Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost, I love my N and have truly enjoyed owning it. (That said...)

Has anyone deep dived the Nissan 400 as it compares to the N? I have been bouncing back and forth if I should take the leap when the 400 has a few serial numbers under its belt.

I know that its personal preference and what I want might not be what everyone wants, but I have come to respect the thoughts of the folks here. What is everyone else's thoughts? Maybe you will have an opinion or view that will help me make the right choice for me.

If any of my below information looks wrong, let me know.

Looking at the stock numbers the 400Z might be a stronger platform.
N :
4 banger with a (internet projected) max HP of 350 before you need to start modifying internals.
~ 3200lbs
275HP
HP to Weight = 0.0859
Torque 260ftlbs
FWD w/ ELSD

400 : (All numbers are projected)
v6 with a (internet projected from the Q60) max HP 550 before you need to start modifying internals.
~ 3500lbs
444HP
HP to Weight = 0.1268 (Thats 68% more than the N)
Torque 350ftlbs
RWD w/ MLSD

·
Registered
123 Posts
400z’s are going to be like assholes:everybody has one.
Go to car meet and tell me you don’t see 2-3 type Rs, supras, and 7 400z. I’m not saying it’s not as good of a car as ours, as it’s probably a better one albeit it is questionably heavy IMO. I drive a MT and that can get down to 3000 with some work and removal of some things.
It seems like it’s going to be a great car but I’ve driven the I6 Supra and 🥱. It’s so sterile and isolated. I wonder what the 400z’s take will be. They haven’t produced a good car for over 10+ years

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would definitely hope it's a better car in at least some ways since it's going to cost ~$10k more. They are two very different cars so I find it hard to compare them apples to apples for reasons even beyond the price difference.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
First and foremost, I love my N and have truly enjoyed owning it. (That said...)

Has anyone deep dived the Nissan 400 as it compares to the N? I have been bouncing back and forth if I should take the leap when the 400 has a few serial numbers under its belt.

I know that its personal preference and what I want might not be what everyone wants, but I have come to respect the thoughts of the folks here. What is everyone else's thoughts? Maybe you will have an opinion or view that will help me make the right choice for me.

If any of my below information looks wrong, let me know.

Looking at the stock numbers the 400Z might be a stronger platform.
N :
4 banger with a (internet projected) max HP of 350 before you need to start modifying internals.
~ 3200lbs
275HP
HP to Weight = 0.0859
Torque 260ftlbs
FWD w/ ELSD

400 : (All numbers are projected)
v6 with a (internet projected from the Q60) max HP 550 before you need to start modifying internals.
~ 3500lbs
444HP
HP to Weight = 0.1268 (Thats 68% more than the N)
Torque 350ftlbs
RWD w/ MLSD
Just curious where your getting this information on the 400Z. It’s not what Nissan advertises. Not attempting to be contentious, just wondering.😃👍🇺🇸

There is some talk about the Nismo getting the current GTR engine but this is just rumor.

·
Registered
2019 Chalk White Perf Pack - Master of breaking stuff.
145 Posts
Comparing the N to anything other than a GTI, CTR, Fiesta/Focus ST, Mazda3, etc is difficult to do. Personally, Nissan hasn't done many things right since the golden days of JDM cars in the 90's. I love the concept of Nissan getting back into "sports" cars, but I'm cautiously optimistic with how the market will respond. I would expect FAT dealer markups once it lands at dealerships. The C8 has been going for like $20k+ over MSRP. The market is nuts right now, which doesn't bode well for new buyers.

If they can deliver for the price they have talked about, it would be an attractive option for those interested in a RWD platform.

All that to say - we'll just have to see what happens!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Comparing the N to anything other than a GTI, CTR, Fiesta/Focus ST, Mazda3, etc is difficult to do. Personally, Nissan hasn't done many things right since the golden days of JDM cars in the 90's. I love the concept of Nissan getting back into "sports" cars, but I'm cautiously optimistic with how the market will respond. I would expect FAT dealer markups once it lands at dealerships. The C8 has been going for like $20k+ over MSRP. The market is nuts right now, which doesn't bode well for new buyers.

If they can deliver for the price they have talked about, it would be an attractive option for those interested in a RWD platform.

All that to say - we'll just have to see what happens!
Agreed. Hell I saw this used C8 here in San Diego on sale for $125k:

Hood Automotive tail & brake light Automotive exterior Clock Vehicle door

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N (PP) White
29 Posts
I think any new Z worth buying is going to be at least 50k. So yeah, it BETTER be the better car.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think any new Z worth buying is going to be at least 50k. So yeah, it BETTER be the better car.
Yeah we’re comparing cars that are more than ten thousand dollars over the N. At that rate you could compare the N to a rs3 it’s a slippery slope. That said the N is lacking in fuel efficiency the k5 is up on power and heavier and more fuel efficient that’s tough to comprehend. The N is severely lacking on interior fit and finish aside from the seats on 2021 and up. Again it’s a good value especially since I can still buy one under msrp but it’s not hard to beat if you’re comparing to cars with an msrp 30% higher

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just curious where your getting this information on the 400Z. It’s not what Nissan advertises. Not attempting to be contentious, just wondering.😃👍🇺🇸
No contention taken. Your question is valid as the specs are still not properly released. I used various bigger name sites like car & driver and gave a "projected" disclaimer because of it.

There is some talk about the Nismo getting the current GTR engine but this is just rumor.
How very Grand National of them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@veNom

I partially disagree with the price gap thought process. For example... I gave myself a budget that was decently over the N's price tag, but I bought it because of bang for the buck. You can have a car that cost 100K+ but drives like a Geo Metro (No Hate, I used to have one) OR a Mid 30K N that punches harder than most.

In other words, its about the performance per dollar.

·
Registered
142 Posts
No point in really comparing the N to the 400Z, it's in a different class. No point in comparing an FWD 4 banger to an RWD V6 (*in stock form). With that said, I think with the aftermarket attention the Z will probably get, it'll have all the gear to be turned into a good track weapon.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
No contention taken. Your question is valid as the specs are still not properly released. I used various bigger name sites like car & driver and gave a "projected" disclaimer because of it.

How very Grand National of them.
What do you expect, Nissan hasn’t produced a mid level performance car in N a decade or more. They been riding that horse to 💀!

We had a 370Z Nismo and it was a tire shredder (literally) and became long in the tooth with Nissans mediocre to poor service.

The GTR is another story. The mechanics who work on the have to be specialized and certified. If the deal dealership doesn’t have a certified technician, they can’t sell them.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
516 Posts
Think about this for a minute. Did the Veloster N get the Road & Track 2020 Performance Car of the Year because it was the fastest and cornered the best? No. It won it because it was the car everybody wanted to drive again. It had the best fun-factor and engagement. The VN is inexpensive, has a great warranty and is a rolling amusement park ride. Am I the fastest? Not by a long shot. Do I care? Nope. A friend of mine who owns an early NSX and an S2000 (Honda fanboi) loved driving my VN around. He was impressed with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What are you using the car for if your worried about modifying internals?

If your looking to race, I'd start with a different platform with more potential and less money. Performance per dollar I think there's better options.

I do think they are going to be somewhat rare. High starting price + dealer markups. I don't see many STIs, or 370zs in my area. They are all sort of too expensive for what you get. Everyone in my area has 5.0 Mustangs, or 6.4 Chargers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts