Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is very interesting. I want to try Superpro bushings on the motor to see if it will solve the issue (I think they have some for the top motor mount as well) before I do entire motor mounts.

I just did a quick scan of the Superpro website and didn't see anything for the N. I'd be interested in some upper MM bushings as well, so please reply back if you find anything.

EDIT: never mind :rolleyes: SuperPro Sway Bar Bush Kit for HYUNDAI VELOSTER 2011-on - FS

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just did a quick scan of the Superpro website and didn't see anything for the N. I'd be interested in some upper MM bushings as well, so please reply back if you find anything.

EDIT: never mind :rolleyes: SuperPro Sway Bar Bush Kit for HYUNDAI VELOSTER 2011-on - FS
Haha it took me a good second to locate these as well. The name of the bushings and the site are a bit..cumbersome. I think I'm definitely going to order bushings for the motor this week. However, I see no installment directions. Is it dumb for me to ask where exactly these bushings fit on the top motor mount??

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a similar experience. I installed the short shifter plate about a month ago now. In 3rd gear, the knob shakes when either decelerating or accelerating aggressively for me while in gear. I pretty much chalked it up to engine movement. I noticed the shaking when I had just the plate installed and then even after I installed the bushings inside the cabin and on top of the transmission. Without the bushings and just the plate, the knob also seemed to travel a bit in the longitudinal direction while actually in 3rd gear. After installing the bushings the movement of the knob seems to have almost all gone away but the vibration in 3rd is still there.

I first installed the plate without the bushings and I lost all my bottom gears 2,4 and 6. You could hardly feel any engagement at all. It felt like the shift knob would just slide into gear with zero feedback. I read one of the customer reviews about the plate and the buyer stated you had to buy the shifter base bushings to get feeling back. After I installed the bushings in the cabin all the engagement came back. Shortly after I did the transmission bushings. Overall it is a joy shifting now. Everything is very precise and feedback is good.

Interesting... this actually makes sense.

This is very interesting. I want to try Superpro bushings on the motor to see if it will solve the issue (I think they have some for the top motor mount as well) before I do entire motor mounts.
I also noticed a lack of feedback when shifting. The shifter base bushing solve this? And of course its the bushings that require you to tear apart your entire center console lol. Did this cause more vibrations or movement in the lever or the same?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Haha it took me a good second to locate these as well. The name of the bushings and the site are a bit..cumbersome. I think I'm definitely going to order bushings for the motor this week. However, I see no installment directions. Is it dumb for me to ask where exactly these bushings fit on the top motor mount??
Lol not just you. Also no mention of durometer hardness.

If you go this route, please keep the group posted on your progress.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I also noticed a lack of feedback when shifting. The shifter base bushing solve this? And of course its the bushings that require you to tear apart your entire center console lol. Did this cause more vibrations or movement in the lever or the same?
Yes, the shifter base bushings solved my feedback issue particularly with gears 2,4 & 6. After installing just the plate I had engagement feel for gears 1,3, and 5 but the bottom gears felt non-existent. The base bushings install resulted in less vibration in the gear knob while in gear (3rd gear). The only movement (longitudinal) that I had was when the gear knob was in 3rd gear (before the base bushing install). The base bushings all but removed the longitudinal movement of the gear knob while in 3rd under hard acceleration. The vibration under hard acceleration or engine braking (deceleration) also was reduced...but it still vibrates.

I found taking apart the center console to be very simple and straightforward. Everything easily comes apart with clips, some screws, and some bolts. I found attaching the short shifter plate and installing the transmission bushings to be much more difficult and cumbersome due to limited access to those regions of the car (very cramped spaces).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Lol not just you. Also no mention of durometer hardness.

If you go this route, please keep the group posted on your progress.
Haha will do. If I can get into contact with them and confirm that the bushings for the top motor mount are appropriate for this platform I will order and hopefully install in a week or two.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey did you remove the little rubber bumper on the shift stick itself? I believe it’s step 40 on the boomba racing installation guide for the short shift plate. I completely missed it at first and the gears felt really “mushy” and super short. At first I didn’t buy the shifter base bushings so I didn’t think it was necessary to remove the center console. After contacting boomba and rereading the instructions I found out that to complete the short shifter plate instal you have to go all the way to step 40. The little bumper was hard for me to remove because I didn’t have no sharp thin pick like tool, I had to remove it with a screw driver. But after removing it it felt Shifting felt ALOT better.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hey did you remove the little rubber bumper on the shift stick itself? I believe it’s step 40 on the boomba racing installation guide for the short shift plate. I completely missed it at first and the gears felt really “mushy” and super short. At first I didn’t buy the shifter base bushings so I didn’t think it was necessary to remove the center console. After contacting boomba and rereading the instructions I found out that to complete the short shifter plate instal you have to go all the way to step 40. The little bumper was hard for me to remove because I didn’t have no sharp thin pick like tool, I had to remove it with a screw driver. But after removing it it felt Shifting felt ALOT better.
I did not, i guess j might as well buy the damn bushings and rip my console apart lol. The car feels good but not perfect so i guess thats why.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did not, i guess j might as well buy the damn bushings and rip my console apart lol. The car feels good but not perfect so i guess thats why.
Yea trust me after removing the rubber thing on the shifter arm The the car feels ALOT better. The shifts do get a bit longer than how they are with the rubber thing on right now but the feel is much better, it’s more of a clicky feel not a mushy feel. Just make sure you remove the center console on a not so cold day or morning to prevent clips from breaking! Still be careful but it’s not that hard to do just keep track of your screws :) the rubber thing around the arm is a bit hard to remove so I recommend getting a little metal pick to be able to get a hold of it and pull it out. Let me know if you have any questions I’ll be more than happy to try and help if I can

·
Registered
260 Posts
It looks like i could reach it just by removing the shift boot but not entirely sure.
Well ill give it a quick try after work today, thanks for the info !

·
Registered
107 Posts
It looks like i could reach it just by removing the shift boot but not entirely sure.
Well ill give it a quick try after work today, thanks for the info !
Yea that’ll be nice! I didn’t try that I just went ahead and removed the center console cus after realizing that needs to be removed I was like oh well I guess I’ll buy the shifter base bushings and change them out while I’m at it, but just a heads up The rubber is pretty hard to get to, you won’t be able to pull it out with your finger you definitely need something that can slip between the rubber and the arm and after you slip it down I guess you can just use scissors to cut it but you’ll be working with little space! Let me know how it goes :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yea that’ll be nice! I didn’t try that I just went ahead and removed the center console cus after realizing that needs to be removed I was like oh well I guess I’ll buy the shifter base bushings and change them out while I’m at it, but just a heads up The rubber is pretty hard to get to, you won’t be able to pull it out with your finger you definitely need something that can slip between the rubber and the arm and after you slip it down I guess you can just use scissors to cut it but you’ll be working with little space! Let me know how it goes :)
Harbor Freight sells dental picks/sets for cheap, and I think you can score a 25% coupon for this weekend.

I'd be all over the Boomba mount if I didn't have to pull apart the interior, which IMO isn't complicated but seems like it would be easy to break a plastic clip somewhere.

·
Registered
128 Posts
On the off-chance that you haven't seen this nice step-by-step for removing and installing the upper mount:

I did happen to see this video, thanks @CHRIZ619 for the great video quality.

So I contacted GenRacer:

because Superpro has been unresponsive so far. They informed me that this bushing kit is actually still for the lower motor mount. It is for the area of the lower motor mount that attaches to the "Roll Rod Bracket" via bolt "C". Bolt C can be seen in the diagram below:

1586540869322.png

They also informed me that they installed the Superpro bushings and these Powerflex bushings onto the lower motor mount of their race car:

They could not confirm the durometer rating for the Superpro bushings but for the "performance" variant of the Powerflex bushings, it seems to be 80 which is the same rating that Boomba is using for their lower motor mount.

I think I'm going to give the Superpro and Powerflex bushing combo a try as it about $65 for the combination vs. the Boomba lower motor mount that is $190. I am most concerned with the back and forth movement of the engine in order to limit the vibration/movement of the gear knob while in 3rd gear. I am going to give this a shot before also installing a top motor mount for my VN as I am trying to keep it mostly stock "appearing" for the time being. I will be attempting to install the Superpro bushings with a vice. We will see how it goes lol.

Wheel hop has been okay for my vehicle so far. I'm coming over from a 2016 GTI that used to wheel hop like no tomorrow so this application is much better.

Great suggestion @CHRIZ619 . I also removed the rubber bumper with a screwdriver when I did my install. It was most certainly a ***** and a half to get off but it finally did with a flathead. Even with removing the rubber bumper on my car I still had a ton of vagueness in the bottom gears 2, 4, and 6 before I installed the shifter base bushings which brought engagement back.

Harbor Freight sells dental picks/sets for cheap, and I think you can score a 25% coupon for this weekend.

I'd be all over the Boomba mount if I didn't have to pull apart the interior, which IMO isn't complicated but seems like it would be easy to break a plastic clip somewhere.
The plastic clips seemed to be pretty sturdy if that gives you even a bit of reassurance haha.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did happen to see this video, thanks @CHRIZ619 for the great video quality.

So I contacted GenRacer:

because Superpro has been unresponsive so far. They informed me that this bushing kit is actually still for the lower motor mount. It is for the area of the lower motor mount that attaches to the "Roll Rod Bracket" via bolt "C". Bolt C can be seen in the diagram below:

View attachment 2539

They also informed me that they installed the Superpro bushings and these Powerflex bushings onto the lower motor mount of their race car:

They could not confirm the durometer rating for the Superpro bushings but for the "performance" variant of the Powerflex bushings, it seems to be 80 which is the same rating that Boomba is using for their lower motor mount.

I think I'm going to give the Superpro and Powerflex bushing combo a try as it about $65 for the combination vs. the Boomba lower motor mount that is $190. I am most concerned with the back and forth movement of the engine in order to limit the vibration/movement of the gear knob while in 3rd gear. I am going to give this a shot before also installing a top motor mount for my VN as I am trying to keep it mostly stock "appearing" for the time being. I will be attempting to install the Superpro bushings with a vice. We will see how it goes lol.

Wheel hop has been okay for my vehicle so far. I'm coming over from a 2016 GTI that used to wheel hop like no tomorrow so this application is much better.

Great suggestion @CHRIZ619 . I also removed the rubber bumper with a screwdriver when I did my install. It was most certainly a * and a half to get off but it finally did with a flathead. Even with removing the rubber bumper on my car I still had a ton of vagueness in the bottom gears 2, 4, and 6 before I installed the shifter base bushings which brought engagement back.

The plastic clips seemed to be pretty sturdy if that gives you even a bit of reassurance haha.
Too funny. I almost edited my initial comment to note my suspicion that the Superpro bushing appeared the same as the front bush of the rear motor mount, but I thought there was no way that could be the case.

FWIW, two weekends ago I replaced my stock RMM bushes with the yellow Powerflex bushes (and changed both the engine and trans oil), which also coincided with the end of my break-in period. First hard launch made me realize how bad the stock bushes are; IMO the 70A durometer bushes should be stock.

Torque specs and good install instructions can be found in the "dogbone" thread over on n-cars.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yea trust me after removing the rubber thing on the shifter arm The the car feels ALOT better. The shifts do get a bit longer than how they are with the rubber thing on right now but the feel is much better, it’s more of a clicky feel not a mushy feel. Just make sure you remove the center console on a not so cold day or morning to prevent clips from breaking! Still be careful but it’s not that hard to do just keep track of your screws :) the rubber thing around the arm is a bit hard to remove so I recommend getting a little metal pick to be able to get a hold of it and pull it out. Let me know if you have any questions I’ll be more than happy to try and help if I can
Definitely gunna have to take apart the dash, i cracked the boot open and couldnt see jack lol. That will keep me busy durring Sunday quarantine at least 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
260 Posts
I finally got around to removing the little bumper thing ! Dear god what a difference. I didnt buy any of their bushings and still it feels solid as hell. It is a bit longer throw than before it was removed but it feels more even. It used to feel like the 1 3 and 5 throws were longer than 2 4 and 6 so its nice to have a more symmetrical feel. I gave it a quick rip around the neighborhood and my lord, did i have a blast.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I finally got around to removing the little bumper thing ! Dear god what a difference. I didnt buy any of their bushings and still it feels solid as hell. It is a bit longer throw than before it was removed but it feels more even. It used to feel like the 1 3 and 5 throws were longer than 2 4 and 6 so its nice to have a more symmetrical feel. I gave it a quick rip around the neighborhood and my lord, did i have a blast.
Right! It feels so much better without that little rubber thing!! Well at least you got it over with already haha 👍

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Sorry we didnt chime in sooner, but glad you got it resolved!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts