Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

Veloster N: Best Front-Mount Intercooler.

17K views 70 replies 14 participants last post by  A7xogg 
#1 · (Edited)
Back again. Lookin for a well-made, bolt-on (no mods) FMIC with the largest possible surface area, and the best internals.

Thanks yall.

#2 · (Edited)
I also wanted to get your opinions on this pipe. They call it a 'boost pipe', but I thought it was a 'charge pipe'. Maybe I'm confused - it wouldn't be the 1st time. Is there a noteworthy difference in performance with this 'pipe'? If it only helps with breathing, and creating more exhaust notes - I'm definitely for that too.

#4 ·
Best is in the eye of the beholder. There are nicer ones, there are cheaper ones, but best is going to be subjective on anything. Ask any question like that to yourself and you should see what I am saying. Whats the best shotgun/ handgun/ knife/ beer/ whiskey/ piece of snatch, etc. Or as the new post section shows, FMIC, downpipe, oil, spark plugs. tire, mid-pipe, and throttle body.

That being said, I have a forge prior to them making them for the VN. the only difference was the air dam on each side had to have a little ground off. Being aluminum made it easy work with a die grinder. I like it and have had no issues with it. they eventually made a VN specific variant but its easy to make the I30N fit the NV. Later I got the boot pipe, this is the pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body, and its bigger, defiantly opened up that restriction. Being I have all the other bolt ons, its hard to notice a difference but Im sure there is something there. I need to update my build page here.....

Welcome to the club brother, enjoy the N, and looking forward to watching the build.

#5 ·
Best is in the eye of the beholder. There are nicer ones, there are cheaper ones, but best is going to be subjective on anything. Ask any question like that to yourself and you should see what I am saying. Whats the best shotgun/ handgun/ knife/ beer/ whiskey/ piece of snatch, etc. Or as the new post section shows, FMIC, downpipe, oil, spark plugs. tire, mid-pipe, and throttle body.

That being said, I have a forge prior to them making them for the VN. the only difference was the air dam on each side had to have a little ground off. Being aluminum made it easy work with a die grinder. I like it and have had no issues with it. they eventually made a VN specific variant but its easy to make the I30N fit the NV. Later I got the boot pipe, this is the pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body, and its bigger, defiantly opened up that restriction. Being I have all the other bolt ons, its hard to notice a difference but Im sure there is something there. I need to update my build page here.....

Welcome to the club brother, enjoy the N, and looking forward to watching the build.
Thanks for the input, bud. INR: 'Best'...kinda cheesy. Bah, couldn't come up with better catch word. Anyways, ya - that boost pipe looks friggin huge compared to the stock one. Gotta be some gains of some kind there. I heard the Forge FMIC got an upgrade and that it now bolts-on direct, yes? That BOV just looks like the sexx - so hawt!

#6 · (Edited)
Based upon what you get per dollar, it would be the FORGE MOTORSPORT FMIC. No other aftermarket manufacturer offers a large hot side pipe.

Their are only two that are tried and tested by the manufacturers. This is FORGE MOTORSPORT and the SXTH ELEMENT. AirTec is manufacturing China. The Wagner is comparable but isn’t made for the VN but i39N specifically.

No one has seen or utilized the Maintec unit in person.

I can speak directly to the FORGE MOTORSPORT FMIC and boost pipe construction. I worked hand in hand with FORGE MOTORSPORT in development from the beginning. In fact I still have the prototype.👍🇺🇸

#7 ·
Based upon what you get per dollar, it would be the FORGE MOTORSPORT FMIC. No other aftermarket manufacturer offers a large hot side pipe.

Their are only two that are tried and tested by the manufacturers. This is FORGE MOTORSPORT and the SXTH ELEMENT. AirTec is manufacturing China. The Wagner is comparable but isn’t made for the VN but i39N specifically.

No one has seen or utilized the Maintec unit in person.

I can speak directly to the FORGR MOTORSPORT FMIC and boost pipe construction. I worked hand in hand with FORGE MOTORSPORT in development from the beginning. In fact I still have the prototype.👍🇺🇸
Oh dayum bro, dint no that. I must've missed that on the HOBB page on the other forum. I couldn't ask for better information. Did you say the hot-side pipe is larger than the other manufacturers? Looks like Forge is the way to go. That cold-side pipe will fit like a glove with no issues. Thanks Red.

#9 ·
Never heard of those. Thanks for the tip, Mike.

Reactions: Ghost
#10 ·
Correct me, if I'm wrong. Didn't Forge recently upgrade their FMIC to be truly bolt-on? Thanks.

#11 ·
Reactions: Qrush
#12 ·
Yes Forge does have an i-cooler that is plug and play. Wagner also have a version 2 out for the Veloster N.

WAGNER TUNING Competition Gen.2 Intercooler Kit for Hyundai Veloster N 2019-2022

Here is another option if you own a manual. CSF Stepped Core Intercooler for Hyundai Veloster N 2019-21 MT Only

Best regards,

-Mike
Dint see that one, thanks Mike. Looks like the core only, but the price is reasonable too. Can get a pipe kit to go with it: AIRTEC MOTORSPORT BIG BOOST PIPE KIT FOR HYUNDAI Veloster N – SoCal Garage Works

Reactions: Ghost
#70 ·
I know this thread is old but just curious because im thinking of buying the sxth element fmic on your veloster. Did you need to put the mesh grill to make it fit or will it fit with the oem grill. Obviously you would need to replace the crash bar with the provided one but im just curious if i would need to remove the grill already on the car to make sure eveything clears

#15 ·
Thank you for the useful pics, Rem. (y)

Reactions: Rem234
#16 ·
Does anyone know if these can be made to fit the DCT, another thread seemed to indicate the only difference was the coupler on the cold side. If that's true and the core is the same why hasn't Forge or Wagmer released a kit for the DCT?

#17 ·
SXTH offers a bolt-on DCT FMIC, and is available. Forge offers a bolt-on DCT FMIC, but is out of stock atm. Wagner I'm unsure of.

Reactions: RedVN
#18 ·
Yeah I've seen the SXTH one but would prefer the Forge. The Forge one went from not existing to being out of stock, so not sure if they really have one for DCT, I've messaged them several times about it with no response.

#19 ·
Shoot a DM to RedVN. I believe he's sponsored by them (Forge). He may know.

#22 ·
I have yet to make a purchase on my FMIC - as I'm still deciding. That said, I'm likely to get a Forge. For many reasons, not the least of which being - they offer a boost pipe (Hyundai i30N/Veloster N Black Boost pipe). This will bolt-on easily and will be port-matched to the Forge FMIC. Also, this FMIC was developed by our own RedVN - a strong consideration IMHO.

#24 · (Edited)
"Out of curiosity, why the preference? I have a MT and I'm in the market for a FMIC, so I'm interested in hearing more details on choosing one over the other."

Forge claims its the biggest FMIC available for the N plus I like the skirts around the front that direct more air into the cooler. That being said I live in the SW where it gets pretty hot in Summer so I want to get this installed before then so if Forge cant come up with one that fits before then I have to go with a different one.

#26 ·
No one has been interested in providing a donor car to assist them. What I’m saying is; the i30N DCT is the basis of construction for the VN DCT minus a few minor changes.

They‘re already aware of this thru the I30N and this kit is nearing production thru the prototype phase. Once it‘s completed, it will be produced for the VN barring any other physical changes required. Someone, as I spoke of previously with a DCT, needs to step up and help them with the finalization. I don’t own a DCT and have no plans to purchase one.

I’ve worked with Forge Motorsports throughout development of VN/MT performance parts since the beginning.👍🇺🇸

#27 ·
No one has been interested in providing a donor car to assist them. What I’m saying is; the i30N DCT is the basis of construction for the VN DCT minus a few minor changes.

They‘re already aware of this thru the I30N and this kit is nearing production thru the prototype phase. Once it‘s completed, it will be produced for the VN barring any other physical changes required. Someone, as I spoke of previously with a DCT, needs to step up and help them with the finalization. I don’t own a DCT and have no plans to purchase one.

I’ve worked with Forge Motorsports throughout development of VN/MT performance parts since the beginning.👍🇺🇸
Are you talking about someone in the UK with a Veloster to help them or someone anywhere because I would be more than willing to help them out with testing but I cant even get them to respond to an inquiry about the FMIC.

#28 ·
No, they have no access to a VN. The VN wasn’t produced for their market. The I30N shares the same drivetrain with the VN and the chassis is not dissimilar in the engine compartment either.

The US Sales has no direct contact with R & D. All such correspondence needs to go thru the UK Headquarters. 👍🇺🇸

#36 ·
Yes, if you plan to keep the stock tune, also best price, and uses stock tubes so its completely plug and play if you have a manual transmission, it also makes it easy to go back to stock if you ever need warranty work.

#42 ·
The DCT automatic has the same power as the manual but the DCT is faster because it's shifts faster than a person can. The DCT slso has an NGS over boost button so it does have more power from the turbo but only 20 seconds at a time.

I don't have insta but you can DM me here.