Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not the LSD. So, let's get that one out of the way. :) Also, there is no "special balancing" that's required for the N. The reality is more cars are a LOT more sensitive to wheel balancing now than even 10 years ago, as they steer quicker, have a faster off-center response, AND have a generally numb feeling for the driver. I had a '78 Oldsmobile Delta 88 decades ago that had such strong/sensitive power steering and numb road feel, you wouldn't even tell that you've been compensating for the drift to the right. And with high road crowns in most places, that's what they do. It's usually when they veer left that drivers take notice and go back in for an alignment and the tech will try to compensate for the crown if the rest of the alignment and thrust angle check out.

And yes, a poor wheel balancing job will make those 4 lovely gyroscopes fight the base alignment of the car. ;-)
That does help me feel better that is is not a lurking issue. I am scheduling for next week to take it to a different shop to have it looked at. The first time at the dealer it took them 3 tries to get it right...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I suspect some of these problems are just to do with having brand new tires. The 235/35's on the VN will be quite sensitive to minor imperfections in manufacturing and by their nature sensitive to the road. They have a very short, stiff sidewall and require just shy of 37 psi. Neither of these factors will make them compliant. I would consider driving on new tires for 500 miles before making changes to geometry on a new car. If vibration is bad, get them road force balanced. I do not want to concede yet that there is anything seriously wrong with the cars in this thread; but time will tell, and I too hope to hear that these problems get resolved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Please keep us posted on what happens! Very curious on what it could it be
Update: didn't do a ride along because they (the service manager's been overseeing the customer service on my car) remembered me and verified the vibration and awful ride quality, and eliminated the tires as the culprit. I believe they're taking the half axles off and seeing what's up... my amateur guess is that the inner CV joint(s) is/are compromised given the symptoms. Parts may be coming overnight from New Jersey, but unverified. It might a day or two before i hear anything about it. Will update again when the final verdict comes in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ooo, interesting. I guess your vibration was fairly bad then. Good luck.
Yes, it has been the whole time I've owned the car. I thought it was just the tires, but I've been doing some research and given the symptoms (vibrations most prevalent at highway speeds, also during acceleration and braking), it appears that's a classic CV joint/half axle problem. My suspicion is that the car was launch controlled and tore up before I purchased from the dealer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, it has been the whole time I've owned the car. I thought it was just the tires, but I've been doing some research and given the symptoms (vibrations most prevalent at highway speeds, also during acceleration and braking), it appears that's a classic CV joint/half axle problem. My suspicion is that the car was launch controlled and tore up before I purchased from the dealer.
How many miles are on the car? I would have suspected the clutch to be a weak point before the axles and it's components.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How many miles are on the car? I would have suspected the clutch to be a weak point before the axles and it's components.
12k now over the past 10 months of ownership. I've had no issues with the clutch at all, other than an occasional stuck pedal in cold weather that has disappeared pretty much since spring. But to your point, I am ever so slightly concerned that the vibration could be a transmission issue given a couple of other stories here? IDK, but it's sad because I love the car otherwise! I really don't wanna have to switch to a Civic Si LOL

·
Registered
50 Posts
12k now over the past 10 months of ownership. I've had no issues with the clutch at all, other than an occasional stuck pedal in cold weather that has disappeared pretty much since spring. But to your point, I am ever so slightly concerned that the vibration could be a transmission issue given a couple of other stories here? IDK, but it's sad because I love the car otherwise! I really don't wanna have to switch to a Civic Si LOL
Haha, no chance of that I hope.
This all should be under warranty at least.
There are a few transmission gripes on this forum.
This is definitely an experimental car for Hyundai and a first try with this much torque going to a manual car with an e-LSD. Plenty of things for engineers to think about. maybe the clutch is a little to strong putting extra stress on everything else. It's a fine balance when you want it to be a smooth daily driver and capable of a clutch dump at 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My car pulls to the right too and has some steering wheel vibration
The only thing I have to note is I did a 2nd gear pull on shitty city streets and went over either a bump or pothole and heard a loud bang from the suspension.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another update: got the right axle replaced (under warranty), definitely drives better now. The service dept. claimed that I received the last part in the US at the time, which suggested to him that it's been a high demand part.

Also, the service manager went over my car with a fine tooth comb and found that one of the rims was bent, which is also causing another vibration.... will be replacing it as soon as I get a chance. The rims will bend "easily" just by design, which sucks and I wish I had just replaced all of them with 18s, but since I purchased a whole new set of tires, I'm just gonna ride them out for now. Also, there appears to be another vibration due to warped rotors, but that was just a guess and may need more investigation. I'll report back on how the car feels after the rim is replaced and I talk to them about the rotors.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Another update: got the right axle replaced (under warranty), definitely drives better now. The service dept. claimed that I received the last part in the US at the time, which suggested to him that it's been a high demand part.

Also, the service manager went over my car with a fine tooth comb and found that one of the rims was bent, which is also causing another vibration.... will be replacing it as soon as I get a chance. The rims will bend "easily" just by design, which sucks and I wish I had just replaced all of them with 18s, but since I purchased a whole new set of tires, I'm just gonna ride them out for now. Also, there appears to be another vibration due to warped rotors, but that was just a guess and may need more investigation. I'll report back on how the car feels after the rim is replaced and I talk to them about the rotors.

Wow, you have had a lot of issues! I suspect I may have something similar as to why my car is pulling so much to the right, and why a basic alignment hasn't resolved the issue (first time it happened). I will be taking it to a place this week for alignment and will ask to look at the suspension. If it still pulls after an alignment, I will take it to the dealer and have them look at it...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, you have had a lot of issues! I suspect I may have something similar as to why my car is pulling so much to the right, and why a basic alignment hasn't resolved the issue (first time it happened). I will be taking it to a place this week for alignment and will ask to look at the suspension. If it still pulls after an alignment, I will take it to the dealer and have them look at it...

Yeah, LMFAO... it's been a huge learning experience! But, at the very least I found a semi-competent mechanic, which is always a plus. Just sucks that 80% of the mechanics I went to address this problem couldn't find anything wrong!!!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts