Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen people say that if you use SXTH's spare ECU that should you need dealer work you swap back to stock ECU/parts and they'll never know you were tuned. How true is this? I was always under the impression that mileage stays with an ECU. So if I were to put a SXTH ECU on at 5k then need warranty work at 40k my stock ECU would only show 5k miles. Is that how Hyundai works, or can you genuinely run aftermarket mods without having to worry?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't know enough about this to say definitively, and hopefully someone else does, but my belief is that if Hyundai wants to know the car was tuned they can find out. My understanding is that mileage is stored outside of the ecu and will update to remain accurate as you swap ecu's but if you run jb4 or a swapped ecu and boost, etc are increased I have to believe that information is also stored outside of the ecu and can be determined.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know enough about this to say definitively, and hopefully someone else does, but my belief is that if Hyundai wants to know the car was tuned they can find out. My understanding is that mileage is stored outside of the ecu and will update to remain accurate as you swap ecu's but if you run jb4 or a swapped ecu and boost, etc are increased I have to believe that information is also stored outside of the ecu and can be determined.
See this is what I thought. Even with my Challenger, the mileage followed the ECU. That was the main reason I never modded it. Not that I ever used the warranty, but I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Hopefully someone from SXTH can chime in with a definite answer. I really love the car as is, but I'm already starting to get the mod bug again.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Another opinion on this is that if you were then going to attempt to modify the stock ECU to "match" the mileage of the vehicle again when you reinstall it, this would/could be considered odometer fraud.

-Sam

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've seen people say that if you use SXTH's spare ECU that should you need dealer work you swap back to stock ECU/parts and they'll never know you were tuned. How true is this? I was always under the impression that mileage stays with an ECU. So if I were to put a SXTH ECU on at 5k then need warranty work at 40k my stock ECU would only show 5k miles. Is that how Hyundai works, or can you genuinely run aftermarket mods without having to worry?
I have wondered about this myself. I would recommend joining the Veloster N owners club on facebook if you can. There is people apart of SXTH and those that have used it that can help out a lot

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
420 Posts
I don't know about the Veloster, but with the Gen Coupe it was common to simply swap ECUs. No mileage issues. People would do a cat delete, bolt-ons and run a custom tuned ECU. Once a year during inspection time they would reverse everything and all would be good. I am willing the bet the Veloster works the same way.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
The mileage will not match the ECU logs with a swapped ECU, so it can be detected by a Hyundai GDS and SAVY technician.

The mileage counter on the VN is a separate SEALED module and will update to the present mileage but won’t back off. So, if you have an OEM ECU with more mileage than a modified unit it will update.

There will be a disparity between the two. The biggest problem is the black box (Event Data Recorder, EDR) Which have been installed in most every car manufactured after 2012. It records mileage, speed, time as well as other specifications. It cannot be changed OR MODIFIED. It’s used by both the dealership, insurance companies along with some law enforcement under certain circumstances.

There are two GDS units, one for EDR use only and the other ECU/EDR access. If the dealership has any inkling of unauthorized modifications, they’ll check three locations EDR, ECU & mileage recorder module, that holds the current mileage. If anyone of these are in conflict, immediate loss of warranty.

Lastly, Hyundai records the mileage telemetry thru the MY HYUNDAI service system. They can check there for the current accurate up to date mileage. You aren’t going to get around it And 99% of the time it’s already printed on the service contract.

It’s becoming more of an issue with Hyundai dealerships and they‘ beginning to check more regularly, even during regular service visits.

Oh and don’t think your out of the woods with a piggyback either. It’s use can be detected as well, thru boost parameters and two specific logs generated by the ECU. Most dealerships won’t be bothered to check but there are those that do.

So you have a choice; to accept the responsibility or don’t. Removing a piggyback before a mandatory service, is not going to save a warranty if they decide to check. Either way there is no warranty with any tuning modification. Cant have the cake and eat it too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The mileage will not match the ECU logs with a swapped ECU, so it can be detected by a Hyundai GDS and SAVY technician.

The mileage counter ON THE VN is a separate SEALED unit and will update to the present mileage but won’t back off. So, if you have an OEM ECU with more mileage than a modified unit, there will be a disparity between the two. The biggest problem is the black box (Event Data Recorder, EDR). It records mileage, speed, time and other specifications. It cannot be changed OR MODIFIED. It’s used by both the dealership, insurance companies and some law enforcement In certain circumstances.

There are two GDS units, one for EDR use only and the other ECU/EDR access. If the dealership has any inkling of unauthorized modifications, they’ll check three locations EDR, ECU & mileage recorder that’d holds the current mileage. If anyone of these is in conflict, immediate loss of warranty.

Lastly, Hyundai records the mileage telemetry thru the Hyundai service system of My Hyundai. They can check there also for the current accurate up to date mileage. You aren’t going to get around it.

It’s becoming more of an issue with dealership and they are beginning to check more and more even during regular service visits.

Oh and don’t think your out of the woods with a piggyback either. It’s use can be detected as well, thru boost parameters, and two specific logs generated by the ECU. Most dealerships won’t be bothered to check but there are those that do.
Exactly what I was wanting to see. I knew there was something like this. In which case, no mods for me. I knew piggybacks wouldn't work, because I knew they had the ability to see increased boost, timing etc. I assumed it was the same as my Challenger. It's the reason I never modded or tuned it. Guess I'll just stay slow.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It’s a personal decision each owner has to make.
Been there, done that. Ended up having to shell out almost 10k to replace the engine in my Speed3 when it blew. The best part? I still owed $15k on the note at the time. I don't have any intentions of going down that road again. Thankfully I have plenty of fun in the N in stock form.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts