Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

Registered
2020 Manual Performance Blue N, stock. PPF on front.
;)
For sure!!!!! I still remember bursting with laughter during my first pull after install! Literally transforms the car! 馃槑馃憣
Nice, now I have something to really look forward to.
By the way I have no complaints about either the N's straight line speed or its cornering prowess, and this is coming from someone who owned an Ariel Atom for 7 years.
The next car for this gent should definitely be an automatic of some kind.
Porsche PDK's are very quick in a straight line, and the bonus is they are also quick around corners.

Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
I have enjoyed mine, but I realize that it is not a supercar or something that is in the same ballpark. I have compared the driving experience to the top 2 VWs and subbies and I find that it is very engaging and fun to drive. I am coming from a modded Fiat 500 Abarth which is also very fun to drive, but not fast by any means. The car is not soulless like alot of it鈥檚 competition.

Registered
A review is a review. Take it for what it is, we don't have to agree. If it saves someone from buying the wrong car, then it's useful.

I took a look on the map at 'north texas', and all I see in certain area's is fields with grid roads. What a nightmare. No wonder stop light racing became a thing in the USA.

I can see where you are coming from, and see that you mismatched the car to your lifestyle and what you wanted/needed. I hope you don't lose too much money when changing cars.

Bottomline: It's a technically competent car, not a straight line car. If we are all honest, then a FWD car is not a straight line car to begin with, they are corner cars when setup correctly and embarrass 'faster' cars on a circuit or in the backroads.

Registered
So I bought mine in aug of last year and have put 23k on her since. I鈥檝e done a few roll races and a few track days so I鈥檝e learned it鈥檚 strengths and weaknesses.. so here is how I see it.. find me a faster car for under 40k ?? It鈥檚 not possible.. these little cars are great value for a quick little car.. I have a stock car with just a JB4 and I run it on e40 if I鈥檓 playing around with her and she will destroy a focus st with full bolt ons .. if u think it鈥檚 lacking in a straight line it鈥檚 cause it is but you can鈥檛 compare it to a c6z or a scat pack ( it will keep up with a scat pack to 100mph tho ) .. get a dp, tune,intake and catch can. And I promise you you will feel differently about our cars ..

Registered
;)
Nice, now I have something to really look forward to.
By the way I have no complaints about either the N's straight line speed or its cornering prowess, and this is coming from someone who owned an Ariel Atom for 7 years.
The next car for this gent should definitely be an automatic of some kind.
Porsche PDK's are very quick in a straight line, and the bonus is they are also quick around corners.
Porsche PDK....can鈥檛 go wrong with that at all 馃敟馃敟馃敟馃敟

Registered
2020 Veloster N
For sure!!!!! I still remember bursting with laughter during my first pull after install! Literally transforms the car! 馃槑馃憣
Just out of curiosity: what map are you running? I installed my JB4 a couple of weeks ago now, and can only run Map 1 because of available fuels (91 is the highest available), and while it does liven the car up a bit, I wouldn't call it drastic.

Although admittedly I don't have any bolt-on power-adders (all my mods so far have been drivability focused, like motor mounts and shifter bushings, etc), and I have heard that the JB4 is better at making the most out of power-adders vs unmodified.

Registered
I bought my Chalk White N back in August and thus far have been very underwhelmed with the car. I spent weeks watching review videos, reading reviews etc and was incredibly excited to get one. Now after having it for almost a year I realize this vehicle is exclusively for people who have twisty roads around them, or do lots of track days. This is quite possibly one of the worst straight line cars you can own. I am constantly let down by how slow this car feels. I live in North Texas and when I say every road I'm on is straight, I'm not exaggerating. The only time I get to even remotely enjoy the handling is on ramps to interstates. I know almost everyone that owns an N loves it, but I guess I'm the anomaly. When I get a chance I'll probably trade for a Scat Pack, C6Z or something else with a V8. I realize that I honestly don't care about handling at all and just want pure straight line speed.
Ya it feels slow in a straight line but I was racing a Mustang gt and was surprised I did not get gaped, I feel like it dose need a bit more power, maybe 350hp to the wheels and then it will be a rocket. But when you are in turns it comes alive.

Registered
Just out of curiosity: what map are you running? I installed my JB4 a couple of weeks ago now, and can only run Map 1 because of available fuels (91 is the highest available), and while it does liven the car up a bit, I wouldn't call it drastic.

Although admittedly I don't have any bolt-on power-adders (all my mods so far have been drivability focused, like motor mounts and shifter bushings, etc), and I have heard that the JB4 is better at making the most out of power-adders vs unmodified.
I was running Map 2, as I have 93 available in my area. Aftermarket bits: HKS M45XL Plugs, AFE Takeda Momentum CAI and a ForgeMotorsports Intercooler.

Registered
2020 Veloster N
I was running Map 2, as I have 93 available in my area. Aftermarket bits: HKS M45XL Plugs, AFE Takeda Momentum CAI and a ForgeMotorsports Intercooler.
I also have the HKS M45XL plugs, but I think those are almost considered mandatory to install the JB4. I know you can gap the factory plugs instead, but being iridium plugs, I wouldn't trust gapping them without damaging the electrode. At least not without a specialized gapping tool. I guess Map 2 just makes that big of a difference. Maybe I should look into octane boosters for when I want to go on spirited drives. I just have concerns about voiding warranty, because it's immediately obvious if you run products like Boostane, as they leave obvious orange MMT deposits.

I'm sure the intercooler helps a ton too, although my IATs aren't too bad (~100*F during spirited driving with moderate weather).

Registered
I also have the HKS M45XL plugs, but I think those are almost considered mandatory to install the JB4. I know you can gap the factory plugs instead, but being iridium plugs, I wouldn't trust gapping them without damaging the electrode. At least not without a specialized gapping tool. I guess Map 2 just makes that big of a difference. Maybe I should look into octane boosters for when I want to go on spirited drives. I just have concerns about voiding warranty, because it's immediately obvious if you run products like Boostane, as they leave obvious orange MMT deposits.

I'm sure the intercooler helps a ton too, although my IATs aren't too bad (~100*F during spirited driving with moderate weather).
Geesh, it took me some time to realize just how many people don鈥檛 have 93 available. Living on the East Coast I use to assume that 93 was widely available. Boy鈥as I wrong!.....I totally see your stance on Octane Booster, if I had to use it, I would be hesitant as well.

Registered
93/10% ethanol? Best we can get is 91/10% ethanol. I mix VP 114 Racing Fuel with 91 when I want that kick of extra hp.

Not all octane boosters are the same. Those you can purchase at auto parts stores at best raise the RM Octane rating 1 or 2 points.

VP octane booster is one of the best and it will raise the RM octane rating nearly 5 point.

Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2020 Veloster N
Expectations lead to disappointment.

If you really put your listening ears on when you were watching those reviews, 99% of them all say in some way "this car is great in the twisties and on the track, but you may find it lacking on the highway".

Either way there are slower cars: Miata, BRZ/FRS, S2000, Focus & Fiesta ST etc that are considered the same kind of car and people love them too. The Civic Type R is faster in a straight line than the manual Ns but slower than the DCT.

If you want straight line speed, you bought the wrong car. If you went into buying this car thinking it was "fast", you made that mistake. The Veloster N IS a great car and will be respected by the motoring community for years to come. The Challengers, Chargers, Mustangs, and Corvettes are just another muscle car, normal everyday stop light racers that don't require much skill to drive. Even the special editions are meh in my opinion (aside from the Mach 1, GT350, and GT500), but that is my opinion. I am glad you know what you want in a vehicle now.
Semi new corvettes are extremely good around the track and are super hard to drive鈥

Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2020 Veloster N
I'm thinking about getting a jb4, and from your comment I would assume that I will definitely be able to feel in increase in performance??
I run a jb4鈥 car is much quicker than stock. It鈥檚 the extra power the car needed in the first place. Highly recommended!

Registered
2019 Hyundai Veloster N Performance Blue Base
I'm thinking about getting a jb4, and from your comment I would assume that I will definitely be able to feel in increase in performance??
Biggest change you can make hands down and took me an hour to install

Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
I bought my Chalk White N back in August and thus far have been very underwhelmed with the car. I spent weeks watching review videos, reading reviews etc and was incredibly excited to get one. Now after having it for almost a year I realize this vehicle is exclusively for people who have twisty roads around them, or do lots of track days. This is quite possibly one of the worst straight line cars you can own. I am constantly let down by how slow this car feels. I live in North Texas and when I say every road I'm on is straight, I'm not exaggerating. The only time I get to even remotely enjoy the handling is on ramps to interstates. I know almost everyone that owns an N loves it, but I guess I'm the anomaly. When I get a chance I'll probably trade for a Scat Pack, C6Z or something else with a V8. I realize that I honestly don't care about handling at all and just want pure straight line speed.
I came from a Mustang GT (2015) after having that for years it's boring in it's own way. Everybody knows the V8 cars are fast. I do miss the V8 sounds and straight line occasionally too. If you can afford to figure out if you would like the v8 more what is stopping you. My favorite part about the Veloster N is that it dosen't stand out much. You can rip by a bunch of cars in a Hyundai grocery getter they have never heard of. I was at the dog park the other day and a guy came up to me and asked if I had the Veloster N in the parking lot and I immediately knew this dude was into cars and asked if he was the dude that had the Feista ST parked nearby me lol.

Also got a lot more crappy attention in the mustang. No I'm not doing a burnout at every stoplight. No I'm not going to race your chevy Cobalt. People were more passive aggressive around me in that car like I could be imagining this but people would like drive slower in front of me because they knew it would piss me off more or something (subaru outbacks/ prius / Karen types). Now they just assume I'm late for a PTA meeting and let me pass lmfao.

If you haven't had a V8 muscle car you should experience it before it's more difficult.

Registered
You bought a fwd turbo 4 performance hatchback car and expected to be fast in a straight line. That is your first mistake.

Bad and mis-aligned expectations will always disappoint. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
I live in North Texas so I get the whole 'wanting more power' for straight line speeds but lets be honest - where are you going to use that power - on the Tollway where you hit illegal speeds quickly in a VN or in my case - my 370z. I love Mustangs but as others have pointed out - there is one on every corner. As much as I want a 500WHP car - the truth is where would I use that type of power except for the occasional pull on the hwy - again, easy to hit illegal speeds and have your car being towed away when you get pulled over.
I get the whole being 'under the radar' with a car like the VN - it's a quick hatch that does a lot of things right. For me, my car is NA and probably can't keep up with one even though it is FBO and tuned. But I just tell myself - when I walk away from my car after parking it - I always smile and I love how balanced it feels when you take the twisties and it's decently quick for what it is. The one thing to consider is this (and most don't get it till they do it) - it's a lot more FUN to drive a SLOW car FAST than a FAST car SLOW. And if the Mustang has long gears - you'll be hitting illegal speeds in what....2nd; not a lot of fun to me. Regardless - I say get what you want and take advantage of the crazy used car market; probably won't lose much at all.

Registered
I live in North Texas so I get the whole 'wanting more power' for straight line speeds but lets be honest - where are you going to use that power - on the Tollway where you hit illegal speeds quickly in a VN or in my case - my 370z. I love Mustangs but as others have pointed out - there is one on every corner. As much as I want a 500WHP car - the truth is where would I use that type of power except for the occasional pull on the hwy - again, easy to hit illegal speeds and have your car being towed away when you get pulled over.
I get the whole being 'under the radar' with a car like the VN - it's a quick hatch that does a lot of things right. For me, my car is NA and probably can't keep up with one even though it is FBO and tuned. But I just tell myself - when I walk away from my car after parking it - I always smile and I love how balanced it feels when you take the twisties and it's decently quick for what it is. The one thing to consider is this (and most don't get it till they do it) - it's a lot more FUN to drive a SLOW car FAST than a FAST car SLOW. And if the Mustang has long gears - you'll be hitting illegal speeds in what....2nd; not a lot of fun to me. Regardless - I say get what you want and take advantage of the crazy used car market; probably won't lose much at all.
I drive almost all city and the gearing on this car makes it feel amazing in a straight line or any other type of line. If the OP actually likes the car but is referring more to straight off the line speed, he might just be better off with the DCT. Sure, the manual can be fast from a stop but not without some abuse. I totally agree about crazy HP V8's. Their place to shine is precisely where you can't do it without risking a ticket and/or jail for criminal speeding. Waste of time unless you're at the track a lot.

Registered
I drive almost all city and the gearing on this car makes it feel amazing in a straight line or any other type of line. If the OP actually likes the car but is referring more to straight off the line speed, he might just be better off with the DCT. Sure, the manual can be fast from a stop but not without some abuse. I totally agree about crazy HP V8's. Their place to shine is precisely where you can't do it without risking a ticket and/or jail for criminal speeding. Waste of time unless you're at the track a lot.
Don't get me wrong - I DO WANT a GT350 when prices come down to being reasonable or a BMW M2 Competition but it will be for that occasional pull on the hwy and the fact that it is considered a really good handling car for it's size. I don't know - the Z is a nice balance - kinda like what the GTI was to hatchbacks - it does a lot 'okay to good' but nothing 'great'. it's not a straight line speed type of car - gets eaten up easily by Mustangs and Camaros and it's not the best handling car out there and a lot of that is bc of how old the platform is; but it still puts a smile on my face and there isn't that many out there so I like the exclusiveness of this car.

I feel that way about the VN to be honest - you don't see a whole lot of them out on the road - heck i see more Honda CTRs than I do VN's and I don't necessary think that is a bad thing. This car kinda checks all the boxes if you like hatchbacks - it's small and nimble, has more than the average space bc it's a hatch and it creates a solid fun factor. There is definitely a small part of me that wants to get a Honda CTR bc I like the whole hatch/carrying more than 1 person with me along with better MPG and performance than what I have now. I just couldn't do such a thing in this current car market - so I would rather just chill and wait and compare it to the next gen along with other cars when they hit the market like the new Z as well.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts