Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Registered
2020 Manual Performance Blue N, stock. PPF on front.
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like Hyundai is going the way Ferrari, Porsche and other sports car manufacturers have gone recently, making only or many more automatic's than manuals, diluting down the sports car experience.
On the bright side this might actually help manual N's hold their values, like it did for manual Porsche's.
I respect Honda for keeping the Type R only available in a manual.
To me a Ferrari gated shifter is a work of art, and that sound.馃憤

Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
Unfortunately, manuals are not very popular and few people can drive them. The salesman at the dealership commented that the people buying the Veloster N's were mostly "old guys" like me. The blue one they sold days earlier also went to a guy in my age group (over 60). I wanted a sporty manual before I retire. I am not interested in how the DCT can give you a faster 0 - 60 time or the "N Grin Shift". Modern automatics are pretty darned good. I want the fun and engagement. My father drove a stick until he was over 80.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately, manuals are not very popular and few people can drive them. The salesman at the dealership commented that the people buying the Veloster N's were mostly "old guys" like me. The blue one they sold days earlier also went to a guy in my age group (over 60). I wanted a sporty manual before I retire. I am not interested in how the DCT can give you a faster 0 - 60 time or the "N Grin Shift". Modern automatics are pretty darned good. I want the fun and engagement. My father drove a stick until he was over 80.
Couldn't agree with you more my friend.
In 2014 when Porsche came out with their new GT3, and only in an automatic (PDK), there was a huge uproar and backlash from the Porsche community to the point that they reintroduced the manual GT3 in the next generation.

Registered
Honestly, who cares?
At this point, if you really want a manual N, you can find them. They will be a bit harder to find, sure, but they are out there.
The whole, "lets keep N's Rare" Is just stupid. Its a Hyundai... you want more people behind the wheels of these for OEM parts availability, aftermarket support, and continued health of the brand.
These are not collectors cars. I own a 2020 N in manual, and its probably more fun than the DCT sure... its also slower. You aren't special because you know how to drive stick. sorry

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly, who cares?
At this point, if you really want a manual N, you can find them. They will be a bit harder to find, sure, but they are out there.
The whole, "lets keep N's Rare" Is just stupid. Its a Hyundai... you want more people behind the wheels of these for OEM parts availability, aftermarket support, and continued health of the brand.
These are not collectors cars. I own a 2020 N in manual, and its probably more fun than the DCT sure... its also slower. You aren't special because you know how to drive stick. sorry
I disagree, most people these days have no idea how to drive a stick, let alone drive one well, heel-toe, trail brake etc.
Driving a stick properly is a skill.

Registered
As long as they continue to offer the manual I will be happy. Not offering the increased torque on the '21 manual to match the dct is not the decision I would have hoped for but not a big deal.

Registered
I disagree, most people these days have no idea how to drive a stick, let alone drive one well, heel-toe, trail brake etc.
Driving a stick properly is a skill.
Driving stick is a lost art. Purists like ourselves are (unfortunately) from another generation. Back in the day I couldn't afford the $1K upgrade for an automatic Civic (that was a lot of money back in the 80's), so saved my money for an Alpine tape deck LOL! That said, those were the days of Senna, Mansell, and Prost. Watching footage (bad pun) of them heel and toe had me learn that technique (though I'm now spoiled by rev-matching). To each their own IMO. My V-N is the first stick I've had in 15 years and it feels like going back home. Driving stick is nostalgic for me anyway....it is a skill for sure...and I may add these days an anti-theft device!!!

Registered
New here and this is my first post. Just turned 52 (yesterday) and I鈥檓 a Brit, living in BC. Went and tested the DCT yesterday and drove there in my 2018 civic Si. Coming from the UK, I鈥檓 a manual gear head, and driving the Si for the last two years has been a real treat. Having said that, I absolutely loved the DCT and I can totally see the benefits of using this car in the Vancouver traffic while still having wicked fun when driving out on the sea to sky. I think it鈥檚 a good all rounder, I love a manual, love my Si but I really feel that I may be swapping it for the DST very soon indeed. Thoughts馃
Mike

Registered
New here and this is my first post. Just turned 52 (yesterday) and I鈥檓 a Brit, living in BC. Went and tested the DCT yesterday and drove there in my 2018 civic Si. Coming from the UK, I鈥檓 a manual gear head, and driving the Si for the last two years has been a real treat. Having said that, I absolutely loved the DCT and I can totally see the benefits of using this car in the Vancouver traffic while still having wicked fun when driving out on the sea to sky. I think it鈥檚 a good all rounder, I love a manual, love my Si but I really feel that I may be swapping it for the DST very soon indeed. Thoughts馃
Mike
Welcome aboard Desire 68! I am also a transplanted Brit (from Birmingham, specifically) from many moons ago now living in Vancouver (similar age). I will admit I never saw an automatic transmission until I moved to Canada. My dad (huge F1 fan) was adamant that I drove manual and so I did until 15 years ago. The Veloster is my mid-life crisis car (can't afford a Porsche or my dream car - 1968 Camaro RS/SS), so this is it and I was damned if I was getting another automatic. I picked up my Veloster and without any second guessing I drove the car off the lot as if I never stopped driving manual. Vancouver, like all cities has it's fair share of traffic but so far so good (though we are in Covid times), but crawling in traffic is not an issue...slowly let off the clutch and the car will roll without having to use the accelerator. Very good feature in traffic, thanks Mr. Bierman! If I was to do it again would I pick a manual over the DCT? Yes!! But that's because the manual gives me a sense of nostalgia and reminds me of my dad. That said, "Up the Villa!"

Registered
Welcome aboard Desire 68! I am also a transplanted Brit (from Birmingham, specifically) from many moons ago now living in Vancouver (similar age). I will admit I never saw an automatic transmission until I moved to Canada. My dad (huge F1 fan) was adamant that I drove manual and so I did until 15 years ago. The Veloster is my mid-life crisis car (can't afford a Porsche or my dream car - 1968 Camaro RS/SS), so this is it and I was damned if I was getting another automatic. I picked up my Veloster and without any second guessing I drove the car off the lot as if I never stopped driving manual. Vancouver, like all cities has it's fair share of traffic but so far so good (though we are in Covid times), but crawling in traffic is not an issue...slowly let off the clutch and the car will roll without having to use the accelerator. Very good feature in traffic, thanks Mr. Bierman! If I was to do it again would I pick a manual over the DCT? Yes!! But that's because the manual gives me a sense of nostalgia and reminds me of my dad. That said, "Up the Villa!"
Nice one, Joseph.
You said all that, and all I saw was 鈥淯p the Villa鈥 lol. 鈥淯p the Gunners mate鈥 馃槈
I hear what you are saying though. Being a manual die hard has left me conflicted a little, but I test drove this Red DCT on Monday in MapleRidge and man, going home in the Si was a little sad. I drive out to UBC from MapleRidge as the University is one of my major accounts and man, that drive can be brutal in traffic. The Si 6spd is not too bad either but as I mentioned, driving the DCT put a smile on my face that hasn鈥檛 been there for a while. Oh and 鈥渕id life crisis鈥 is overrated lol. Cheers.
Mike

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike
"Thoughts"...go test drive the manual and then make your decision.
Just a heads up, if you like the pops and bangs of the active exhaust, the manual brings a much louder, much more pronounced
exhaust note.
With some bangs so loud they make me giggle.
It was easier for me to buy any manual car for that matter, because I already had a very practical, comfortable, extremely fuel efficient, somewhat luxurious, great in traffic automatic... my VW Highline TDI Sportwagen.
I can see buying the DCT if the N was my only vehicle, and I had to commute daily in heavy, bumper to bumper traffic.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Desire 68 and S. Joseph, since you both live in BC, Vanvouver area can you let me know if you have any really good driving roads over there.
I lived in southern California for a while and have to say that if you own a sports car, California is driving nirvana.馃槑
Currently living in southern Ontario where there are Zero good driving roads, everything is basically flat and straight.馃槹
I plan on moving out to BC (lower mainland) in the next couple years and I'm hoping to discover some nice roads.

Registered
"Thoughts"...go test drive the manual and then make your decision.
Just a heads up, if you like the pops and bangs of the active exhaust, the manual brings a much louder, much more pronounced
exhaust note.
With some bangs so loud they make me giggle.
It was easier for me to buy any manual car for that matter, because I already had a very practical, comfortable, extremely fuel efficient, somewhat luxurious, great in traffic automatic... my VW Highline TDI Sportwagen.
I can see buying the DCT if the N was my only vehicle, and I had to commute daily in heavy, bumper to bumper traffic.
Agreed, here鈥檚 the thing, the dealership doesn鈥檛 have a manual to try because if they did, I would have done a back to back on the same day.
I do drive in traffic a lot but not daily as I work from home and only go into the office once or twice a week. Apart from that, I visit accounts and that can be anywhere from just down to Coquitlam, to taking the ferry to Campbell River. My wife has the Tucson as our family ride but she commutes daily so the Veloster n really would be my only ride during the week. It鈥檚 a hard one as I love both manual and DCT for different reasons. I need to make the right choice from the get go though, as I don鈥檛 want the messing around of changing the car if it鈥檚 wrong for me. TBH either one will be great and the sound of either makes me grin from ear to ear.
Mike

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agreed, here鈥檚 the thing, the dealership doesn鈥檛 have a manual to try because if they did, I would have done a back to back on the same day.
I do drive in traffic a lot but not daily as I work from home and only go into the office once or twice a week. Apart from that, I visit accounts and that can be anywhere from just down to Coquitlam, to taking the ferry to Campbell River. My wife has the Tucson as our family ride but she commutes daily so the Veloster n really would be my only ride during the week. It鈥檚 a hard one as I love both manual and DCT for different reasons. I need to make the right choice from the get go though, as I don鈥檛 want the messing around of changing the car if it鈥檚 wrong for me. TBH either one will be great and the sound of either makes me grin from ear to ear.
Mike
Mike, I was in your same boat when I test drove both a manual and DSG VW Golf GTI 5 years ago.
Sure the DSG was quicker, but in the end I went with the manual for the driver involvement and engagement.
I had a very short test drive of the N DCT and it was good, way better than the GTI DSG, but I just had more fun in the manual N.
I was lucky and was able to score a 2020 N at dealer cost $34,700 where if I was to go with the 2021automatic N it was substantially more at around $42,000.
If you decide on a manual N your best bet is in finding a 2020 and negotiating.
You can't go wrong with whatever N you choose.
By the way I did also test drive a Type-R and it just didn't do it for me, wasn't as fun to drive as the N.
Good luck.

Registered
Mike, I was in your same boat when I test drove both a manual and DSG VW Golf GTI 5 years ago.
Sure the DSG was quicker, but in the end I went with the manual for the driver involvement and engagement.
I had a very short test drive of the N DCT and it was good, way better than the GTI DSG, but I just had more fun in the manual N.
I was lucky and was able to score a 2020 N at dealer cost $34,700 where if I was to go with the 2021automatic N it was substantially more at around $42,000.
If you decide on a manual N your best bet is in finding a 2020 and negotiating.
You can't go wrong with whatever N you choose.
By the way I did also test drive a Type-R and it just didn't do it for me, wasn't as fun to drive as the N.
Good luck.
I was actually planning on getting the type-r later while being satisfied with driving the Si. I really like the interior of the 2021 DST so if I was to get a manual, it would need to be a 2021 as I think they both have the new interior 鈥減lease correct me if I鈥檓 wrong鈥
The manual 2021 in black would be a winner for me, but the DST moved me in a way that I haven鈥檛 felt since my Mk1 Golf GTi days.
Mike

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was actually planning on getting the type-r later while being satisfied with driving the Si. I really like the interior of the 2021 DST so if I was to get a manual, it would need to be a 2021 as I think they both have the new interior 鈥減lease correct me if I鈥檓 wrong鈥
The manual 2021 in black would be a winner for me, but the DST moved me in a way that I haven鈥檛 felt since my Mk1 Golf GTi days.
Mike
Mike, I take it you've owned black cars in the past, and don't mind the ultra high maintenance?
I've only owned one black car in my life, a 1991 Acura NSX, and after that experience I vowed never again.
I would wash and wax the NSX in the morning, park it in the garage and 3 hours later when I went out for a drive it would be noticeably dusty, plus the swirl marks always drove me crazy.
People who own black cars have to really, really enjoy washing and detailing their cars.
Now I only buy car colors with the least maintenance required....silver being the best.
Happy washing my friend.
Oh, you are correct all the 2021's come with the upgraded interior, really the way Hyundai should have done it from the start.
If I ever run into a crashed 2021+ N I'd like to swap out the seats to my car.

Registered
Mike, I take it you've owned black cars in the past, and don't mind the ultra high maintenance?
I've only owned one black car in my life, a 1991 Acura NSX, and after that experience I vowed never again.
I would wash and wax the NSX in the morning, park it in the garage and 3 hours later when I went out for a drive it would be noticeably dusty, plus the swirl marks always drove me crazy.
People who own black cars have to really, really enjoy washing and detailing their cars.
Now I only buy car colors with the least maintenance required....silver being the best.
Happy washing my friend.
Totally. The current Tucson is black and I鈥檝e owned several black cars over the years.
your right when you say that you have to love washing your car to own a black car, yep, that would be me. Back in my VW days I entered and won concourse de elegance for my cars. I just love to keep them clean and find cleaning them by hand to be quite therapeutic. I can quite easily lose an entire day to cleaning.
Mike

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Totally. The current Tucson is black and I鈥檝e owned several black cars over the years.
your right when you say that you have to love washing your car to own a black car, yep, that would be me. Back in my VW days I entered and won concourse de elegance for my cars. I just love to keep them clean and find cleaning them by hand to be quite therapeutic. I can quite easily lose an entire day to cleaning.
Mike
Well Mike, if I end up moving your way, I'd be more than happy to drop off my Performance Blue N to you for some much needed TLC, with the bonus of improving your mood.
馃憤馃憤 LOL
Let us know when you make your decision.

Registered
Well Mike, if I end up moving your way, I'd be more than happy to drop off my Performance Blue N to you for some much needed TLC, with the bonus of improving your mood.
馃憤馃憤 LOL
Let us know when you make your decision.
You鈥檙e more than welcome any time man. News just in though. The dealership rejected my offer. I just don鈥檛 want to pay hand over fist what I鈥檓 paying right now for the Si. I guess I鈥檒l wait until summer, or when I get asked to upgrade from my SI to the type-r at my next service which is due any day now.
Mike

1 - 20 of 42 Posts