Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok fellas. Looking for some input. I took my 2020 VN with 30k miles to the dealer. There is a vibration and higher pitched hum happening between 45 and 55 that has been bothering me. It only happens at those speeds. I can feel it in the steering wheel and pedal and it’s more apparent when I’m cornering to the left. Dealership said my alignment was off. It was, but upon returning the car to me they overfilled the tires to 51 PSI all around. Vibration noise seems to have almost gone away. I left them like that for a bit because I wasn’t driving much. I bring my car back to the dealership to have all 4 tires replaced under warranty due to chipping clear coat. They return it with psi adjusted to factory specs and the vibration/ hum has returned. Any idea what it could? Tires are fairly new. Rims are brand spanking new. Alignment was done under 500 miles ago. No other issues and seems to disappear at high MPH.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I’d suggest you have the wheel and tire combinations, “road force balanced.” If there is a wheel out of specification, road force balancing will find it. It will also be corrected during the process.👍🇺🇸

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply @RedVN . You seem to be the VN guru around these parts. Wouldn’t a balancing issue get worse at high RPMs? How could 2 sets of wheels both be out of balance and causing the same issue at same MPH? I was wondering if the rims might be the issue because the previous owner really beat them up but with a brand new set on im just confused. I’m leaning towards suspension but I just don’t know enough to understand what would cause this issue.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Not necessarily, one wheel and tire combination out of specification can cause a harmonic vibration. Every time this has happened in the past, road force balancing straightened it out. Regular spin or precision balancing doesn’t duplicate what the weight of the car can produce. Road Force Balancing (RFB) can.

Start at the easiest first; Check each rim first for the tape balancing weights. Sometimes the don’t stay in place and are thrown off. If the tape weights are intact, next step is the RFB.

If it was a suspension issue, it would continue no matter what speed. Otherwise, it will remain constant. A CV joint falling, can cause some intermittent vibration but unless the car was constantly being launched hard, I seriously doubt it.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N PP
186 Posts
Ok fellas. Looking for some input. I took my 2020 VN with 30k miles to the dealer. There is a vibration and higher pitched hum happening between 45 and 55 that has been bothering me. It only happens at those speeds. I can feel it in the steering wheel and pedal and it’s more apparent when I’m cornering to the left. Dealership said my alignment was off. It was, but upon returning the car to me they overfilled the tires to 51 PSI all around. Vibration noise seems to have almost gone away. I left them like that for a bit because I wasn’t driving much. I bring my car back to the dealership to have all 4 tires replaced under warranty due to chipping clear coat. They return it with psi adjusted to factory specs and the vibration/ hum has returned. Any idea what it could? Tires are fairly new. Rims are brand spanking new. Alignment was done under 500 miles ago. No other issues and seems to disappear at high MPH.
I have a 2020 VN and had vibration problems right from the beginning. Took it to the dealer and they rebalanced them. Took it for a drive and the vibration was still there. Took it back and asked them if they performed a road force balance. They said no they did a traditional spin balance which should be OK. I said apparently it's not so please do a road force balance. They did a song and dance about how it could be the road, alignment, etc. I talked to the manager and he agreed that they should perform a road force balance. They would have to do some special ticket to the manufacturer in order to get it covered under warranty or so he said. Anyway, they finally did the RFB and voila, no more vibration.

Thanks Red for providing that excellent video by the way.

Bill

Reactions: RedVN

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
You're welcome!👍 That was just more tap dancing about RFB. Has nothing to do with the warranty or would affect it in anyway. They simply don’t understand and are skeptical of how it works. They don't ever like a customer telling them what needs to be done.🤣👍🇺🇸

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Following this thread since I still have vibration after road force balancing.
You stated In another thread; you added hub rings and the vibration went away. So adding the appropriate hub rings did or didn’t eliminate the vibration?
Was the RFB done before or after the hub ring additions?
Did you downsize the wheel and tire combination?
Did the vibration occur with the OEM wheels or just the aftermarket units?
Who did you purchase your aftermarket wheels from and did you speak to them about the issue?
Did you also replace the tires as well and with what tire if so?
What year is the VN, did you purchase it new or used and how many total miles?
What was the results of the wheel/tire specifications with the RFB on all four corners?
Has the VN been in an accident, pothole damage or had suspension issue that you’re aware of?

I know, allot of question but I trying to get a better picture to better advise. 👍🇺🇸

·
Registered
26 Posts
In order that you asked.

downsized to 18x8+45, 235,40,18 tires.

It helped, but after 200+ miles there is still some vibration.

RFB before the rings. Found to be perfectly balanced.

Yes, but they were bent from previous owner so I have never driven this car without vibration. I found out some wheels (OEM) were already bent because I hit a nasty pothole on one wheel and wanted them all checked anyway. No accidents. I do have slight creaking of front suspension when going into a steep driveway. But it’s not routine so it’s hard to reproduce frequently.

Fitment industries. no because I am having my mechanic look at potential culprits like tire rod, etc since the car came with vibration.

Fire hawk Indy 500s.

2020 used at 13k miles, now at 29

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Thank you for providing the information. 👍

Taking in consideration the information you provided, I believe you’re on the right track. Throw in a good 4 wheel alignment as well, if it’s not been done already. With the bent wheels, this is a pretty good indicator of a; bent crossmember, tie rod end, subframe or failing CV joint.

Doesn’t sound like anything sever or expensive.👍🇺🇸

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thank you for providing the information. 👍

Taking in consideration the information you provided, I believe you’re on the right track. Throw in a good 4 wheel alignment as well, if it’s not been done already. With the bent wheels, this is a pretty good indicator of a; bent crossmember, filing CV joint, tie rod end or subframe.

Doesn’t sound like anything sever or expensive.👍🇺🇸
Sounds good. Appreciate the feedback! Going to the shop on Wednesday so I’ll update the thread if we find anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting. I have noticed a slight creak when pulling left into driveways at low speed as well. I know the previous owner did have a blowout with one of his tires. I’m leaning towards CV joint issue. I inspected my front left just to make sure it wasn’t ripped or anything and didn’t see anything too apparent. I’ll also keep everyone updated! Have to wait until the end of the month for my appointment though.
Just signed up for Bluelink and was able to see all previous codes the car threw. Poor guy had the fuel pump and misfire codes I’ve seen on this site before. No record of service or replacement of any parts though. I wonder if he swapped out the HPFP himself. Such a bummer being 2nd owner and not knowing the whole history of the vehicle. Be well brothers. I’ll check back in when I know any info worth sharing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So I didn't end up going to the shop on Wednesday. I got royally screwed but another performance shop charging me 1000$ for short shifter, bushings, alignment, and checking the wheels via RFB (they were fine, so they didnt need to do anything). Needless to say I'm not dealing with shops for the time being and staying local to my mechanic friends when they are off work.

My car has been pulling to the left and I'm fairly certain they didn't re calibrate the steering angle sensor. I am going to wait until that's sorted before I start diagnosing the vibration.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ouch!😳

You’re probably correct about the Steering Angle Sensor. Do you have your VN lowered?

Good decision, if you're content and trust your local mechanic, stay with him.👍
Ya, ouch for sure. Had to pick my jaw off the floor as I paid...I am not lowered, just the 18 inch wheels. For sure, he did all the work on my built X6M, he's just extremely busy. So i'll update the thread sometime next week when I see him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts