Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some recommendation on transmission fluid.
I used Amsoil severe gear 75-90 on all my other track cars and wonder if this would be ok for Veloster N when manual recommends 70w fluid.
TIA

·
Registered
55 Posts
Need some recommendation on transmission fluid.
I used Amsoil severe gear 75-90 on all my other track cars and wonder if this would be ok for Veloster N when manual recommends 70w fluid.
TIA
By coincidence, I've been researching this as well. Given my location (AZ) and driving style I'm leaning toward using Red Line MT-85.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What Hyundai advises.
While I certainly agree that what Hyundai advises is the place to start, what about adjustments made for your local climate? I assume what they advise is meant to be suitable for every climate they sell the car in, from northern Canada to the equator. That doesn't necessarily mean that it is the best for either of those extremes and may even be borderline at either one of them. While it may be great for a climate like Ohio or something.. hot in the summer, cold in the winter. But what about Miami, or Houston, where the last white Christmas was in like 1942? Would not a tweak say from 70W to 85W potentially be an improvement over the "balanced" approach, meant to be "suitable" for all climates, but tailored to none?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Hyundai utilizes a specific oil to cover all climates. South Korea has regional extremes as well. If you as an owner have problems with a transmission and they find a heavier gear oil that is not with in the specifications they allow, you can be held to task and fault along with a possible refusal of a warranty claim. You can tell the difference between 70W and 85W quite easily both by viscosity and visually. They can also test it if they have doubts.

You're welcome to speculate all you want about extremes and regions but it's not going to matter to Hyundai. They specify what your able to use, if it doesn't meet their specifications you lose. I've lived in all sorts of extremes, both countries and regions and it's not a factor or justification for utilizing something they don't specify. If something happens and you follow their guidelines then you're covered.

·
Administrator
1,877 Posts
Do NOT use any GL-5 rated gear oil in this transmission. It contains too much sulfur and you will ruin any yellow metals in the transmission. Please use a GL-4 rated fluid. I use RedLine MT-LV since it's the best thing to use for this particular vehicle. It's rated at 70/75 weight and will NOT void the Hyundai warranty. RedLine even states it will not void recommended factory warranties. If you want a performance fluid that will NOT void the Hyundai warranty then this is it.

Best regards and stay healthy,

-Mike

·
Administrator
1,877 Posts
I feel 90 would be too heavy if you are concerned about any warranty related issues. But, this is just my opinion.

Br,

-Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts