Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Veloster N DCT Shooting Star
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

New to the group and a new owner of a ‘22 VN Shooting Star DCT. Figured I would start a detailed thread on the Shooting Star Matte paint.

1) What is everyone’s care routine for the SS paint?

2) Has anyone gone ahead and done a stealth Paint Protection Film wrap on their SS VN and how does the finish match up (3m, xpel, etc.), or did you have to get the whole car done in PPF to make the finish all consistent?

3) Has anyone had the unfortunate experience of getting into an accident with the SS VN paint and have they been able to get just the damaged panels resprayed or was a full paint job required to make the finish consistent?

Thanks everyone, hope this leads to a great discussion!

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
600 Posts
We don't get the cool colors down in the States. For the record we are totally jealous of the Canadian-spec Veloster N's. It's all good. When my wife was shopping for a new car I put the kibosh on matte finishes only because I can detail the heck out of gloss paint but felt incompetent with matte. Do some research because the matte colors are really cool and stand-out nicely.

Welcome to the forum!!

Reactions: 613shootingstar

·
Registered
2022 DCT VN, 2005 Honda S2000
107 Posts
I dont have SS, however from what i hear, its REALLY hard to paint match this color in the case of an accident. As far as PPF goes, yes it will change how the color looks and it is advised to PPF the entire car to maintain a consistent look.

As far as detailing goes, you can wash the paint as normal, but keep in mind, if you ever decide to try and polish out scratches or whatever, it requires a totally different technique. Its actually possible to polish the matte out of the paint and turn it almost glossy if you are not careful. If you do decide to get the car detailed, i highly recommend paying the extra money to go with a detailer who specifically knows how to detail matte paint vs gloss.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey,

I am picking up my 22 Shooting Star VN at the end of Jan :)
I was planning on doing a ceramic coat followed with PPF on front bumper, fender and hood but still considering all my options.
Let me know what you end up going with and if you're happy with the results.

Where in Canada are you? I moved to Ajax recently but am from Brampton. Haven't seen many VNs on the road except in the light blue color so no clue how shooting star looks like IRL right now.
I've had a 14' CLA for 7 years now wanted to get something more fun and now I'm here (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a SS VN DCT 2022, I have XPEL Ultra, basically the full package before full package, its needed for the front for sure. Mud flaps will also help

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ok so I own a detail shop and we specialize in ppf and cc. i would recommend a full matte ppf like xpel stealth . U can also just ceramic coat it to make it easier to clean.. you can’t buff Matt paint but u can use something like a magic eraser to clean off some grim off the lower parts on the car.. as far as maintaining the paint

rinse car with high pressure
Start at the top and work down.
buy a foam cannon or use 2-3buckets with some kind of lube or soap.
I like to wash my cat with new/newish micro fibers 8-10 towels in a wash bucket .. use one towel per panel working top down. After panel is down throw towel in another bucket of just water. It might seem like a lot of steps but I promise it’s the safest way to wash a car even more so a car with matte paint ..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a SS VN DCT 2022, I have XPEL Ultra, basically the full package before full package, its needed for the front for sure. Mud flaps will also help
So by “full package before full package” do you mean the entire car? I was kind of curious how a stealth PPF would line up with the factory matte finish (if there would be a big difference or not) since it’s so much more expensive to do the whole car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So by “full package before full package” do you mean the entire car? I was kind of curious how a stealth PPF would line up with the factory matte finish (if there would be a big difference or not) since it’s so much more expensive to do the whole car
Sorry just a little confused by what you meant 😂

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey,

I am picking up my 22 Shooting Star VN at the end of Jan :)
I was planning on doing a ceramic coat followed with PPF on front bumper, fender and hood but still considering all my options.
Let me know what you end up going with and if you're happy with the results.

Where in Canada are you? I moved to Ajax recently but am from Brampton. Haven't seen many VNs on the road except in the light blue color so no clue how shooting star looks like IRL right now.
I've had a 14' CLA for 7 years now wanted to get something more fun and now I'm here (y)
That’s awesome welcome to the SS club! 👍🏼 You’re going to love the colour, in my opinion the performance blue is pretty nice but theres really no comparison to how awesome the SS matte paint looks.

I’m located in Ottawa, and it’s the same thing here. Pretty much all the VNs on the road that I’ve seen are either blue or white, I’ve only seen one other SS one in the whole city. I’ve noticed it’s definitely a headturner when driving down the road

1 - 9 of 9 Posts