Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Chalk White N back in August and thus far have been very underwhelmed with the car. I spent weeks watching review videos, reading reviews etc and was incredibly excited to get one. Now after having it for almost a year I realize this vehicle is exclusively for people who have twisty roads around them, or do lots of track days. This is quite possibly one of the worst straight line cars you can own. I am constantly let down by how slow this car feels. I live in North Texas and when I say every road I'm on is straight, I'm not exaggerating. The only time I get to even remotely enjoy the handling is on ramps to interstates. I know almost everyone that owns an N loves it, but I guess I'm the anomaly. When I get a chance I'll probably trade for a Scat Pack, C6Z or something else with a V8. I realize that I honestly don't care about handling at all and just want pure straight line speed.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I bought my Chalk White N back in August and thus far have been very underwhelmed with the car. I spent weeks watching review videos, reading reviews etc and was incredibly excited to get one. Now after having it for almost a year I realize this vehicle is exclusively for people who have twisty roads around them, or do lots of track days. This is quite possibly one of the worst straight line cars you can own. I am constantly let down by how slow this car feels. I live in North Texas and when I say every road I'm on is straight, I'm not exaggerating. The only time I get to even remotely enjoy the handling is on ramps to interstates. I know almost everyone that owns an N loves it, but I guess I'm the anomaly. When I get a chance I'll probably trade for a Scat Pack, C6Z or something else with a V8. I realize that I honestly don't care about handling at all and just want pure straight line speed.
Either I'm losing it or you also made this post a couple months ago? In any case I know where you're coming from. Vegas is mostly all straight line roads but I don't feel the same. My last manual car was 20 years ago though so I remembered manuals being faster compared to automatics. That's been turned on its head now. My drive home from the dealer felt like the car sounded way faster than it was. Fast forward to now and I can reasonably say a good 2/3 of that was just driver error and relearning the art. Hell, it was like 5 months into ownership before I even noticed you could get a good amount of boost in 1st gear. The biggest issue with the car feeling slow imo is the throttle sensitivity. It either drives like a regular Veloster up to a certain point or turns into a rocket. There's not much in-between. I've never even once felt like the car is slow while in motion though. The mid range power is immediate.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Veloster N Performance Blue Base
50 Posts
Get a jb4 and then come back, guaranteed to change your opinion

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
440 Posts
Thanks for your review buddy! At least now you know what you want!

-JE

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N
58 Posts
Vegas is mostly all straight line roads but I don't feel the same.
You don't take occasional drives up to Mt. Charleston or Moapa Valley? That said, I do feel for you guys. We have a lot more mountain and windy desert roads out here by Reno. Even in Reno and Sparks proper, there's quite a few roads that wind about for some quick fun.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You don't take occasional drives up to Mt. Charleston or Moapa Valley? That said, I do feel for you guys. We have a lot more mountain and windy desert roads out here by Reno. Even in Reno and Sparks proper, there's quite a few roads that wind about for some quick fun.
I actually just got back from camping on Mt. Charleston this morning lol. But we took my wife's Outlander GT for the obvious reason of more space (3 year old and a dog). That's another model that only had one within 100s of miles. 6 cylinder with paddle shifters and no crappy CVT. One of my first posts here was actually about the oil temperature hitting 250+ going up Mt Charleston in the N. Those are fun roads. My last trip up we ran into horses just standing in the street.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If I were you, I would have bought the Challenger.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I dont really understand these "reviews". It's not a con if you expected the car to be something it wasn't meant to be, imo. Of course it wont feel as fast as a 450hp pony car, its a hot hatch, it's not its vocation. It'll be faster on a road course, not a 10mile stretch of road. It's not slow, it pulls as hard as a Golf R, but its not a straight line weapon either. That much was always obvious.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Expectations lead to disappointment.

If you really put your listening ears on when you were watching those reviews, 99% of them all say in some way "this car is great in the twisties and on the track, but you may find it lacking on the highway".

Either way there are slower cars: Miata, BRZ/FRS, S2000, Focus & Fiesta ST etc that are considered the same kind of car and people love them too. The Civic Type R is faster in a straight line than the manual Ns but slower than the DCT.

If you want straight line speed, you bought the wrong car. If you went into buying this car thinking it was "fast", you made that mistake. The Veloster N IS a great car and will be respected by the motoring community for years to come. The Challengers, Chargers, Mustangs, and Corvettes are just another muscle car, normal everyday stop light racers that don't require much skill to drive. Even the special editions are meh in my opinion (aside from the Mach 1, GT350, and GT500), but that is my opinion. I am glad you know what you want in a vehicle now.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Expectations lead to disappointment.
Unrealistic expectations, are always a disappointment. Personally, I don't listen to the media hype as most of it's nonsensical. I'll always pay attention to realistic performance information. As others have stated the obvious, the VN is not a straight line car but isn't a slouch by no means.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This past weekend I took my car on the Back of the Dragon in VA. Unfortunately, my dashcam wasn't working for some reason and I wasn't able to record it. Guess that just means I have to go back in the future. I took my Stinger there last year and the Veloster was WAY more fun. The stinger is a big car and I barely got a chance to use what it's good at which is straights and slight turns. The brakes also got squishy after a few minutes into a run. The VN on the other hand felt SOLID the entire way and sounded amazing! While I agree this car does struggle with straight line speed, I still have fun because I have a manual car and get to shift through the gears myself. But that is all opinion. Have you thought about maybe adding a tune for more power? I don't think I could ever go a mainline car, Mustang, Challenger, charger. I just love how unique the VN is. I loved my Stinger too, it was the same, they are rare cars and always turned heads. Hopefully you can land on something you can enjoy!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I came from a Stinger GT as well. I think the N is way more fun to drive. For street speeds, it feels quicker to me (DCT helps). The only time I could see wanting more power would be for mountain highway driving. I do that maybe 1-2 times a year, so it doesn't make sense for my needs.
As others have stated, it's pretty clear what the N is all about, and high-speed highway driving ain't it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Isnt this the same guy who constantly talks about his former MazdaSpeed3? Am I missing something here?

you don’t accidentally buy a 2.0T car and expect it to preform in a straightaway. It was clear what this car was built for, and you know the roads that you drive on. How did this go wrong?

this is a buyers problem, and shouldn’t be a review against the car.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Isnt this the same guy who constantly talks about his former MazdaSpeed3? Am I missing something here?

you don’t accidentally buy a 2.0T car and expect it to preform in a straightaway. It was clear what this car was built for, and you know the roads that you drive on. How did this go wrong?

this is a buyers problem, and shouldn’t be a review against the car.
one of the exceptions being the accrord 2.0t. that car's straight line numbers aren't much different but the automatic shocks just about everyone with how fast it is off the line. A family sedan sleeper at stoplights.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a jb4, and from your comment I would assume that I will definitely be able to feel in increase in performance??
For sure!!!!! I still remember bursting with laughter during my first pull after install! Literally transforms the car! 😎👌

1 - 20 of 40 Posts