Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi people … I hope everyone had a nice Christmas and New Years. Recently we got 6” of snow here in upstate NY . I’m driving a 2021 Veloster N DCT, on 245/40xr18 continental contact Viking 7 winter tires .
My overall reaction to the tires is that they provide great grip on snow/ wet roads with some slippery at the beginning when tires are cold, afterwards they’re good on dry payment . On wet/ icy or slushy roads they provide some good traction with some slip. I drove the car on slushy snow in a very incline hill about 1500 ft on about 45/ 50 degree angle and the car was going up without any problems but slow . I had the car on eLSD on normal setup . The car never spun and I had some slippery on turns.
The tires provide good cushion on bumps or raise like speed bumps. I try to push the max speed on dry pavement to 125 and after that you feel the car like oversteering on corners but it’s not, just a weird feeling 🤷🏻‍.
What are your thoughts on your winter tires setup and if you would change then to another brand ?
Sky Snow Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Snow Automotive tire Rim

Snow Vehicle Car Hood Grille

Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Snow

·
Registered
59 Posts
It really does depend on what you plan to do with a car like the VN in winter conditions. I went with XIce3 tires from previous experience on an Elantra. There are as I recall: quiet and stable for regular highway driving. I have another car I plan to use if I need to get to work and it's a blizzard outside. It is not that I don't have confidence in the tires - I just rather not drive the VN in that if I can avoid.

With all that said, and given the vast majority of my driving won't be snow like in your photos I should have gone with Nokian WRG4 tires or something similar. There are occasions where I wish I had a more sport-oriented winter tire ('cause the roads are just cold and dry) and I cannot take full advantage with the XIce3 tires.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm pleasantly surprised with my continental control contact srs 225/45-18s as this is my first year off blizzaks in about a decade. Been dealing with temps as low as -25*F and on dry pavement they're great. In squeaky cold fresh snow these actually almost resemble true winter tires. Similarly impressive on hard pack snow. On slush they're definitely a step behind a true winter tire. No actual ice yet thank God, but I'd imagine these will come up well short of the winter tires in that area if for no other reason than fewer sipes and straight cut versus jagged edges. They're only about 2,000 miles old so I'll be curious to see how traction declines over the years. Making a compromise on this so I can have dedicated set of track day tires and I have the flexibility to not drive if conditions are truly nasty. Or take the wife's 4runner.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Rubber compound is just as important as the tread pattern or sipes. Any of the major brand winter tires are going to be a 100% improvement over A/S and a 1000% improvement on the summer Pirellis.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It really does depend on what you plan to do with a car like the VN in winter conditions. I went with XIce3 tires from previous experience on an Elantra. There are as I recall: quiet and stable for regular highway driving. I have another car I plan to use if I need to get to work and it's a blizzard outside. It is not that I don't have confidence in the tires - I just rather not drive the VN in that if I can avoid.

With all that said, and given the vast majority of my driving won't be snow like in your photos I should have gone with Nokian WRG4 tires or something similar. There are occasions where I wish I had a more sport-oriented winter tire ('cause the roads are just cold and dry) and I cannot take full advantage with the XIce3 tires.
Yes I agree with you on having another car for the harsh winters. I have a 2008 Ford Expedition and i wanted to see how the Veloster handle in 6” of snow and slush . But knowing how it handle even with snow tires now I know that I won’t drive it like that and just when it’s dry, maybe raining and when they don’t throw salt . Overall I’m very happy with the Viking 7 tires on dry cold roads . Maybe next time I’ll try the Xice3 or blizzaks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you're gonna steer clear of winter precipitation in its many forms I'd get a good all season for winter spring and fall. You'll get better longevity from them and have sufficient grip and control. The Continentals I'm using are a good example but Micheline makes what I've read is an even stronger winter performer in the crossclimate2. Blizzaks and their ilk are awesome and I fully appreciate their advantages but if you don't need maximum grip in the worst circumstances it would seem that they're a waste of money and storage space. I've considered getting tire chains/cables for emergencies in the winter to go along with the control contact sport SRS I've got. They handled great today--it's January in Minnesota and other than an actual rare ice storm or feet of fresh lake effect this is as bad as winter can get. And they do just fine in the summer as well. The right all season goes a long way to minimizing how many sets of tires a purist needs to keep around.
Plant Window Snow Branch Shade

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're gonna steer clear of winter precipitation in its many forms I'd get a good all season for winter spring and fall. You'll get better longevity from them and have sufficient grip and control. The Continentals I'm using are a good example but Micheline makes what I've read is an even stronger winter performer in the crossclimate2. Blizzaks and their ilk are awesome and I fully appreciate their advantages but if you don't need maximum grip in the worst circumstances it would seem that they're a waste of money and storage spa
ce. I've considered getting tire chains/cables for emergencies in the winter to go along with the control contact sport SRS I've got. They handled great today--it's January in Minnesota and other than an actual rare ice storm or feet of fresh lake effect this is as bad as winter can get. And they do just fine in the summer as well. The right all season goes a long way to minimizing how many sets of tires a purist needs to keep around.
View attachment 7829
Thank you for your input, Will look into it .

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thank you for your input, Will look into it .
Sample size n=1 braking test 32-0mph on that hard pack seen in my photo above was 80ft. Nothing to compare it to though, sorry.

Edit: felt the experiment sucked with only one data point so I gathered more. At 25mph distance shrank to 51 feet and at 20mph it was 36 feet.

Test conditions: 0*F (zero!)
'21 Veloster N, stock suspension/brakes, 225/45-18 on motegi 5 spoke 21# wheels, flat section of street, no wind
Sky Cloud Daytime Snow Blue

Pretty linear at these speeds but I'm suspicious of the 32mph point since I was moving pretty fast for the area and conditions and didn't want to get T boned in the name of science. I suspect I jumped the braking point and may have a longer actual stop distance.
Azure Rectangle Slope Font Line

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sample size n=1 braking test 32-0mph on that hard pack seen in my photo above was 80ft. Nothing to compare it to though, sorry.

Edit: felt the experiment sucked with only one data point so I gathered more. At 25mph distance shrank to 51 feet and at 20mph it was 36 feet.
View attachment 7831
That’s good info . I’ll do a test on mine and will let you know .

·
Registered
3,423 Posts

View attachment 7831

Pretty linear at these speeds but I'm suspicious of the 32mph point since I was moving pretty fast for the area and conditions and didn't want to get T boned in the name of science. I suspect I jumped the braking point and may have a longer actual stop distance.
View attachment 7832
Wow that looks cold! Good information as well, it will definitely benefit others in the same environment.👍🇺🇸

·
Registered
20 Posts
I drove an S2000 through 12 Connecticut winters on snow tires. Doubt there's a better test candidate. If the tires can get that thing around successfully, they can get anything around. I used probably 7 different sets of tires ranging from Michelin, blizzak, hankook, sumitomo, continental.. both full Ice and snow and performance winter. Never had an issue with any of them. Never got stuck, never spun out. I think in the end a performance winter is the way to go for ordinary street driving unless you're always plowing through tons of snow on a daily basis. Stiffer sidewall and slightly better dry grip is a big improvement for daily cold driving, with only a small decrease in snow performance that I barely ever noticed. The pros outweighed the cons massively.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I suspect I jumped the braking point and may have a longer actual stop distance.
For braking under any condition, the stopping distance will increase exponentially with speed so it's always good to remember that lower speeds are inherently safer, but winter tires will give you an edge on that. Thanks for your research of sample size n=1!

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
29 Posts
Since I don't daily my VN (I work from home, done so since 2004, so not pandemic related) I threw a set of cheaper winter tires on simply so I could run out if necessary (I'll run my wife's SUV if I really need to do anything more extensive than that or playing around in the snow). Triangle PL01. Definitely on the cheaper side, but definitely seem to hold their own. I'm 100% sure a premium winter tire would grip even more, but for what they are, I've been pretty impressed with the Triangles.

While I live just north of Brampton ON, the roads are generally well kept here, and I have no significant hills to worry about, so my need for the grippiest-of-the-grippers is less than others likely. I did go out yesterday to grab coffee creamer for my wife in snowmageddon, and car performed well. Hand brakes ftw :)

Edit: also I've been driving in winter for over 20 years, and used to drive a 1984 Cutlass Supreme Brougham with low tread Tiger Paws, and never slid that car off the road or crashed it. A lot of it is just driving at 50% and leaving yourself lots of time.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
101 Posts
Ha, I am getting those Vikings on next week before I drive through the cascades and the rockes with the N. They were the only tires I can find right now. I may end up having to get chains too. I am surprised you went that fast with them. I thought their max speed rating was like 118.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ha, I am getting those Vikings on next week before I drive through the cascades and the rockes with the N. They were the only tires I can find right now. I may end up having to get chains too. I am surprised you went that fast with them. I thought their max speed rating was like 118.
yes they’re good for winter tires and it will give you the confidence to drive in snow, ice or wet a little ( on the wet side I feel it lacks a little grip ) .I have gone 135 mph max and yes it’s pushing it . I just wanted to know how fast I could go without oversteering and I it looks like 125 it’s the max . Overall I’m very happy with the car and tires setup.

what type of wheels you have and what size of tire you’re getting ?

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
101 Posts
I have my stock wheels in the garage, so just throwing some 235/35/19 stock size winters on it. Sadly I am going to have to use 15+ mm spacers to clear my brakes. Already spent a bunch on my summer wheels so not planning on buying a 3rd set for winter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts