Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The moment you've all been waiting for! Introducing our short shift transmission adapter for the Veloster N. This plate slips over the factory selector arm instead of replacing it like some of the competitors. This adds weight which helps to negate the added force that you see when adding a short shifter. Installs fairly easily, and while you're in there you might as well pick up our bushings too!

Get it HERE

INSTALL GUIDE PDF

INSTALLATION VIDEO

·
Registered
107 Posts
How do you like your short shifter? /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
It’s amazing! I just have once concern, I’m not sure if anyone else has this or has noticed this but ever since I put in the short shifter my gear knob moves a lot in third gear only, it’s weird because it only happens in third gear it like shakes a lot when I let of the gas when I’m stepping on the gas aggressively I don’t notice it moving but when I give it light gas it shakes a lot and when I let go of the gas it shakes a lot as well. I installed the motor mount at the same time I installed the short shifter plate and all bushings you guys offer for our cars. Not sure if it’s the plate causing this vibration of the shift knob in third gear or if it’s the motor mount or possible something else.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s amazing! I just have once concern, I’m not sure if anyone else has this or has noticed this but ever since I put in the short shifter my gear knob moves a lot in third gear only, it’s weird because it only happens in third gear it like shakes a lot when I let of the gas when I’m stepping on the gas aggressively I don’t notice it moving but when I give it light gas it shakes a lot and when I let go of the gas it shakes a lot as well. I installed the motor mount at the same time I installed the short shifter plate and all bushings you guys offer for our cars. Not sure if it’s the plate causing this vibration of the shift knob in third gear or if it’s the motor mount or possible something else.
It's nothing to be concerned about. The stiffer motor mount along with the bushings are just transferring movement into the cabin. This always happened, but before the stock mount and bushings were absorbing the movement.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks! Yea it’s nothing crazy just like little vibration but it’s weird that it’s only on third gear, but as long as it’s not ruining anything, it’s worth the sacrifice for the feels you get with the motor mount, short shifter plate and all the bushings!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Has anyone installed the shifter plate without replacing the bushings? How is it?
At first I installed the shifter plate with just the transmission bushings and not the shifter base bushings. I didn’t want to remove the center console but then I found out you had to remove the Center console if you just instal the shifter plate either way so I bought the shifter base bushings and installed them since the center console was going to be removed either way. That being said I don’t regret buying the shifter plate or all the bushings, I highly recommend this mod it really changes the car in my opinion because the shifts are much crisp And short (not sure if that makes sense lol)

·
Registered
10 Posts
At first I installed the shifter plate with just the transmission bushings and not the shifter base bushings. I didn’t want to remove the center console but then I found out you had to remove the Center console if you just instal the shifter plate either way so I bought the shifter base bushings and installed them since the center console was going to be removed either way. That being said I don’t regret buying the shifter plate or all the bushings, I highly recommend this mod it really changes the car in my opinion because the shifts are much crisp And short (not sure if that makes sense lol)
Thanks for the reply. I had heard a complaint that 1,3,5 positions were where neutral was originally. Another person liked it. I suppose it's merely a matter of getting used to the change.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did you do the install yourself? If so, how difficult was it to pull apart all the interior pieces, and how easily did everything go back together?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I had heard a complaint that 1,3,5 positions were where neutral was originally. Another person liked it. I suppose it's merely a matter of getting used to the change.
Yea it does move the shifter a bit more down, honestly kind of weird at first but once you drive it and get used to it that’s no big deal, the feel of the shifts are definitely worth it!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Did you do the install yourself? If so, how difficult was it to pull apart all the interior pieces, and how easily did everything go back together?
Yea installed it myself, the interior pieces are pretty easy to pull apart, they actually have a really good YouTube video you can follow. The hardest part for the short shifter install was screwing the plate on. With that being said you do have to remove your stock battery intake ecu and stuff but just keep track of your bolts and you can always look at boombas well written instructions or YouTube video if you get lost! I would rate it a 3 of 10 difficulty (10 being hardest) just try not to break your clips when removing the interior and keep track of all your screws and you should be good 🙂

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea it does move the shifter a bit more down, honestly kind of weird at first but once you drive it and get used to it that’s no big deal, the feel of the shifts are definitely worth it!
Yessir! The motivation behind that was to 'move' the entire shift pattern closer to the driver for a more ergonomic feel! But ya, it was weird at first!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I did not change any bushings, i just added the short shift plate, and i notice the lever move forward during acceleration in both 3rd and 5th gear. Very strange. No vibration for me as i left the stock bushings on i assume, but the gear lever moving is really weird lol

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did not change any bushings, i just added the short shift plate, and i notice the lever move forward during acceleration in both 3rd and 5th gear. Very strange. No vibration for me as i left the stock bushings on i assume, but the gear lever moving is really weird lol
Do you have the stock rear motor mount and upper motor mount?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I ask because when I first installed the short shifter plate (I installed the bushings) my shifter would shake just in third though, when letting off the gas while still In gear, I also installed the boomba rear motor mount at the same time as the short shifter plate and bushings After I installed the turbotech upper motor mount and I have no shaking in the shifter in any gear. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
I ask because when I first installed the short shifter plate (I installed the bushings) my shifter would shake just in third though, when letting off the gas while still In gear, I also installed the boomba rear motor mount at the same time as the short shifter plate and bushings After I installed the turbotech upper motor mount and I have no shaking in the shifter in any gear. :)
So the main causes is the motor movement lol i only have the purple power flex bushing, but just so happens after watching your videos and alot of information provided by RedVN, the turbo tech upper and lower motor mount are next on my shopping list :p

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a similar experience. I installed the short shifter plate about a month ago now. In 3rd gear, the knob shakes when either decelerating or accelerating aggressively for me while in gear. I pretty much chalked it up to engine movement. I noticed the shaking when I had just the plate installed and then even after I installed the bushings inside the cabin and on top of the transmission. Without the bushings and just the plate, the knob also seemed to travel a bit in the longitudinal direction while actually in 3rd gear. After installing the bushings the movement of the knob seems to have almost all gone away but the vibration in 3rd is still there.

Has anyone installed the shifter plate without replacing the bushings? How is it?
I first installed the plate without the bushings and I lost all my bottom gears 2,4 and 6. You could hardly feel any engagement at all. It felt like the shift knob would just slide into gear with zero feedback. I read one of the customer reviews about the plate and the buyer stated you had to buy the shifter base bushings to get feeling back. After I installed the bushings in the cabin all the engagement came back. Shortly after I did the transmission bushings. Overall it is a joy shifting now. Everything is very precise and feedback is good.

Yessir! The motivation behind that was to 'move' the entire shift pattern closer to the driver for a more ergonomic feel! But ya, it was weird at first!

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Interesting... this actually makes sense.

This is very interesting. I want to try Superpro bushings on the motor to see if it will solve the issue (I think they have some for the top motor mount as well) before I do entire motor mounts.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts