Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got Eibach lowering springs(.6in drop in the front - .7in drop in the rear) for the N and the fitment is elite tier and exactly what I wanted. But the instructions require trimming the bump stops 20mm in the front use their rear bump stops which are shorter. Asked around a couple of people if they changed or trimmed their bump stops and they retained the stock ones even people with more drastic drops. Basically I would like any information on whether or not, anybody that has done lowering springs on the N has trimmed or changed to shorter bump stops? Thoughts on actually trimming the bump stops or shortening them with lowering springs? Also any other suspension info that you guys could give me will be appreciated!
Also, any torque specs for the suspension bolts when doing lowering springs for the N?
Thanks!
-Chris

·
Registered
44 Posts
I haven't done lowering springs on this car, but have on my last three. While the Eibach drop is relatively mild, the technically better way is to trim the bump stop.

What disadvantages are you concerned about when considering trimming the bumpstop?

Bumpstops are essentially very stiff springs that the dampers are not designed to control (because you're only supposed to contact them once in a while in big impact situations). When lowered you will contact the bumpstops more often. This means a more rough and uncontrolled bouncy ride, more often. For regular street driving this is probably tolerable, for performance handling, contacting bumpstops can cause instability and loss of traction.

Trimming bumpstops a reasonable amount does not mean you will bottom out your damper. A reasonably trimmed bumpstop will still squish into a block of rubber that stops travel before the damper bottoms out.

See this from Tein:

Torque specs for front suspension from the service manual:

What other suspension info are you interested in?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see I see. Thanks for the torque specs!
If bumptops are trimmed on a lowered car, does that mean that the suspension can compress more than stock since the starting point of the suspension is lower than OEM and shorter bumpstops mean more travel until bumpstop is hit? Also, would you recommend trimming bumpstops with your experience?
Thanks again!
-Chris

·
Registered
44 Posts
At the end of the day, when you lower the car via lowering springs on the stock struts/shocks, you lose total travel .

When you lower by .6" and don't trim your bumpstop you will lose .6" of total travel before bottoming out the bumpstop and you lose .6" of travel before contacting the bumpstop (this is why you contact the bumpstop more often).

When you lower by .6" and do trim your bumpstop you will lose .6" of total travel* before bottoming out but you don't lose any travel before contacting the bumpstops (so you would contact bumpstops as often as stock, roughly).

*Technically you lose slightly less than .6" because the trimmed bumpstop will be slightly less thick when squished. This is splitting hairs though.

I would recommend to trim the bumpstops.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the end of the day, when you lower the car via lowering springs on the stock struts/shocks, you lose total travel .

When you lower by .6" and don't trim your bumpstop you will lose .6" of total travel before bottoming out the bumpstop and you lose .6" of travel before contacting the bumpstop (this is why you contact the bumpstop more often).

When you lower by .6" and do trim your bumpstop you will lose .6" of total travel* before bottoming out but you don't lose any travel before contacting the bumpstops (so you would contact bumpstops as often as stock, roughly).

*Technically you lose slightly less than .6" because the trimmed bumpstop will be slightly less thick when squished. This is splitting hairs though.

I would recommend to trim the bumpstops.
Oh okay makes sense! Also, how were your shocks life affected on the cars you lowered with springs?
-Chris

·
Registered
44 Posts
I never had issues with shocks on any of my cars except my e46. I can't really say if the shocks died due to age or the springs though. On my last car I had the springs on the stock struts/dampers for around 80-90k kms (~50k miles) and never had any issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts