Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Just a little update; The owner who posted the original video of his install is still running without the upper radiator housing, now has a X-Force downpipe & Exhaust, intake and Forge Intercooler. Still no adverse effects. I'm finishing up compiling my logging results and comparisons with near standard trim and modified trim. These include; Velossa Tech, intercooler, ECU tune, downpipe, intake and a few other small changes. I'll elaborate on them once I'm completed with the results. Might even be adding a larger turbo and stage 3 tune.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just a little update; The owner who posted the original video of his install is still running without the upper radiator housing
Even if you could run it without the radiator housing... don't you want it to look pretty?

·
Super Moderator
881 Posts
Update: Since doing this mod I have no adverse effects on cooling with what I cut off the radiator housing. From what I can tell it takes a longer time for the engine to heat soak with this mod. Throttle response is better also. It was beyond a doubt worth it!!!

Br,

-Mike

Reactions: Taste

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
Doesn't make any difference to me. It's akin to replacing the battery with a lightweight Lithium unit or replacing wheel and tires, installing a roll cage and shoulder harnesses, installing lower springs and suspension components. It's a progression for a purpose, not a digression. If it was fully functional and required you leave it in place. If not you have the option.

Enthusiastically speaking, if you never attempt the change the obvious, it never changes into something you imagine. See it, picture it, do it! May not be everyone's cup of tea but as long as you're happy and content with it, nothing else matters.:smile:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just a little update; The owner who posted the original video of his install is still running without the upper radiator housing, now has a X-Force downpipe & Exhaust, intake and Forge Intercooler. Still no adverse effects. I'm finishing up compiling my logging results and comparisons with near standard trim and modified trim. These include; Velossa Tech, intercooler, ECU tune, downpipe, intake and a few other small changes. I'll elaborate on them once I'm completed with the results. Might even be adding a larger turbo and stage 3 tune.

They designed the car to handle extended hot lapping on a track without overheating using a lot of small tricks like that duct and the undertray to get as much air in and out of the engine bay as possible. On the street there's nowhere that you can wring a car out for 20 minutes non stop to fully heat soak everything to need the full cooling system capability. Even mountain road driving at full pace is only putting, at most, 60% of the load on the cooling system that continuously lapping a track would. That ducting might only be contributing a small amount, maybe 10% overall to the system's capabilities. It's not there for nothing though. Car makers never spend a dime they don't have to. You can be sure if it's there they tested it and determined it had to be there. It might not be enough of a detraction that you would miss it on the street no matter how hard you drove and drag racing isn't much of a load on a cooling system either (we used to fill the cooling jackets on drag engine builds with epoxy and run no cooling system at all, the only cooling being from the fuel vaporization of the methanol).

So, unless you're tracking your car it's probably fine to leave it out as you've said. I wouldn't take it out for track day use though unless someone wants to waste track time having to slow down to let the car come back out of limp mode if it overheats.

This falls in with the design ethos that gave the car extra floorpan reinforcements that are totally unneeded on street tires, but are needed when you put a set of r-comps on. It's extra capability that's there only for the most hardcore use.

Back to the snorkle/scoop though...

Has anyone logged before/after mass airflow high speed with one of these installed on a stock airbox?

This thing should be great for improving the efficiency of the turbo system for a nice bump in mass flow. I'd be willing to bet this thing on the stock airbox has better mass airflow numbers at highway speeds and above than any of the aftermarket intakes without airboxes do because it should be able to reduce the pressure drop in the inlet pipe more.

·
Super Moderator
881 Posts
Destrux,

I run the stock box with a PiperCross filter and the snorkel. I really noticed an improvement with this set-up. They say the stock box flows just like the after-marekt ones till about 4500 rpm with the stock filer. So I'd imagine the stock box flows pretty close to after-market set ups with the better filter and snorkel. At highway speeds the turbo loves this set up.. I plan in keeping this set up until one comes out with a sealed box and 4" piping so I can attach it to the Forge turbo tube. Until then, this set up works GREAT! Velossa tech has a couple articles on their website regarding flow and pressures.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Tuning the intake ,is just as important as tuning a ECU. The pressure pulse that is created by the intake is important for producing a higher CFM and positive intake pressure.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Only on NA cars, which is why they have expansion Chambers and resonators in the intake tubing. Turbo cars don't. You can stick a filter directly on the turbo inlet and it's be fine. The intake on our car is to get cold air only.

Something like this Snorkle is for looks only. There's no ram air effect in a turbo car. As for a 10 Hp gain that's claimed 🤣

·
Registered
74 Posts
Only on NA cars, which is why they have expansion Chambers and resonators in the intake tubing. Turbo cars don't. You can stick a filter directly on the turbo inlet and it's be fine. The intake on our car is to get cold air only.

Something like this Snorkle is for looks only. There's no ram air effect in a turbo car. As for a 10 Hp gain that's claimed 🤣
But wouldn't it still bring down the IAT? OR we talking about something else here?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
Respectfully I'll disagree, as this^ is utter nonsense and simply false.

I have to first ask, have you utilized a Velossa Tech Ram Air Snorkel? Obviously, you haven't by the unfounded cynicism you've demonstrated in you comments. You certainly don't understand the principle of venturis, ram air or intake tuning. Resonators are utilized in the OEM Air Intake to control pressure wave harmonics. The resonator in your intake is technically known as a Helmholtz resonator. It's used to quiet down the intake, to meet ever demanding and restrictive emission standards. Thus, the resonator helps to make the engine paradoxically quieter and run smoother in stock or standard trim.

The primary purpose of the air intake resonator is to inhibit pressure wave harmonics, which causes air pressure in the engine and restricts the amount of airflow through the RPM spectrum. Not to add more power which has been proven many times on the dynamometer. If it added more power, it would be utilized by every hotrodder and tuner alike.

Yes, the Velossa Tech snorkel will being dow IAT's. I've data logged the reduction in IAT's and improved performance at normal to higher rpm's.

All engines NA & Supercharged and Turbo alike, benefit from intake tuning with or with a resonator. (A resonator is simply a wide spot in the intake tube.)

With the Velossa Tech Snorkel, CFM and intake pulse is improved. It creates a venturi effect and better overall mass air flow for stock, on tuned cars or highly modified engines. the Velossa Tech Ram Air Snorkel feeds your current intake with higher pressure air.

With the snorkel you're able to generate higher inlet pressures which increases performance. As the VN moves through the air, the air pressure directly in front of the bumper increases with the square of speed. Increasing the inlet absolute pressure to your engine has profound effects on performance.

Increases in air mass flow, reduction in wastegate duty cycle (for turbo vehicles) and reduced inlet and charge temps are some of the benefits of running a properly designed ram inlet. Ram Air has been in existence for decades and it works. It's used on everything from motorcycles, marine engines, kart racing engines, autos, reciprocating aircraft. These are known well established principles.

Do a little research on you own regarding; venturi effects, velocity stacks, and Ram Air, you'll quickly understand why.

·
Registered
123 Posts
But wouldn't it still bring down the IAT? OR we talking about something else here?
The OEM intake is a cold air intake. It takes air from the same area as the velossa Snorkle.

·
Super Moderator
881 Posts
I KNEW Red would respond so that's why I refrained. Loved the explanation. I was skeptical at first until I said "screw it" and bought one. All I can say is that it made my car run cooler and thus takes longer to reduce power and heat soak. Makes the factory box run much more efficient. It was well worth the 143 dollars to me.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
123 Posts
I KNEW Red would respond so that's why I refrained. Loved the explanation. I was skeptical at first until I said "screw it" and bought one. All I can say is that it made my car run cooler and thus takes longer to reduce power and heat soak. Makes the factory box run much more efficient. It was well worth the 143 dollars to me.

Br,

-Mike
How much cooler? Do you have logs? When did you do the testing (time of year)?

·
Super Moderator
881 Posts
Ok, now we are gonna go by semantics huh? No I do not have logs, except what I drop in the toilet. :) Seriously, why can't we just give an honest opinion? The fact of the matter is; if you don't like it then don't buy it. Plain and simple...

If this didn't work then there wouldn't be less waste gate duty cycles. Velossa tech already did the research so why do I need to provide any proof of anything? I like my turbo working more efficient, if you don't then don't buy it. Am I wrong?

Best regards,

-Mike

81 - 100 of 116 Posts