Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

Trickle charger/ battery maintainer

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  RedVN 
#1 ·
I am probably over thinking it, but I did notice that the positive post has a little fuse on it. I am thinking that if I am out of town for an extended period of time I would use my keyline maintenance charger with the cigarette adapter to key the battery in top condition. Is there any reason ( computer) that this is not recommended?

#2 ·
If you're asking if it's alright to utilize a battery charger to keep a peak charge in the battery, the answer is, yes. However, the car is utilizing a AGM battery and requires a smart charger, that will not overcharge the battery with a continuous flow of energy. Smart Chargers shut themselves down and run a sequences of test to keep the battery on peak charge. The best are ones with a desulfating cycle.

This is the one I use;
It is inclusive of everything the battery requires to maintain a peak charge and battery a optimal efficiency.

#3 ·
I guess I am old-school and cheap. I am charging my car every three weeks with a regular charger to keep it up to date due to the parasitic load of the electronics. I charge my tractor battery every three weeks also. I have thought of one of these but see it as a luxury. I am open to repudiation here. :)

#4 ·
Things have change between lead acid and Gel. Lead acid you can top off the battery with fluid or even change the fluid completely but desulfating a battery is a must on either type. With a smart charger, you just plug it in and forget about it, the charger does the rest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.