Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought the Veloster N base model. I do not have the e-lsd and exhaust mod option on N mode/custom. But for some reason my exhaust sound exactly like the p package by default. When I step on gas and release it I hear the pop loud and clear. I don't have the option to silence it, but I dont mind cuz I freaking love it. So is that just the default exhaust sound for both base and package model? Or am I just lucky to have the popping exhaust?

·
Registered
259 Posts
If you change the engine response to normal they should stop, or at least reduce significantly. Sport may have even stopped them, I can't quite remember.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I recently bought the Veloster N base model. I do not have the e-lsd and exhaust mod option on N mode/custom. But for some reason my exhaust sound exactly like the p package by default. When I step on gas and release it I hear the pop loud and clear. I don't have the option to silence it, but I dont mind cuz I freaking love it. So is that just the default exhaust sound for both base and package model? Or am I just lucky to have the popping exhaust?

It's great isn't it? :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah, I have the base car too and it's makes all the right noises (it pops and crackles just like I like it), it's surprisingly loud while idling in my garage, I find it hard to believe that the PP car could be any louder, I love the way my car sounds!! I am not saying that there's not a difference between the two cars, I'm sure there is but I'm not clear what it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the base model too, but it was to quiet for me, so I took it to a good shop and had the muffler deleted I love the way it sounds now haha :grin:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Eco has the least pedal sensitivity and may run a little leaner. As you go up the scale in the engine setting you get increased pedal sensitivity as well as more fuel dumped on overrun resulting in more burble and "crackle" sounds but not the overall tone and volume differences the PP gets with the active exhaust. The programmed bangs don't happen until sport+ but you can get them naturally (randomly) in lower settings.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The base model is not like the PP in N mode. In sport mode they are very similar in sound.
I don't think that is completely accurate. As both the N w/ PP and w/o PP can make adjustments in N mode, but only the N w/PP can make exhaust changes. The N mode produces a sound that is indistinguishable for me between the performance option and the non-performance one. That said, since you can make exhaust changes in PP option model I'd imagine that there is a difference, but I haven't heard it yet.

The those who might be worried that the base model won't sound good, never fear, it makes the pop-pops just fine. :grin:

At the end of the day, either one is a snappy car that is a blast to drive (heck, even the R spec is a hoot, I nearly bought one), but a supercar they aren't. If I really want to go fast, I'll hop on my bike. It plays in the supercar numbers arena and costs only a fraction of the investment to get it there. If you want to track the car, or are going to run it to it's limit and make all sorts of mods, get the PP upgrade (the LSD is worth that alone). I got the non PP model simply because they had it in blue and I would had to get a different color for the PP option.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The base model does not have an active exhaust like the PP. The PP N has an upgraded active exhaust system.

From Car and Driver; While this front-wheel-drive hatchback is only available with a six-speed manual transmission, an optional Performance package turns up the heat. The upgrade increases horsepower from 250 to 275 and adds an active exhaust system, larger brakes, an electronically controlled limited-slip differential, and 19-inch wheels on specially designed Pirelli P Zero tires. There are other referenced articles and spec pages to be sure. to be sure.

The base model sounds like the PP in sport mode only.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there any diagram or pics on how this works? Is there any information on how this affects component life?
This video explains it perfectly:

For reference, I have an N with the performance pack. If I put it in N mode and lift-off near redline the pops sound like gunshots. They are seriously loud. I'd like to know what the standard exhaust sounds like in similar conditions.

I love the active exhaust, I can highway cruise and enjoy my music or live out my ricer fantasies on the twisties with a press of the thumb. :grin:

·
Registered
259 Posts
The standard exhaust sounds similar anytime the engine setting is in sport+. 3 bangs near redline, maybe 2 bangs near 5000 rpm or 1 bang if 3-4000 rpm.
The main thing the standard exhaust is lacking is the ability to get very quiet like the active exhaust can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can't find it anymore. But here is a video on youtube comparing the 2 side by side.
The base sound more raspy and the PP sounds more deep.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts