Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am contemplating purchasing a used Veloster N but it is from an online dealer so I am unable to test it out. Does anyone run a trunk bike rack on their Veloster N? I have the Allen Sports 102DN (link below if allowed) and it mounts perfectly on my BMW 228i. Just not sure how it will fare with the Veloster's spoiler and hatch.

I frequently make trips with my bike so it is important I have a convenient solution (roof racks are out). I know the Veloster N isn't the best car for this but I really want to make it work since it seems like an amazing car.

Trunk rack: Amazon Link

Thank you for any insights!

·
Registered
106 Posts
With the spoiler and how it mounts and is built I doubt this will work without pretty ALOT of stress on it and would like damage it or rub thru it quickly. This would be the same for any bike rack for that matter. If you want to mount a bike, it will have to go on top or you MIGHT be able to hack up the rear diffuser and find a way to install a light duty hitch, but I still think roof is where you will be.

Just cuirous, why is the roof not convient? The car roof line for the N is 55" , that is a few inches shorter than the Golf and WRX and both of these are easy to toss a bike on top off unless you are like 3ft tall. I understand the roof concern if you have an SUV or what not, getting a canoe or bike ontop of my Xterra where after the lift/ tires/ and Gobi safari rack, sits at 7'3" is a PITMFAH. The N, would be cake.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the spoiler and how it mounts and is built I doubt this will work without pretty ALOT of stress on it and would like damage it or rub thru it quickly. This would be the same for any bike rack for that matter. If you want to mount a bike, it will have to go on top or you MIGHT be able to hack up the rear diffuser and find a way to install a light duty hitch, but I still think roof is where you will be.

Just cuirous, why is the roof not convient? The car roof line for the N is 55" , that is a few inches shorter than the Golf and WRX and both of these are easy to toss a bike on top off unless you are like 3ft tall. I understand the roof concern if you have an SUV or what not, getting a canoe or bike ontop of my Xterra where after the lift/ tires/ and Gobi safari rack, sits at 7'3" is a PITMFAH. The N, would be cake.
Thanks for the insight! It looks like the top of the hatch lid is metal (from pictures I have seen) so just wondering why you think it would put undue stress on the hatch? I put electrical tape on the metal clips so it doesn't scratch the paint. It seems from looking at videos/pictures further, that I should be able to slip the straps between the openings in the spoiler to attach to the hatch lid? Let me know if this is a monumentally stupid idea but I am trying to convince myself this will work.

With roof racks it would be far too inconvenient. I live in a somewhat congested area and having to back out from my garage to load bikes and then to remember to unload my bikes before going back into the garage is more hassle than I am willing to deal with.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Nope, its your car, but I have personally removed the spoiler. There is NO gap to fit thru underneith. Its a weird design to explan but the bottom shelf of the wing is the one bolted to the hatch, but it also makes up about 4-5" of the hatch itself. thus you cant get the strap under it, you have to go over it, which when you strap it down will force the mounting shelf and bottom wing foil down, and where I think damage will occur. But there is no way to go under it either. Go to 2:40 in this video to see the rear window wiht the spoiler removed, it will sort of make sense (thanks Chris for the video, hope you dont mind me posting it here).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, its your car, but I have personally removed the spoiler. There is NO gap to fit thru underneith. Its a weird design to explan but the bottom shelf of the wing is the one bolted to the hatch, but it also makes up about 4-5" of the hatch itself. thus you cant get the strap under it, you have to go over it, which when you strap it down will force the mounting shelf and bottom wing foil down, and where I think damage will occur. But there is no way to go under it either. Go to 2:40 in this video to see the rear window wiht the spoiler removed, it will sort of make sense (thanks Chris for the video, hope you dont mind me posting it here).

Thank you for showing that! I guess the Veloster N isn't an option for me right now. Perhaps in my future! :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd take a look at the Saris Bones EX trunk rack. I know it's compatible with the non-N, and I think you should be able to feed the upper straps below the wing spoiler. In general the Bones series are just really nice bike racks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I use a Saris and feed the straps under the spoiler to the hatch upper lip. Hang a 30lb Trek Top Fuel 8 off it with no problems so far. I just stick 2 microfiber rags under the straps where they come off the lower part of the spoiler.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi guys, I am contemplating purchasing a used Veloster N but it is from an online dealer so I am unable to test it out. Does anyone run a trunk bike rack on their Veloster N? I have the Allen Sports 102DN (link below if allowed) and it mounts perfectly on my BMW 228i. Just not sure how it will fare with the Veloster's spoiler and hatch.

I frequently make trips with my bike so it is important I have a convenient solution (roof racks are out). I know the Veloster N isn't the best car for this but I really want to make it work since it seems like an amazing car.

Trunk rack: Amazon Link

Thank you for any insights!
I just take my front wheel off, put the rear seats down, and my bike fits in the trunk no problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts