Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was gonna propose going to a performance shop, since all they do is deal with non-conventionnal stuff they might be more willing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My son called the local performance shop (deals heavily in Dodge, Chevy, etc.) We couldn't get them to even return a phone call. Same place thumbed their nose at me when I had my BMW 135is and wanted to get it on the Dyno giving me the old "We don't work on BMWs" crap. They wanted to charge almost $300 for 3 pulls (I'm sure the good old boys club probably pays $150.)

-Sam

·
Registered
417 Posts
You need a tuner shop, something that specializes in Asian market cars.

The performance shops that do not deal with them, do not want to.

·
Registered
158 Posts
UPDATE:

Original shop stated that service repair manual only allowed full removal of engine to replace turbo stud that was stuck. They tried removing it prior and snapped the stud off at the base in the turbo. Quoted about $2200-$2600 for the repair.

My son had the car towed to another shop that had very good reviews in our town. The shop kept it for a couple days and was eventually able to remove the snapped off stud, heli-coil it, and put in new ARP studs that I bought online. Total came out to about $400 something.

Thank God!

-Sam

·
Registered
2020 RR PP
83 Posts
That's awesome! So glad you didn't get shafted on that fix. When you said over $2k my heart sank and I just felt so bad. Thank goodness for good shops and persistence

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
UPDATE:

Original shop stated that manual only allowed full removal of engine to replace turbo stud that was stuck. They tried removing it prior and snapped the stud off at the base in the turbo. Quoted about $2200-$2600 for the repair.

My son had the car towed to another shop that had very good reviews in our town. The shop kept it for a couple days and was eventually able to remove the snapped off stud, heli-coil it, and put in new ARP studs that I bought online. Total came out to about $400 something.

Thank God!

-Sam
It pays to ask and shop around, always!:)(y)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts