Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am a long-time lurker and first-time poster on this forum.

After months of research and lurking/learning, I finally purchased a 2020 Veloster-N/PP (January 2020 build) this past May in RED and waited 3 months before my first post to get to know the car.

My delay in buying one was due to my concern about new-car startup problems (fuel injector, leaking transmission, 5th and 6th gear issues) and my apprehension about buying a Hyundai - my first.

After 3 problem-free months and lots of adolescent-driving, I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for a fun-to-drive car.

As far as future modding is concerned, my only plans are window tints - the rest of the car is near-perfect in my opinion. My only problem area is initial startup clutch/throttle action resulting in stalling out on occasion - most I have stalled a stick shift since learning to drive on a ’57 Ford.

My background:
I am a charter member of the CNA (Car Nuts Anonymous) Club.

Age of 73+ years, and have been fortunate enough to own 120+ cars in my 58 years of driving.

Here is a list of “fun cars” I have owned and loved over the years, in alphabetical order:

o Audi TT, TTS
o BMW 335i
o Chevy Camaro (2), Corvette (5)
o Datsun 2000 Roadster
o Fiat Spider, X1/9
o Ford Mustang Boss 302
o Honda Civic/SI
o Infinit G37
o Mercury Capri
o MG Midget (2), MGA, MGB
o Mazda RX7/Turbo, MazdaSpeed/3, MazdaSpeed/Miata, Miata (4)
o Mini Cooper/S
o Pontiac GTO, Fiero
o Sunbeam Tiger
o VW Karmann Ghia, Scirocco, GTI/20th Anniv,

I will no doubt be adding the Veloster-N to this list in the future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome Sonny. I'm a bit younger than you but have also had quite a few cars. I couldn't help notice some matches with your list such as the TT, G37, RX7-TT, and MS3. I've really been happy with my VN as well.

·
Super Moderator
888 Posts
Nice line-up! Welcome to the forum. Wow, a Sunbeam Tiger? That is a very COOL car!

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: matt_greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice line-up! Welcome to the forum. Wow, a Sunbeam Tiger? That is a very COOL car!

Best regards,

-Mike
Mike, I am impressed that you know about the Sunbeam Tiger...

for those of that don't, it was a 2-seater roadster (front-engine/rear drive) with a Ford V-8 (I had the 265 cu.in)... it was fast but was very loose in the rear (too much power)....

I sold it after spinning out going to work - (only damp pavement, steady throttle - then boom)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hello, and welcome!

That's an impressive list of performance vehicles! You mention the twitchy rear-end of the Tiger. I'm curious if you had any similar rear-end mishaps with the Fiero. My buddy in college had a 2nd gen MR2 and another buddy with a 2nd-gen Fiero. Both mentioned how easily the platforms would spin right 'round in just the slightest bit of moisture on the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello, and welcome!

That's an impressive list of performance vehicles! You mention the twitchy rear-end of the Tiger. I'm curious if you had any similar rear-end mishaps with the Fiero. My buddy in college had a 2nd gen MR2 and another buddy with a 2nd-gen Fiero. Both mentioned how easily the platforms would spin right 'round in just the slightest bit of moisture on the road.
Funny you would mention the Fiero...

YES I also had a spin-out with my 1st Gen Fiero... very loose rear end with anything other dry pavement... and my spin-out occurred on a corner turn besides... car was sold soon afterwards

Thanks for the welcome

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Sonny, welcome! I'm quite a bit younger than you, but I'm also a former MGB driver ('71, before those terrible bumpers later). I'm a big fan of the MGB GT, and I see this car as the modern interpretation of the same sporty 2-door hatch concept. I'm also in the Carolinas, maybe we'll see each other at a Cars and Coffee some time soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Sonny, welcome! I'm quite a bit younger than you, but I'm also a former MGB driver ('71, before those terrible bumpers later). I'm a big fan of the MGB GT, and I see this car as the modern interpretation of the same sporty 2-door hatch concept. I'm also in the Carolinas, maybe we'll see each other at a Cars and Coffee some time soon.
Hi

My MGB was also early '70's - before terrible bumpers..

Just a comment... I have fond memories of my MGB... I proudly remember running an autocross in Raleigh NC (NC State) where I beat my nemesis, a Lotus Europa, in my lowly MGB - very tight course - long turning circle of Europa worked in my favor.... with the MGB I just played-the-lean on the corners...

Regarding Cars and Coffee... I am in virus isolation because of age and medical condition - so I don't go out much... Thanks for asking

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi

My MGB was also early '70's - before terrible bumpers..

Just a comment... I have fond memories of my MGB... I proudly remember running an autocross in Raleigh NC (NC State) where I beat my nemesis, a Lotus Europa, in my lowly MGB - very tight course - long turning circle of Europa worked in my favor.... with the MGB I just played-the-lean on the corners...

Regarding Cars and Coffee... I am in virus isolation because of age and medical condition - so I don't go out much... Thanks for asking
Unfortunately for me, by the time I had the privilege of the B, it was in no condition to be pushed in an autocross. Lotus is my all-time favorite car maker, and the Lotus Europa is one of the coolest breadvans I've ever seen, always wanted one. My dream garage would certainly include a Europa JPS, an Esprit Turbo, and an Evora GT. All next to my N of course!!

·
Super Moderator
888 Posts
Ya Sonny, I am an older gent. lol.... I love the Sunbeam tiger. Reminds me of the old Ford Cobra somewhat. I bet you wish you had that now.... lol...

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya Sonny, I am an older gent. lol.... I love the Sunbeam tiger. Reminds me of the old Ford Cobra somewhat. I bet you wish you had that now.... lol...

Br,

-Mike
Mike,

Yep, I would be financially well-off today IF I still had ALL of the "now-classics" I had owned over the years.... All I needed was buckets of cash and a 30 car garage like Jay Leno...

So if I didn't sell a car then I wouldn't have been able to get another fun car and missed out on a lot of the great experiences...

However, I wish I could have held onto my 1963 and 1964 Corvettes... big big bucks today... LOL

·
Super Moderator
888 Posts
I feel the same way Sonny. A few years ago I sold a 1983 Trans Am I restored & regret getting rid of it but I would not have the N if I kept it. So I understand totally what you mean.

Best regards,

-Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts