Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really enjoy the videos from savagegeese.

He just posted this one about Biggest Gimmicks in 2019:

He mentioned the VN twice, and also had a video clip of the drive mode screen. Both mentions were negative, as examples of the bad gimmicks. One was about the exhaust pop, the other about drive modes.

He says people will get sick of the artificial pops. And he dislikes at least the abundance of drive modes out there. I got on the video comments to say I happen to really enjoy the pops on my vehicle.

Also, whether or not he hates those pops, my understanding is they come as a natural part of the anti-lag system.

Thx,
- Joe

·
Registered
310 Posts
Either way, you can turn them off if you don't want to hear them. The adjustability and customization is one of the best parts of the N, I didn't watch the vid but probably just looking for reactions. Why would someone complain about an abundance of settings and options at your fingertips?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As a daily driver, I regularly and easily use the drive modes to flip between Normal and Custom N.

I work in the usability and UX field. KISS doesn't mean it you can't have more options. Just keep the basics simple.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting vid, thanks for the share.

Agree with some of the comments on video, but yea... The KISS principle being violated does concern me at times.

1. Digital audio engine noise... Uggghhhh; removed mine in first 3 days (it was rattling at 6k miles on car). gimmicky and dumb
2. Drive modes; I really only need 1. (shrug)... Mine goes to N-custom 99.9% of the time with same settings (everything cranked except suspension). Each their own I guess. I bought the VN; going to use it...
3. Exhaust pop IF it was "fake"; since its a outcome of unofficial anti-lag = great. Still waiting on being pulled over for modified exhaust, i know its coming.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The crackles and pops are just not from the Anti-lag system. The ECU is tuned for it. Without the proper tuning, the anti-lag system wouldn't cause it to pop and crackle by itself.

This is one bloggers opinion which doesn't hold much water. There are so many positives about the VN the odd negative make no difference. This is a YT blogger that gets paid for his blather and this is his motivation. He is not a professional driver, nor do I take anything away from his videos anything, except negativity. He's does nothing but pays lip service to his readers.

Otherwise, he's a na-sayer and doesn't daily drive any of cars he attempts to critique. A lot of his methodology is hearsay and opinionated nothing more. I don't take head to bloggers like this, as they are a dime a dozen.
After 2 years we continue to operate privately. The channel is free of sponsorship which means our focus is on quality over quantity.
And this is the way he'll remain. Most of his takes on most automobiles, are very negative. This is the world he lives in and wants others followers, to be there with him.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I love SavageGeese, but yeah - I think this just idle banter to fill up space. He loves the Supra which crackles like crazy.

But whatever. To each their own - I drive my VN in normal mode half of the time because I work odd hours and I'm not going to be the @hole that cracks and pops through residential areas at 4am, so for me the drive modes are totally indispensible.

EDIT:
I just watched the SavageGeese vid where he reviews the VN. Actually, besides the title of the video and his preferences regarding suspension, he actually praises the car through the entire 20+ minutes. I'm in agreement with the meat of what he says except for minor preference issues. To sum up what I got from his review, he basically says the VNPP isn't the greatest car ever, but it's beautiful for what it tries to do, what it can do, and what it costs. And really - he doesn't like the suspension being so stiff (which IMO is a total non-issue on the smooth Virginia roads I drive on), but I completely get that he lives in Illinois where the roads are borderline hellish. If you drive a VNPP in Chicago you're brave as heeell.

Whatever. Opinions are just that, and I think Car and Driver just had a review about how one of the BMW sport SUVs offers no preset drive modes which drives them crazy. You can't win, so whatever.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The reviewer is mixing photos of the R-Spec with the VN. It's a poor review and he needs to go drive a 1960 VW Beetle if he wants simple.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts