9 F -1.7 R). Next I would get a FMIC, not sure where you are located but here in Florida, in the heat, you can really feel the N heatsoaking bad about halfway through the session, it falls flat on its face trying to power through the straights. I'm also waiting for someone to make an oil cooler for this car. It has yet to go into limp mode for me but the oil temps do get pretty high up there which is concerning. I most likely going to end up fabricating my own and seeing how that goes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Stock, you can just send it. But to really wake the car up:

• Better tires, smaller wheels
  • Larger rear bar and end links
  • Caster bushings
  • Camber bolts
  • FMIC or water/meth
Oil temps will sit around 250-260 on track (I'm in Texas), which is within tolerance of the oil used in this car. Just run a heavier weight for track use, I'm currently using 5w-40 in the summer and 5w-30 in the winter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bone stock it's good to go. The OEM pads and fluid will hold up just fine. The stock pads compared to more aggressive track pads don't have much initial bite but they are easily modulated even at temperature. If this isn't your first rodeo at the track you'll find the OEM tires a bit disappointing compared to the rest of the car but they will let you learn how the car acts/reacts.
I'm still on the OEM rubber and after the 4th track day i noticed my driver side front is starting to chunk and I can guarantee that its not due to over inflation or temperatures.
Hankook! if your listening please produce the RS4's in a 91 load rating!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've tracked the N several times and can say the stock brake pads are phenomenal. Have done 20 minute sessions all out with zero brake fade. The car stock is an amazing car for track but there is always room for improvement. The biggest thing I can say is ditch the anchor of wheels that we have and ditch those stock tires, they aren't all that great. Get yourself some lightweight 18s with some sticky tires. Next get some camber bolts for the front and get yourself a proper alignment and add camber to the front (I run -1.9 F -1.7 R). Next I would get a FMIC, not sure where you are located but here in Florida, in the heat, you can really feel the N heatsoaking bad about halfway through the session, it falls flat on its face trying to power through the straights. I'm also waiting for someone to make an oil cooler for this car. It has yet to go into limp mode for me but the oil temps do get pretty high up there which is concerning. I most likely going to end up fabricating my own and seeing how that goes.
What did you go with for 18” track wheels and tires? I’ve had my N to the track twice now and am very impressed with how the stock brakes, suspension, and cooling held up, but agree that the stock tires are the weak link. I like the idea of dropping some weight with 18” wheels plus it looks like there are some more affordable track tire options in something like a 245/40/18.
Also, did you do two sets of camber bolts to get to -1.9F? I only got -1.5 with one set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts