Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about 3 days into ownership of new 2020 Veloster N with 9 miles, I noticed a pretty strong pull to the right. I brought the car back to the dealership for an alignment and they said the tow and camber were a bit off from the factory so they reset it, did the alignment and said it was driving straight.
The car still pulled pretty heavy to the right after that when letting go of the steering wheel, always the right no matter 25mph or 65mph always to the right. So I brought the car back and they said it was uneven tire wear. They rotated the tires, re-did the alignment, did multiple test drives and confirmed it was fixed.
As soon as I left the dealership I immediately noticed the car was still pulling to the right. It was slightly less, but obviously still there. When I let go of the steering wheel it always drifts to the right, never ever the left and never returns to center. It's enough to pull me out of my lane if I don't hold the steering down.
I have tested on every different kind of road from old to brand new pavement in 7 different cities, again, always to the right.
I thinking about starting a California Lemon Law case. Has anyone had any experience with this problem or advice on moving forward?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Honestly every single car ive ever driven no matter how old or expensive has slightly pulled to one side or the other. From escalades to accords. My N pulls a bit to the right but as long as i have a single finger on the wheel it holds a line. It might be due to the angle of the roads here. Since it rains o much every road is angled a bit to one side so the car naturally pulls a hair to that side. If its any more severe than that, then theres definitely an issue.
Check the tire pressures, and my only guess other than that is possibly an issue with the ELSD not distributing power evenly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in the same situation. I bought my car about 2 weeks ago. Took it back for an alignment. Toe was out on both fronts along with the steer ahead. Drove it home and it seemed better - not perfect but better. Over the course of the next 100 miles or so, it started drifting right again. Even in the left lane on a highway with a slight crown to the left, the car would drift into the right lane in about 5-7 seconds. I had the feeling the drift was getting progressively worse. Took it back for another alignment. This time the toe on the fronts was out again (but this time it was worse), the steer ahead was out again, and now the toe on both rears was slightly out of spec.

I already warned them that if I come back again, it will be the third repair attempt. Not sure why the first alignment wouldn't have held (the alignment tech who did both also seemed surprised) unless there was some serious suspension component issue or a frame issue. I'm hoping for the best. I've often had to go back after an alignment because an issue was only partially addressed but I've never been back for an alignment that got worse. And the car was driven on nothing but smooth roads - most of it highway. Keeping my fingers crossed that the second time was the charm.

I would definitely make them do another alignment and make sure you keep the before/after records.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd take it to a different dealership and see if they can do better. It's a new car shouldn't be pulling hard in you. A little drift fine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have two of them and don't believe I've run into this. If you take it for an alignment, they should provide "before and after" alignment values to prove they performed the work accurately. If they are unable to provide the requested proof, you may need to either go to a different dealership or contact Hyundai Corporate to determine if you need to take it somewhere yourself and have them reimburse you for the cost.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

-Sam

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have my own gear to setup all of the adjustable components of cars I’ve had for around 10 years now. And...they pull/drift to the right on most US roads in the southern/western US. The roads have a significant crown for water drainage (plus it helps slightly to keep drowsy drivers in their own direction) and as a result, have a downward slant to the right. If you can get to a very large parking lot that’s empty, see if you can go back and forth across it and have it go mostly straight, or at least pull to the left when in the opposite direction of the typical slant in large parking lots.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fauxfreshness has a good point. I am assuming these are brand new tires, if so, it may just take 250-500 miles for them to behave properly. You should definitely makes sure the tire pressure is correct also. Apart from the service department just doing a poor job, there isn't much else that seems to be an obvious culprit. Any factory defect in geometry should be countered by the alignment. Make sure they were checking camber, caster and toe for the front and rear. Not everything is adjustable but it can give you the information to start a diagnostic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So they had finally fixed the pulling issue by doing wheel balancing with a machine that simulates driving conditions by putting 600 pounds of pressure on the wheel. I just put on new aftermarket wheels and had them balanced and everything and it's back to pulling hard to the right now. Leads me to believe it's something with suspension or steering rack...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, you say that the fix for the original problem was to balance each wheel on a machine that adds load to it. These wheels are not on the car for this correct? And this balancing fixes the problem you say. So the problem is nothing to do with the car, it is the wheels. Were your aftermarket wheels balanced at the same place as your original ones?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, you say that the fix for the original problem was to balance each wheel on a machine that adds load to it. These wheels are not on the car for this correct? And this balancing fixes the problem you say. So the problem is nothing to do with the car, it is the wheels. Were your aftermarket wheels balanced at the same place as your original ones?
No they were balanced at a different shop than Hyundai Service. So you might be right, but why then does the N require this special balancing machine to drive straight. I've never had that problem with any other car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I'm assuming that they performed what is known as a Road Force Balance (RFB). I did a quick google and found these two sources to try and figure out what is going on.
Discount Tire - Road Force Balancing
Goss' Garage - Road Force Balancing
The implication from this is that RFB is great for reducing radial differences between the tire and wheel. It also suggests that a problem is noticed by vibration as opposed to veering. You have not stated that you noticed any vibration, so lets assume your wheels are radially balanced. The sources did suggest that problems are enhanced by low profile tires; the VN is definitely a culprit of that. I suspect it could be a tire problem. Did you by any chance swap the same tires from stock rims to aftermarket rims? If that is the case, I bet you have something slightly out of spec in the tires. They may just need to be driven on for a few hundred miles. Let the car and road beat out any imperfection or stiffness. Or do the RFB again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I'm assuming that they performed what is known as a Road Force Balance (RFB). I did a quick google and found these two sources to try and figure out what is going on.
Discount Tire - Road Force Balancing
Goss' Garage - Road Force Balancing
The implication from this is that RFB is great for reducing radial differences between the tire and wheel. It also suggests that a problem is noticed by vibration as opposed to veering. You have not stated that you noticed any vibration, so lets assume your wheels are radially balanced. The sources did suggest that problems are enhanced by low profile tires; the VN is definitely a culprit of that. I suspect it could be a tire problem. Did you by any chance swap the same tires from stock rims to aftermarket rims? If that is the case, I bet you have something slightly out of spec in the tires. They may just need to be driven on for a few hundred miles. Let the car and road beat out any imperfection or stiffness. Or do the RFB again.
So actually after driving a lot today, I realized it actually isn't pulling anymore. I do however now have quite a bit of shake at speeds above 70. The steering wheel doesn't shake, but I can feel strongly the wheels are. I did use the same tires on the aftermarket wheels which are a half inch wider so you are right about that. And yes it was a RFB that Hyundai finally used on the third visit to fix the pulling to the right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congratulations on fixing one of the problems. I believe it's definitely something to do with the tires. It could just be one of them. Maybe talk with Hyundai and see if they can get you a new one (or set) through Pirelli's warranty. For a brand new car I see this as a reasonable request. There could be a argument for your safety if a tire is faulty. In this case, it is not in my experience to tell you what is safe and unsafe; you will have to make that decision for yourself. It's also your time and patience if you wish to continue to pursue this problem. Best of luck and I hope you can end up satisfied.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts