Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought the Veloster N DCT and would like to know how to make my exhaust have louder pops and bangs (like the manual.) Downpipe? Or total exhaust swap?

·
Registered
34 Posts
From what I have read the DCT pops less, and the pops are quieter compared to the manual.

·
Registered
2020 Manual Performance Blue N, stock. PPF on front.
291 Posts
I recently bought the Veloster N DCT and would like to know how to get a better exhaust with louder pops. Downpipe? Or total exhaust swap? Also would the exhausts made for the manuals sound different because of the DCT? Thank you
The DCT exhaust is noticeably quieter than the manual.
My manual in some cases sounds like a gun shot. 👍👍🥳🤯

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I have read the DCT pops less, and the pops are quieter compared to the manual.
Happen to know any exhausts or just down pipes that will increase pops and bangs? So many to choose from. Thank you
The DCT exhaust is noticeably quieter than the manual.
My manual in some cases sounds like a gun shot. 👍👍🥳🤯
thanks! I liked the manual but wanted something more dailyable for where i live. My exhaust is nothing like the manual. I want mine to be gunshots too. Any tips for it to get similar sound?

·
Super Moderator
1,782 Posts
If you get rid of the mid pipe resonator or change to a 3" mid pipe with no resonator the pops and bangs will be louder. I have the Ark mid pipe. The mid pipe doesn't make it pop and bang more it just amplifies what pops and bangs you already have. I hope I helped you?

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you get rid of the mid pipe resonator or change to a 3" mid pipe with no resonator the pops and bangs will be louder. I have the Ark mid pipe. The mid pipe doesn't make it pop and bang more it just amplifies what pops and bangs you already have. I hope I helped you?

Best regards,

-Mike
Thank you. I’ll totally buy the ark mid pipe. Thanks for the help!✌

·
Super Moderator
1,782 Posts
You're welcome! Here to help you all.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N
61 Posts
You also need to keep in mind that the ECU likely has a different tune, and that plays a large part in how many pops and crackles you get. So changes to the exhaust will make them louder, but there's still the underlying issue of inducing them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you plan to do a downpipe in the future, I would recommend doing it first before changing anything else on the exhaust system. I say this because I removed the resonator from the midpipe (basically the same thing as purchasing the new mid pipe except 2.5: instead of 3") and it does give a slight increase in exhaust note and pops, but not that much. Then later I installed the XForce downpipe which has a high flow 100 cell cat on it. This made the exhaust quite loud. Even in normal mode I will get occasional pops and burbling. Thankfully there is no drone, but I know I would not want it any louder in normal. In N the exhaust sound level is pretty loud and the pops are twice as loud as they were with everything stock.

·
Super Moderator
1,782 Posts
I have the stock DP and the Ark mid and the pops and bangs are much louder. My DP will not be going on till March or April of 2021. I love it. Wonder how loud it will be with a new cat less velocity stacked down pipe? I guess we shall see. lol...

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you plan to do a downpipe in the future, I would recommend doing it first before changing anything else on the exhaust system. I say this because I removed the resonator from the midpipe (basically the same thing as purchasing the new mid pipe except 2.5: instead of 3") and it does give a slight increase in exhaust note and pops, but not that much. Then later I installed the XForce downpipe which has a high flow 100 cell cat on it. This made the exhaust quite loud. Even in normal mode I will get occasional pops and burbling. Thankfully there is no drone, but I know I would not want it any louder in normal. In N the exhaust sound level is pretty loud and the pops are twice as loud as they were with everything stock.
Thank you! I was thinking of buying the force downpipe. I will definetly now. Don’t want to annoy my disgruntled neighbors.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the stock DP and the Ark mid and the pops and bangs are much louder. My DP will not be going on till March or April of 2021. I love it. Wonder how loud it will be with a new cat less velocity stacked down pipe? I guess we shall see. lol...

Br,

-Mike
Mike, I am going to be finding out real soon for myself.
I have the SXTH Element hf catted dp and am looking at getting the ARK mid pipe, lol. I am hoping for much better airflow and hope that in Normal mode I don't piss off the neighbors!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Mike, I am going to be finding out real soon for myself.
I have the SXTH Element hf catted dp and am looking at getting the ARK mid pipe, lol. I am hoping for much better airflow and hope that in Normal mode I don't piss off the neighbors!
Just push it out of the drive and there's no chance!! 🤣 (y) Normal mode will be more like sport mode.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just push it out of the drive and there's no chance!! 🤣 (y) Normal mode will be more like sport mode.
:p😂😅 Well, there's already a very noisy WRX, ST and MazdaSpeed in my hood, soooo....
As long as I stay more "civil" than them I will be ok, lol.

·
Registered
291 Posts
All I can say is that the N manual exhaust note is already very loud and obnoxious right out of the box, no mods required.😜🥳🤯

·
Registered
91 Posts
All I can say is that the N manual exhaust note is already very loud and obnoxious right out of the box, no mods required.😜🥳🤯
Naaah, in Normal mode (like at first startup) it seems pretty darn civil. Sport was fun until I found customization settings for custom mode. Then after the hf catted dp it sounds like a raspy hellfire on a cold start, haha!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I personally am in love with the sound of my DCT exhaust. I guess I am just getting older but I just can't abide loud 4-pot exhausts anymore.:LOL: I like a deep and more subtle volume. Even the AWE Switchpath catback on my Focus RS is too loud for me when I have the valve open.

The tone and volume level out of my N DCT is just PERFECT in my opinion. To be honest for a stock exhaust on a car it is definitely one of the best three I have heard. I will say the DCT does not pop and bang as much from what I have seen of the manual trans N, but when it does pop it is still pretty loud.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I personally am in love with the sound of my DCT exhaust. I guess I am just getting older but I just can't abide loud 4-pot exhausts anymore.:LOL: I like a deep and more subtle volume. Even the AWE Switchpath catback on my Focus RS is too loud for me when I have the valve open.

The tone and volume level out of my N DCT is just PERFECT in my opinion. To be honest for a stock exhaust on a car it is definitely one of the best three I have heard. I will say the DCT does not pop and bang as much from what I have seen of the manual trans N, but when it does pop it is still pretty loud.
I'm glad you're happy with the stock exhaust my friend.
From what you've described you would not be content with the louder exhaust that's on the N manual.
If I accelerate hard to around 4,500 rpm and let off the gas, it sounds like a couple of shotgun blasts and I love it soooooooo much. Definitely gets the adrenaline flowing.
I don't know how anyone can find driving the Type R entertaining and exciting after driving the N.
Call me crazy but I think the exhaust note in the N really makes the car come alive.
First thing I do these days when I get into my N is to turn on the heated seats and steering wheel, and put it into N custom mode which opens up that glorious exhaust note.
Enjoy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts