Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I came across this YouTube (link below) video changing their Veloster N trans fluid at 10K miles. At 1:15 minute into the video they showed the drain plug full of debris (gunk?) on it. Now Im thinking of changing mine too, Im at 9K miles. What are yalls thoughts after watching?

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N PP
125 Posts
When I did the transmission oil changes on all my previous cars they always had metal shavings, it’s normal. i would change it based off of the owners manual. They say to inspect every 48 months or 24,000 miles and if you drive in “severe conditions” replace every 72,000 miles. Not sure how you would inspect it because I don’t think our cars have dipsticks to check like some cars do.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just my opinion but change the trans oil right after 600 miles and use Redline fluids. I waited until the end of 2019 at like 9k miles and used Redline 75W-85. Shifting feels A LOT better and I feel it more accurate going into gears too. I question myself why I waited so long because shifting was very notchy since new and then got slightly worse as it was nearing the end of 2019. Like 2nd gear has a notch in it before you can fully go into 2nd. As soon as I switched to Redline, the 2nd gear notch was a lot less. After a few thousand miles, the 2nd gear notch is pretty much gone and shifting is great.

I plan on changing mine every year, regardless of miles but I definitely don't recommend keeping the OEM fluids from factory still in there after like 100 miles.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just my opinion but change the trans oil right after 600 miles and use Redline fluids. I waited until the end of 2019 at like 9k miles and used Redline 75W-85. Shifting feels A LOT better and I feel it more accurate going into gears too. I question myself why I waited so long because shifting was very notchy since new and then got slightly worse as it was nearing the end of 2019. Like 2nd gear has a notch in it before you can fully go into 2nd. As soon as I switched to Redline, the 2nd gear notch was a lot less. After a few thousand miles, the 2nd gear notch is pretty much gone and shifting is great.

I plan on changing mine every year, regardless of miles but I definitely don't recommend keeping the OEM fluids from factory still in there after like 100 miles.
You used Red Line MT-85?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts

Check the shift linkage for proper adjustment. It's a known issue.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You used Red Line MT-85?
Yeah and it feels fine. I researched the heck out of what fluid to use and the MT-85 was specifically designed for Hyundai/Kia cars BEFORE the company changed up all the owner's manuals in all their stick shift to use 70W or in this case, the Redline MT-LV. As to why they changed it up, no one knows. I do autox and track with my car so I went with the MT-85 instead of the MT-LV and it's been great.

Check the shift linkage for proper adjustment. It's a known issue.
I have the Forge short shifter installed and have messed with those cables at least once a week all summer. Shifting into gear really didn't feel any different when going from shortest to fully extended and the only thing that changed was the throw length. I even lubed them and they didn't feel any different.

It's funny though because when I did the fluid change, I wasn't expecting this much of a difference in shifting. I just had a thought like "Man, I should change the trans oil too because I did so much autox and a track day this summer". A few others that did a trans fluid change also had some pretty similar results to me in terms of just having a better overall shifter feel. Even had a buddy with a brand new Type-R, 100 miles on it, kept popping out of 2nd gear when clutching in. He had the trans replaced under warranty and it STILL kept popping out of gear. He made the switch to Redline fluids and it stopped popping out of 2nd gear. It's odd that oil makes this much of a difference but in this case, it really does.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Solid Shifter and Trans bushing will remove any slop or gate issues. The OEM units are far too sloppy. Most of the issues with a gear selector popping out of gear are due to shifting way to fast. Most who autox, slap the shifter to get their hands back on the wheel and don't fully engage the gear. High gear shifts, need to be deliberate and smooth.

A better grade of trans and gear oil can make a bit of difference. However, not in the way it's being utilized.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah and it feels fine. I researched the heck out of what fluid to use and the MT-85 was specifically designed for Hyundai/Kia cars BEFORE the company changed up all the owner's manuals in all their stick shift to use 70W or in this case, the Redline MT-LV. As to why they changed it up, no one knows. I do autox and track with my car so I went with the MT-85 instead of the MT-LV and it's been great.

I have the Forge short shifter installed and have messed with those cables at least once a week all summer. Shifting into gear really didn't feel any different when going from shortest to fully extended and the only thing that changed was the throw length. I even lubed them and they didn't feel any different.
Interesting. If you don't mind me asking: are you satisfied with the current state, or do you plan to make any further changes (e.g. solid trans and/or shifter bushings)?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Interesting. If you don't mind me asking: are you satisfied with the current state, or do you plan to make any further changes (e.g. solid trans and/or shifter bushings)?
I plan on getting bushings further down the road but for now, my budget is focused on other things. Although IMO, the shifter feels fine with the stock bushings. There's some slop but it's no different than my previous car, a 13 Civic Si, where I put solid cable bushings and base bushings in that already.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts